Most Pleasant Surprise of 2013

Cali

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 07:29 AM)
I'm happy for Morel to be healthy, but he hasn't earned a chance at the MLB level given the roster's current composition.

That's just silly. You want the best line up on the field, and we have six weeks to determine who that is. If he can make the team and contribute, why wouldn't you want him?

If Morel is healthy, which when talking about backs, I always find questionable at best, I don't see a reason why so many are so fast to throw him to the curb. A lot of people were excited about him last year. He clearly was injured. He couldn't even hit at AAA where he dominated earlier.

I really don't think you can use last season against him. This time of year, most injured guys are either 100% healthy, in the best shape of their lives, never have felt better, or right on schedule. We will have to wait to find out, but if he's healthy and can play, he can become a bench player, and go in and play 3B with Keppinger the regular, but the guy who moves around depending on the line up.

I've never been sold on Morel, but his glove is good, and he has shown flashes of being able to hit in the past.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)
I'm happy for Morel to be healthy, but he hasn't earned a chance at the MLB level given the roster's current composition.

I mean, I am relatively satisfied with Keppinger at 3b but it's not like he's the answer to all our 3b prayers. Really, what's the opportunity cost of giving Morel some time?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
I mean, I am relatively satisfied with Keppinger at 3b but it's not like he's the answer to all our 3b prayers. Really, what's the opportunity cost of giving Morel some time?

Exactly. I think his peak is past Kep. Plus if Morel could play, it would make our IF a LOT deeper.

Morel can ONLY play third, Keppinger can play other positions, but you signed him to a bigger contract, so he will probably be the favorite. Besides the fact that he's a contact guy who doesn't strike out and that's the kind of player the Sox want now. Unless you're gonna trade Beckham, Morel is gonna have to hit .500 in ST and show no signs of pain to get more PT than Kepp.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
Morel can ONLY play third, Keppinger can play other positions, but you signed him to a bigger contract, so he will probably be the favorite. Besides the fact that he's a contact guy who doesn't strike out and that's the kind of player the Sox want now. Unless you're gonna trade Beckham, Morel is gonna have to hit .500 in ST and show no signs of pain to get more PT than Kepp.

But if Morel proves worthy of a roster spot, you can carry him as the back up infielder and have Keppinger move around when he's in the game. IMO, Morel is battling Angel Sanchez for a roster spot. Clearly, if he beats him out, no one should shed any tears Angel Sanchez didn't make the team. Sanchez being able to play SS probably gives him an advantage, so Morel is probably going to have to be a lot better than him during the spring.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
But if Morel proves worthy of a roster spot, you can carry him as the back up infielder and have Keppinger move around when he's in the game. IMO, Morel is battling Angel Sanchez for a roster spot. Clearly, if he beats him out, no one should shed any tears Angel Sanchez didn't make the team. Sanchez being able to play SS probably gives him an advantage, so Morel is probably going to have to be a lot better than him during the spring.

Yes, Angel Sanchez is the only real backup SS, so he would have to be awful not make the team.

Best case scenario, they keep Morel for AAA, and if he's killing it, he's ready to go if Keppinger isn't good enough for regular play or if an injury happens.

I've got to be honest, I see no reason why Morel should break camp with the big league team.

He needs to prove himself over an extended period of time, which means regular at-bats at AAA for at least a couple months. A strong spring shouldn't be enough to demote Keppinger or Beckham from the get-go. If he does well in AAA, then you can reevaluate the situation mid-season, depending on how the guys ahead of him are doing.

Also, Morel doesn't make any sense as a reserve infielder. I get you can move Keppinger around, but you still wouldn't have a backup SS. Plus Morel wouldn't be getting consistent at-bats, which is what he desperately needs.