4/23 Games

flavum

Courtney Hawkins not in the starting line-up two consecutive days.

Have they sent him to Kanny or extended spring?

On a side note, kind of sad to see Freddy Garcia pitching in AAA...wonder why he's still hanging on. Guess an athlete at that age hasn't figured what else to do with his life and future, so you keep playing until you don't have that option anymore.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 05:35 PM)

On a side note, kind of sad to see Freddy Garcia pitching in AAA...wonder why he's still hanging on. Guess an athlete at that age hasn't figured what else to do with his life and future, so you keep playing until you don't have that option anymore.

Mental break for Courtney, per the Dash directly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 05:35 PM)

Maybe he just really enjoys the game?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
Mental break for Courtney, per the Dash directly.

So that's step 2.

1. Drop him down in the lineup

2. Sit him down for a couple days

3. Move him to Kannapolis, where he should have been to begin with.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)

I'm rooting for Zaleski to get a call this year. That would be a nice story.

Well, we had Santiago and Axelrod and Quintana (especially) last year.

Why not?

Although I'd guess 90% of fans would rather see Johnson or Snodgress get some September starts.

Mitchell with his 1st HR of the year after being recently demoted back to AA.

Bassitt doing pretty nicely in his 2nd full year in W-S.

Snodgress coasting through 3 IP.

Micah Johnson increases his league lead and maybe entire minor league lead in SB to 14. He is 14/16 so far, has stolen 3rd multiple times in the past few games.

EDIT: Yep, leads entire MiLB. Billy Hamilton is 2nd with 13.

Edited by Chilihead90

Not sure where to put this. Via Sickels:

***Chicago White Sox pitching prospect Erik Johnson had a great start for Double-A Birmingham yesterday, fanning 10 over seven innings of work in a 3-1 victory over Huntsville. He now has a 1.07 ERA with a 25/5 K/BB in 25 innings with just 14 hits allowed. A second round pick from the University of California in 2011, Johnson does not get nearly as much attention as he deserves. He has a low-to-mid-90s fastball, along with a curve, slider, and changeup. He's throwing strikes and has a good statistical track record. Performance and stuff plus an early-round draft pedigree equals prospect. Don't ignore him.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/4/23/4...ameday-april-23

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
Not sure where to put this. Via Sickels:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/4/23/4...ameday-april-23

It's going to take a lot more performances like this to put him on the Top 100 list.

Seems there is so much skepticism out there now about any Sox prospect being legit. It will take 2-3 more years of rebuilding the system to overcome that.

Even the praise we receive is begrudging.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 08:46 PM)
That goes for just about every hitting prospect the Sox have. Are hitting numbers down throughout the minors?

Good question. They seem to be teaching ultra-aggressiveness. I think I've heard Buddy Bell mention this.

I know Jeff Manto hates walks.

It's a mess.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)
Good question. They seem to be teaching ultra-aggressiveness. I think I've heard Buddy Bell mention this.

It's a mess.

Christ is a change in philosophy need in this organization.

If you specifically stated your biggest issue you want to work on is cutting down on strike outs, why would you want your raw minor leaguers to be aggressive? That's just f***ing up their development ever more!

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 10:10 PM)
Micah Johnson added another hit and another SB before his night was over. Is now 15/17.

I wonder if he makes W-S by June.

He is definitely deserving, plays great defense too, seen him play 3 times in person, really impressed me

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
It's going to take a lot more performances like this to put him on the Top 100 list.

Seems there is so much skepticism out there now about any Sox prospect being legit. It will take 2-3 more years of rebuilding the system to overcome that.

Even the praise we receive is begrudging.

When it comes to pitching, we really should get respect. We are churning out quality major league pitchers on a regular basis.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)

It's a mess.

I thought Manto said they first want to teach their minor leaguers how to hit and make contact, which requires them to be ultra aggressive initially. Once they've worked out any flaws and have mastered their swing, then they want them to become more selective. IIRC, he seemed to imply that it's hard to make adjustments if you're taking a ton of pitches and never swinging the bat.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but I thought that was his approach to developing hitters at the minor league level.

Also, Mully & Hanley just said Hawkins has taken 1 pitch in the last week or 10 days. If that's true, it's explains some of that 60% K rate.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)

Well, we had Santiago and Axelrod and Quintana (especially) last year.

Why not?

Although I'd guess 90% of fans would rather see Johnson or Snodgress get some September starts.

What do those three have to do with Zaleski?