2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
GTA IV Complete at Best Buy for $15? Done.

So I never played this. No idea why, just never got around to it. The graphics look amazing, how did this come out in 2008? Why did I not play it!??!

All I can think about is getting home and firing this up - it's so realistic. I love running people over and killing cops more than ever with the realism. With GTA IV, Ballad of Gay Tony, and The Lost and The Damned, I'm set until V comes out. This is great.

I want to shoot this b**** Niko is trying to date, though.

/conversations of half a decade ago.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
So I never played this. No idea why, just never got around to it. The graphics look amazing, how did this come out in 2008? Why did I not play it!??!

All I can think about is getting home and firing this up - it's so realistic. I love running people over and killing cops more than ever with the realism. With GTA IV, Ballad of Gay Tony, and The Lost and The Damned, I'm set until V comes out. This is great.

I want to shoot this b**** Niko is trying to date, though.

/conversations of half a decade ago.

How the hell did you not play GTA IV all this time?

I still haven't either. I'm just getting through Fable II, but taking my sweet ass time doing so.

It's not my fault that Bethesda makes ridiculously awesome games, that Madden 12 was one of the best football games of all time, and that NBA 2k12 is a sports fan's methamphetamine.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
I still haven't either. I'm just getting through Fable II, but taking my sweet ass time doing so.

It's not my fault that Bethesda makes ridiculously awesome games, that Madden 12 was one of the best football games of all time, and that NBA 2k12 is a sports fan's methamphetamine.

NBA 2k13 is even better.

As for your Madden comment, this still annoys me with how much worse it's been since.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
NBA 2k13 is even better.

As for your Madden comment, this still annoys me with how much worse it's been since.

I can't play it. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's more "realistic." It's just not fun. Plus it's not like Madden '12 was unrealistic...coverage is pretty tight and, so long as you're playing at an appropriate difficulty setting, it's not ridiculously easy (although with my 94 OVR team in franchise, I still end up throwing for 70+ TDs with 3-4 guys over 1000 yards receiving and a running back with 1800 yards. When no one is below a 92 as a starter, it's hard not to.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
I basically never played it because it didnt have franchise. Pretty annoying.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
I didn't buy it because it didn't have franchise mode.

Since the entire planet b****ed about that, they added it with an update. That said, Madden f***ing blows now.

Disney Shuts Down LucasArts

Staff were informed of the shutdown this morning, according to a reliable Kotaku source. Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio's current projects—Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313—were cancelled. Disney will still use the LucasArts name to license games, but the studio is no more.

Hypothetically, the company could license First Assault or 1313 to a different developer, but those would be different games entirely.

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," LucasArts parent company LucasFilm said in a statement. "As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.”

QUOTE (TRU @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 01:53 AM)
I just beat the game in about 7 hours, one sitting.. so yeah its VERY short and that's a bummer.. however the ending, in my opinion, was very satisfying and made the short game worth it. Anyone else get to the ending yet, looking for another opinion on it.

The whole story, just like BioShock's, was fantastic.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 11:48 PM)
I'm not big into FPS games, but the first Bioshock didn't really do it for me. I guess it's 5 years old now so that's part of why it's not holding up in my mind, but I don't get what made the gameplay so great.

The gameplay is average. The environment and storyline are superb.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Oh god damnit. Star Wars 1313 looked like the first Star Wars game I would purchase since Rouge Squadron and Pod Racer on the N64.

hasnt that game been in development for a really long time? That is never good, just ask Gearbox about Aliens: Colonial Marines

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
Since the entire planet b****ed about that, they added it with an update. That said, Madden f***ing blows now.

lol

Really?

Ill have to check that.

As for the Disney Lucas Arts stuff, you really should take a wait and see approach. Disney is just moving to a different model, where they will license Star Wars stuff to game developers, instead of building the games in house.

This very likely could mean more Star Wars games, as they wont be limited to Lucas Arts. And Disney will be getting paid regardless of how crappy the game does.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
lol

Really?

Ill have to check that.

As for the Disney Lucas Arts stuff, you really should take a wait and see approach. Disney is just moving to a different model, where they will license Star Wars stuff to game developers, instead of building the games in house.

This very likely could mean more Star Wars games, as they wont be limited to Lucas Arts. And Disney will be getting paid regardless of how crappy the game does.

Save yourself some time and money and just stick with Madden 12.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)

You sure this is right? It was my understanding that the feature was always there, it was just hidden behind the "coach career" mode. In essence, EA called "franchise mode" something different and people freaked out for no reason. It never actually went away, you just had to play the role of a coach to get there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
Save yourself some time and money and just stick with Madden 12.

I already own it

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
You sure this is right? It was my understanding that the feature was always there, it was just hidden behind the "coach career" mode. In essence, EA called "franchise mode" something different and people freaked out for no reason. It never actually went away, you just had to play the role of a coach to get there.

If I am correct, you couldnt have multiple coaches.

My friends and I create a franchise with each of us owning a team. We then would draft, sim seasons, play championships when we were together.

It was my understanding you could no longer do this in madden 13. I tried when it first came out, but I never tried in the last 6 months.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)

Yes, I'm sure. There was a big popup about it being available due to popular demand. That said, game still sucked.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)

This truly is a shame. Some of my favorite games growing up were LucasArts productions, including Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, any of the Monkey Island games (although lets not kid ourselves, they weren't the same from the third release onward), the early Star Wars Jedi Knight games (Dark Forces, DF2, JKII, JA, KOTOR, KOTOR2 etc.) and of course the X-Wing vs Tie Fighter games. Big chunk of my childhood just got shutdown.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
I already own it

If I am correct, you couldnt have multiple coaches.

My friends and I create a franchise with each of us owning a team. We then would draft, sim seasons, play championships when we were together.

It was my understanding you could no longer do this in madden 13. I tried when it first came out, but I never tried in the last 6 months.

You could have multiple coaches online, dunno if that was available offline

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 06:03 PM)
This truly is a shame. Some of my favorite games growing up were LucasArts productions, including Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, any of the Monkey Island games (although lets not kid ourselves, they weren't the same from the third release onward), the early Star Wars Jedi Knight games (Dark Forces, DF2, JKII, JA, KOTOR, KOTOR2 etc.) and of course the X-Wing vs Tie Fighter games. Big chunk of my childhood just got shutdown.

That was my reaction, too, but then the article pointed out that the studio really hasn't done all that much in a while.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
That was my reaction, too, but then the article pointed out that the studio really hasn't done all that much in a while.

I think they were involved with SWTOR back in December 2011, which was alright but quickly got boring. Honestly I haven't played many LucasArts games since.. well.. probably KOTOR2, but still is a shame to see the company close, regardless of their lack of recent successful releases.