White Sox sponsor Little League teams

witesoxfan

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...59050--mlb.html

The Chicago White Sox recently went to several youth baseball and softball leagues in the Chicago area with a tantalizing offer for the upcoming season: The team would sponsor the entire league, providing jerseys and caps for all of the players, along with free coaching clinics and training videos from big-league coaches, and the opportunity for all players to attend clinics at reduced prices.

There was just one condition: All of the youth team nicknames must have some variation of "Sox" in them.

Really cool marketing idea hopefully for the future of the franchise, plus you get your name out there a ton. Also, it's a slow, cute offseason fluff piece.

LOL.

Ryan Issel, an Oak Park parent and lifelong Cubs fan … bristles at the thought of his 9-year-old son and 8-year-old daughter donning White Sox uniforms.

"To go to every game now and see Sox, Sox, Sox, Sox," Issel said. "It annoys me. I think if it benefits the overall league and helps people who maybe can't afford it, then I'm all for it. But I don't understand why the whole uniform has to say 'Sox.' "

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
There was a story about this the other day. Oak Park took them up on their offer and a few parents are all pissed off about it.

I grew up there and played little league all the way up, that league is literally the worst when it comes to politics.

If OP parents can't accept free jerseys and training for a freaking team name (which was all local businesses anyways, and they struggled getting some sponsors), then they deserve how much that league has gone into the s***ter.

*Yes, I'm biased. They kicked out my favorite coach of all time because some new parents wanted more power.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
Why do so many people expect something for nothing?
If I ran a little league, and the sox offered me free uniforms, I'd take it in a heart beat. I'd do the same if it was the cubs. The financial windfall that represents is too great to ignore simply because I dont like the team offering it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
LOL.

So funny. I know Ryan. His kids go to school with mine. Anyway, the problem isn't so much at the upper age levels. The problem is at T-Ball where tradition has each team named after a major league team. It really is lame to make those kids change team names now, and the Sox/OP should have made some exception to just have a patch or something. Even as a Sox fan, it annoys me. Plus, it is not like they are going to use the money saved for anything good. The fields are lousy in Oak Park and have been for a long time. The Sox should have sponsored the fields and cleaned them up good. That would have made a difference.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
So funny. I know Ryan. His kids go to school with mine. Anyway, the problem isn't so much at the upper age levels. The problem is at T-Ball where tradition has each team named after a major league team. It really is lame to make those kids change team names now, and the Sox/OP should have made some exception to just have a patch or something. Even as a Sox fan, it annoys me. Plus, it is not like they are going to use the money saved for anything good. The fields are lousy in Oak Park and have been for a long time. The Sox should have sponsored the fields and cleaned them up good. That would have made a difference.
The Sox, as essentially a mega sponsor of the league, have the right to dictate terms. It's no different than if Chico's Bail Bonds wanted the teams to be named after them.

I played on t-ball teams where we only had a park district tshirt. No names or anything...

We never had major league team names. I played from Tee-Ball all the way through Pony. Super-young leagues, we just had colored jerseys. After that, it was local business sponsors - I remember playing for teams like Ambrecht Jewelers and Kelly's Appliances. But the Sox are a business too, so if they want to sponsor a team, I think it makes perfect sense to ask for uniform control like that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
We never had major league team names. I played from Tee-Ball all the way through Pony. Super-young leagues, we just had colored jerseys. After that, it was local business sponsors - I remember playing for teams like Ambrecht Jewelers and Kelly's Appliances. But the Sox are a business too, so if they want to sponsor a team, I think it makes perfect sense to ask for uniform control like that.

That's what OP does after T-ball, they have local businesses sponsor teams, but they've struggled to get full sponsorship in the past.

This deal guarantees free jerseys for each team, and should help the league improve elsewhere (many of the southside fields could use work, or they can buy new team bats and equipment, but most importantly it helps the families that couldn't afford it before now should be able to sign up).

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)

Um, change team names? Do you really think t-ballers are going to care about a team name change during December? I could understand it getting confusing during the middle of the season, but heck most of those kids barely know what's going on during the game anyways.

The league chose to accept this, on the Sox's terms. It's not like the Sox are coming in, slapping there name on everything, and leaving. They are providing real coaching and training, unlike the mostly terrible parent-volunteer coaches who just want to play their son.

I played on a travelling team and the coach was a huge Cub fan. Later he bought a bus and painted it white with blue pinstripes. Our uniforms were white with blue pin stripes. I'd have been thrilled if the Sox sponsored us instead of Lakes Bowl and Ace Hardware

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
Um, change team names? Do you really think t-ballers are going to care about a team name change during December? I could understand it getting confusing during the middle of the season, but heck most of those kids barely know what's going on during the game anyways.

The league chose to accept this, on the Sox's terms. It's not like the Sox are coming in, slapping there name on everything, and leaving. They are providing real coaching and training, unlike the mostly terrible parent-volunteer coaches who just want to play their son.

Certain teams traditionally come from specific schools in Oak Park. The kids stay on a team year after year for three years and forge an identity. I know it sounds pretty strange but it is a lot of fun and a source of pride. The coaching can be pretty good and fair as well. Like I said, at the upper levels it makes total sense, but they should have left T-Ball alone.