Who are our trading partners?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 02:09 AM)
The Sox don't need "trading partners". That philosophy resulted in the giveaways of Quentin, Jackson, Santos et al. to our friendly trading partners. Deal with the team that offers the the best deal, regardless of whether they are Williams' friends or in our division.

I am sure the OP meant trading partners as in "teams that need players at the positions we have available to trade". The Rockies aren't going to be interested in Alexei Ramirez, which means they aren't a good trading partner.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 01:12 AM)
I am sure the OP meant trading partners as in "teams that need players at the positions we have available to trade". The Rockies aren't going to be interested in Alexei Ramirez, which means they aren't a good trading partner.

That's probably what he meant, but the Sox have had trading partners: Arizona and Toronto. Only one of numerous trades wiith those great partners helped the Sox at all (the first Quentin trade).

Who would want Alexei?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
Well, because no one here has any f'in' clue what Hahn's plan is. I am sure his plan was to let the season play out, hopefully come July the SOX are in a position to add a piece here or there and be a contender through September. Clearly that is not going to happen unless the SOX roll of 25 of 30 again, which is nearly impossible.

I doubt the SOX trade much pitching. I like Reed alot, but as others have noted, if someone wants to pay a king's ransom for him, it is hard to ignore. Relievers are relievers, and while he looks primed to be a good one for awhile, they are somewhat replaceable. If someone wants to send you a player who can be plugged into the everyday lineup and produce for years to come, it is hard to ignore.

We will all find out soon enough what Hahn's plan is. I think the most likely scenario is that the players who have contracts expiring at the end of this year will be moved (sans Paulie, for a multitude of reasons, one being no one will want him at this point), and the others will stay. Hahn will try to land a fish or two in the FA market (give me Morales and/or McCann or Granderson) and try again in 2014. One player who is not close to free agency that I could see moved is De Aza. I think his lazy defensive play is starting to wear a little thin with the organization, and if the SOX can get a team to give up a decent piece, he will be moved. Problem is that no one is really ready to take over the CF slot for 2014, but heck, let Thompson, Walker and Mitchell battle it out, even though none are ready. Let Danks get the abs for the rest of 2013 if De Aza is moved. Granderson could be an option in CF, but his days in CF are numbered and he doesn't exactly fit the type of player the SOX need (high OBP, high average), but he is decent buy low candidate.

Well, glad to hear you don't think the Sox will be trading much pitching.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 07:13 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/team-report-c...08549--mlb.html

Looks like they're targeting the 3rd week of July for a Peavy comeback. But still hasn't even been given permission to ride a stationary bike or do any kind of movements or exercising.

That gives him 2, at best 3 starts before the deadline. Most likely, 2.

That should be enough for other teams to gauge his value for the deadline. The key is to make sure that he is in a position to succeed when he gets back. I am sure teams will be scouting his rehab games as well.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
FWIW,

A buddy of mine is a huge Orioles fan and he's mentioned multiple times now that he's heard the Orioles have been making calls on some of our pitchers. They definitely have some pieces in their farm system I wouldn't mind getting our hands on.

They are another extremely logical destination for Peavy.

Delmonico seems like a nice piece, and he's hitting for a lot of power as a 20 year old. Judging his numbers and scouting reports, he sounds like Konerko (except left handed).

A guy the Sox will look at too is Urrutia, but with the way he's hitting, I can't imagine the Orioles trading him without first giving him a shot. He'd be a real nice piece to add too.

Alen Hanson and Alex Dickerson from the Pirates would be a couple nice additions, especially if Alexei were to be traded. Dickerson could be that elusive left-handed bat the Sox need, and he could be the first baseman of the future. Both of these guys are pretty highly ranked in their system, though. It could be very difficult to pry them away.

MINNEAPOLIS -- White Sox general manager Rick Hahn met with the media Tuesday as talk of the July Trade Deadline already dominated the conversation.

Hahn noted that he has already started to receive some calls -- as is usual once the First-Year Player Draft is over -- and especially with the position the White Sox are in, nine games out of first in the American League Central at the start of play Wednesday.

"Given the way we've played thus far, it's not a real surprise we've had some phone calls -- more of the vulture-type phone calls, the type that traditionally we're more accustomed to making," Hahn said. "But that's part of the hole that we've dug for ourselves, that teams are going to look at us as potential sellers when the Deadline comes, and they're starting to lay a little bit of that ground work now."

Hahn didn't want to assess the potential movement of any individual players, especially with so much time left before the Deadline. He did say that regardless of how the next six weeks go, they will have "25 guys in that clubhouse every day and a coaching staff every day that's focused on winning that night's game."

But to deal with hypotheticals about any individual player would distract the White Sox from trying to turn their season around.

Paul Konerko added that the potential for a team to lose certain players in a trade is simply a part of the game players have to deal with.

"When it comes to that kind of stuff, I don't want to say you can't control those things because you can obviously as a team and as a player going on the field, [you] can control it in a way," Konerko said. "But all you can do is your best, and that's what we've been doing. I think everybody knows and is mature enough in here. … You just know going into it with this job that the management will make moves if they see fit at any time to do that."

I don't know about the bats yall are mentioning but I definitely don't want to see any more extreme high K guys in here. I know that's a part of the game for a lot of run producers but I'd rather look for better floors out of prospects/unproven MLB players, especially since we'll likely have at least 1 corner OF spot open, maybe 2 (at least 1) corner IF spots open, plus DH is open, and FA always contains run producers who aren't in extremely high demand since there's nowhere to hide their D. We'll have those spots where you can hide someone's D.

Please get me lots of contact-hitting pure SS (nobody who projects to move to 2B though) and RHSP. At least one good defensive OF who can hit a little bit & isn't going to K 6000 times would be nice too.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what the Sox can get. I've never really looked at other teams' prospects because the Sox are typically buyers (or at least standing pat) at the deadline. But there are some really exciting prospects out there that would be great for the Sox.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
I'm actually looking forward to seeing what the Sox can get. I've never really looked at other teams' prospects because the Sox are typically buyers (or at least standing pat) at the deadline. But there are some really exciting prospects out there that would be great for the Sox.

Keep in mind, it's a very safe assumption that the White Sox will get zero of the exciting players people are looking at.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
Keep in mind, it's a very safe assumption that the White Sox will get zero of the exciting players people are looking at.

Sigh...I know, but it's nice to dream. I certainly hope something good will come out of this horrendous season.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
That should be enough for other teams to gauge his value for the deadline. The key is to make sure that he is in a position to succeed when he gets back. I am sure teams will be scouting his rehab games as well.

A wise GM would give little to nothing for Peavy and make you pay part of his salary. They only thing Peavy has excelled at is going on the DL.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
A wise GM would give little to nothing for Peavy and make you pay part of his salary. They only thing Peavy has excelled at is going on the DL.

Then that GM doesn't get Peavy, forcing him to take on a much lesser player at his price, overpay for someone else, or miss out altogether, in which case, should his team miss the playoffs, the fans & local media will question his wisdom publicly.

Peavy may not bring back a massive return. That's okay though, the Sox can just keep him. Unless they get back a haul it's idiotic to remove that kind of production and influence, especially as a right hander, from a young lefty-dominate rotation.

"Don't mind me, I'm just Jake Peavy putting up a 3.37 ERA over 219 innings. You know, being an ace, doing ace things. I named my fastball Muhammad Ali because it's impossible to hit."

This "wise GM" will not be receiving Jake Peavy in a trade. Just because you don't think highly of Jake Peavy does not mean the league does not think highly of Jake Peavy.

You are wrong. Since coming off the DL in 2011, Peavy has produced 8.9 WAR over 407.2 IP at career-low walk rates. His 2013 performance has seen a substantially higher K rate when compared to last year's 3.37 ERA, 4.5 WAR performance despite identical walk totals.

From a certain terrible writer on the boo-yah website:

Dream deal

Jake Peavy and Alex Rios to the Texas Rangers for Justin Grimm, Jorge Alfaro, Lewis Brinson and Joey Gallo.

In Peavy, the Rangers solidify their rotation behind Yu Darvish with a fearless veteran who still can miss bats and keep the ball on the ground. If he remains healthy, he can consistently pitch into the sixth, allowing the Rangers’ relief corps to shut down the last three frames. The White Sox need solid pitching prospects and former Georgia Bulldog Justin Grimm gives them a sturdy right-hander who could be a solid middle-of-the-rotation pitcher. The other prospects are still in Class A or below, so all provide ceiling while being far from a sure thing.

Seriously, I LOL'd at this. Not a chance Texas gives up all of the last 3 players mentioned.