Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
I'd actually love me some Hunter Pence. Sox need a guy to liven up the dugout/clubhouse, and sans his time in SF last year he's been a solid hitter throughout his career.

At $13 mill a year, I'd have no problem with Pence either. He still has one of the ugliest swings I've ever seen in my life, but it's obviously pretty effective given that he hits the ball 5 miles

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
I'd be cool with Pence, though Abreu tops my list and then McCann.

I think Wite proposed ADA or Viciedo for Sandoval?

If Hahn pulled off that sequence of moves, then I'd be real happy going into next year. Hell, 2 would make me happy.

I don't think either one of those two would be enough, but if you include Beckham I think you can make something work. That seems like too much to me, but if the Giants included a C+ prospect, give or take, I think it would be perfect.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
At $13 mill a year, I'd have no problem with Pence either. He still has one of the ugliest swings I've ever seen in my life, but it's obviously pretty effective given that he hits the ball 5 miles

At his best, he's basically good Alex Rios. He's a final piece to a competitive team, not a guy the White Sox bring in for 2014 unless they singed three other big free agents already.

EDIT: yes, "singed." They literally need to set three other free agents on fire in order to make Pence a good idea. lol.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
I'd bet Alexei is as good as gone.

I think there's a good chance they won't move him because they'll keep the asking price high, particularly given the year he's putting together this year. I don't think Hahn and co are going to go into next year with Semien at SS unless an offer good enough to force them to do so comes along. Again, just my guess though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
I don't think either one of those two would be enough, but if you include Beckham I think you can make something work. That seems like too much to me, but if the Giants included a C+ prospect, give or take, I think it would be perfect.

I get the sense that Beckham is never going to be traded as a complimentary piece like that...at least not in the next year or two.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)
I get the sense that Beckham is never going to be traded as a complimentary piece like that...at least not in the next year or two.

Outside of Sale and Avi, Beckham seemingly has the most job security of anyone on the team. If not, Hawk is going to be heartbroken. They were making fun of Hawk on the score yesterday for saying Beckham will be the best player on the team in a few years.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Lawrie for Q is a reasonable deal with high upside at a premium position right now.

No thanks. Lawrie is still young but all he's proven is that he can get injured and not be very good so far. Q on the other hand has already proven to be a number 2-3 starter in this league. I get the idea of trying to trade one of the sp's for a young 3b but Q for Lawrie would be a poor trade on our end.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
No thanks. Lawrie is still young but all he's proven is that he can get injured and not be very good so far. Q on the other hand has already proven to be a number 2-3 starter in this league. I get the idea of trying to trade one of the sp's for a young 3b but Q for Lawrie would be a poor trade on our end.

Would you do Santiago for him?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
At his best, he's basically good Alex Rios. He's a final piece to a competitive team, not a guy the White Sox bring in for 2014 unless they singed three other big free agents already.

EDIT: yes, "singed." They literally need to set three other free agents on fire in order to make Pence a good idea. lol.

For what it's worth Bucket did mention this all hypothetically happens if they miss out on Abreu. Should that happen who's the guy everyone wants to replace PK(That's basically what they'd be doing)??? Morales is the name we always hear on here and if you look at the numbers Morales vs Pence they are almost exactly the same.

Morales- .280/.336//443 18 HRs 72 RBI

Pence - .283/.334/.461 18 HRs 72 RBI

The difference between the 2 though is obviously speed which obviously breaks the tie. Then throw in the fact that Pence is great in the clubhouse(something I think this team needs) I'd rather have Pence over Morales if they can't snag Abreu.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
For what it's worth Bucket did mention this all hypothetically happens if they miss out on Abreu. Should that happen who's the guy everyone wants to replace PK(That's basically what they'd be doing)??? Morales is the name we always hear on here and if you look at the numbers Morales vs Pence they are almost exactly the same.

The difference between the 2 though is obviously speed which obviously breaks the tie. Then throw in the fact that Pence is great in the clubhouse(something I think this team needs) I'd rather have Pence over Morales if they can't snag Abreu.

Assuming cost is the same, then yes, you want the more athletically gifted, less injury prone player.

Morales also has the advantage of hitting from the left side too, which is worth mentioning.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)

Couple things to consider: (1) Seattle has leaked that they are planning on giving Morales a QO, so signing him would lose us a draft pick., and (2) Morales is like one fo the worst baserunners in the history of baseball. He's actually graded out worse than Konerko over the past 5 years somehow.

If Morales turns down QO from Seattle, and we sign him to a multiyear deal at anything close to what it would take to be more attractive than 1yr/$14m, it will be a very horrible move. I can;t see any situation where that would make sense.

Edited by Eminor3rd

To me, it's balls out for Abreu no matter what, go pretty hard on McCann IF Konerko retires, then dig around for guys that are are being underrated. Only sign anyone else if it's a shockingly low price. Then IF you get someone like Ellsbury at that price in addition to Abreu, only then do you look at signing guys like Pence under any condition. No situation exists where you sign Kendry Morales given the conditions.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Can everyone agree Abreu>Pence>Morales. I even like Hart more than Morales.

If Pence in RF is an option for '14 I would hope Garcia is in LF. The guy gets terrible reads. We need a defense first CF and we don't have one on the current roster.

Agreed on Abreu>Pence>Morales, Hart is intriguing as well since he probably won't cost as much coming off an injury..

Isn't Danks supposed to be a defense first CF?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
We're getting rid of Quintana and Alexei and only Lawrie is coming back to the major league roster? That would be pretty awful.

Baseball Prospectus scout quote:

"He plays at level 10 with an extra shot of espresso at all times, but he is still under control. He has impressive forearm strength that lets him snap the bat head through the zone, but he does a good job of staying back on balls and driving them the other way, whereas he was just looking to yank everything when he first came up. I think he is among the five best defenders at his position in the game, and he is only going to improve. He is very quick and has more than enough arm strength to make the toughest plays to his right. I am comfortable saying that he is going to be a superstar third baseman, and it's more likely to happen sooner than later."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
I think there's a good chance they won't move him because they'll keep the asking price high, particularly given the year he's putting together this year. I don't think Hahn and co are going to go into next year with Semien at SS unless an offer good enough to force them to do so comes along. Again, just my guess though.

You can keep asking high but there was almost zero interest in him this past trade deadline. There will be takers this offseason but for very little back. Alexei is everything wrong with this team in 2014 with his lack of focus in the field and his atrocious approach at the plate. He due to make almost $20M the next two years.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
Baseball Prospectus scout quote:

"He plays at level 10 with an extra shot of espresso at all times, but he is still under control. He has impressive forearm strength that lets him snap the bat head through the zone, but he does a good job of staying back on balls and driving them the other way, whereas he was just looking to yank everything when he first came up. I think he is among the five best defenders at his position in the game, and he is only going to improve. He is very quick and has more than enough arm strength to make the toughest plays to his right. I am comfortable saying that he is going to be a superstar third baseman, and it's more likely to happen sooner than later."

I like his talent, but Lawrie is still a career .270/.328/.435 hitter and he's had 1053 plate appearances at the MLB level. It takes some guys longer to figure it out, but Lawrie hasn't moved. At this point, it's not a stretch to say he's a busted prospect. Meanwhile, Quintana keeps getting better and better and could end up with an fWAR near 4 by the end of the year.

There is absolutely no way in hell I'd give up Quintana. I'd consider Santiago, but, really, I'd like more of a proven product or more in return.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
I like his talent, but Lawrie is still a career .270/.328/.435 hitter and he's had 1053 plate appearances at the MLB level. It takes some guys longer to figure it out, but Lawrie hasn't moved. At this point, it's not a stretch to say he's a busted prospect. Meanwhile, Quintana keeps getting better and better and could end up with an fWAR near 4 by the end of the year.

There is absolutely no way in hell I'd give up Quintana. I'd consider Santiago, but, really, I'd like more of a proven product or more in return.

Lawrie is 23. He was seriously rushed.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
Lawrie is 23. He was seriously rushed.

And he's made no improvement to his game whatsoever. I'm not saying he can't be good at some point but the odds are really against him at the moment and I'm not trading a proven number 2-3 starter for him.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 05:14 PM)
You can keep asking high but there was almost zero interest in him this past trade deadline. There will be takers this offseason but for very little back. Alexei is everything wrong with this team in 2014 with his lack of focus in the field and his atrocious approach at the plate. He due to make almost $20M the next two years.

And in the fangraphs world he was worth $8 million last season and $12 million this season with a month left. And that's at a premium position where people are paying $20 million for a lot worse.