Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
Oh he was in rookie ball as a 25 year old, that says a lot about him.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/artic...zing-life-story

I'm not sure why he was in rookie ball after hitting .322/.386/.601 22 HRs and 71 rbi in 88 games at A ball the previous year. His wiki doesn't even mention a stint in rookie ball in 2012.

Gattis started the 2012 season with the Lynchburg Hillcats of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League. After starting the season with a .385 batting average, nine home runs, and 29 runs batted in (RBIs) in 21 games, he was promoted to the Mississippi Braves of the Class AA Southern League at the end of April.[7] With Brian McCann starting for the Braves and top prospect Christian Bethancourt regarded as an excellent catcher, Gattis was shifted to left field.[8] After the regular season, he played in the Venezuelan Winter League, where he batted .303 with 16 home runs and a .595 slugging percentage in 53 games, leading the league in home runs and slugging percentage.[9] He earned the nickname "El Oso Blanco", Spanish for "the White Bear".[6]

He hasn't taken the conventional path to the majors but he's made it and he's showing why they call him "the White Bear"....He's still only 26 years old. I'd take him along with a few other good pieces for Peavy.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gattis would be an amazing get. He was an elite MLB draft prospect before his issues hit him (he says these have been over-sensationalized) and he's been great since he returned to professional baseball.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
Balta made the comment that said he was in rookie ball last year. I would like to see some sustained success from him. I am not a fan of a flash in the pan types with mental health issues. Maybe I'm harsh, but I would rather focus on a MLB ready prospect as the center piece for Jake.

If you read your own article though, he got himself a late start for drug-related issues, was only drafted in 2010, but has hit at every level and rapidly worked his way up.

A valid question might be whether he's emotionally up for being traded, I will grant you that.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
Well we know something will happen in the next 3 or 4 days. No way Peavy makes his next start.

You never know. I just heard from a little birdy that Peavy has been called into the front office.

Early indications is that Hanh wanted to thank him for having testicular fortitude.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
Balta made the comment that said he was in rookie ball last year. I would like to see some sustained success from him. I am not a fan of a flash in the pan types with mental health issues. Maybe I'm harsh, but I would rather focus on a MLB ready prospect as the center piece.

Uhhh what's more MLB ready than a player who's already in the MLB?

His last 2 years in the minors were incredible.

2011.322/.382/.601

2012.305/.389/.607

And now in 2013 all he's done is put up an .878 OPS, hit 15 HRs and drove in 39 in 191 ABs. Those numbers would be good for 2nd in HRs and 4th in RBIs on our team and the guys ahead of him have 200 more ABs than him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
Uhhh what's more MLB ready than a player who's already in the MLB?

His last 2 years in the minors were incredible.

2011.322/.382/.601

2012.305/.389/.607

And now in 2013 all he's done is put up an .878 OPS, hit 15 HRs and drove in 39 in 191 ABs. Those numbers would be good for 2nd in HRs and 4th in RBIs on our team and the guys ahead of him have 200 more ABs than him.

This is it. Those who want a quick rebuild should be in favor of getting guys who are already seeing success in the Majors and have never struggled at any level. Gattis has been on record saying the media has overhyped his "depression issues" and that his hiatus was much more related to him second guessing whether opr not he wanted to commit to baseball -- which is not THAT unreasonable for any minor leaguer.

The Cardinals appear unlikely to make a significant trade, according to Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. General manager John Mozeliak won't part with top prospects Michael Wacha, Carlos Martinez, Oscar Taveras or Kolten Wong unless a "major" upgrade at shortstop or a high-end starting pitcher becomes available.

per mlbtraderumors

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 09:03 PM)
The Cardinals appear unlikely to make a significant trade, according to Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. General manager John Mozeliak won't part with top prospects Michael Wacha, Carlos Martinez, Oscar Taveras or Kolten Wong unless a "major" upgrade at shortstop or a high-end starting pitcher becomes available.

per mlbtraderumors

Well we have those so this report isn't saying too much.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
The guy is a 26 year old ML quality hitter. What does this team need more than that?

I'd offer the opinion that its a bit early to consider him an ML quality hitter. He's also not that great of a catcher.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
Some people in this thread are way too excited about Evan Gattis.

Excitement aside, he would immediately jump to the pool of quality young bats in our organization. Even if 'young' is stretching it.........to say we have many better hitters in the org (than him)would also be stretching it(tons). He would absolutely be of worth to us.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
I'd offer the opinion that its a bit early to consider him an ML quality hitter. He's also not that great of a catcher.

And yet he's so much MORE of a sure thing than literally every hitting prospect that hasn't seen the Majors yet. And if we acquired him, he would be part of a C/1B/DH rotation with Phegley and Dunn.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
I am with you on that.

So what do you want, a guy with less talent and less track record? He's a major big league talent who just so has happened to succeed at the big league level. There's uncertainty with everyone, but he's a pretty damn good bet. It's all moot anyway, as I don't think they'd part with him for anyone except a Sale level arm.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
I think it's just GM talk.

As I Cardinal fan, I have had years to learn "Mo" speak. He always says "he doesn't expect to" do this or that. There are times when he doesn't do anything and times when he does. Up until the day before he traded Rasmus to the Blue Jays, he said, with a straight face that he wasn't trading Colby Rasmus. Everybody knows what happened next.

Mozeliak wouldn't expect to make a trade until he actually makes a trade. Mozeliak always answers a reporter's questions directly.....................carefully crafting each word.

Edited by mike65

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
So what do you want, a guy with less talent and less track record? He's a major big league talent who just so has happened to succeed at the big league level. There's uncertainty with everyone, but he's a pretty damn good bet. It's all moot anyway, as I don't think they'd part with him for anyone except a Sale level arm.

It all matters on what they wanna do with McCann, I can see them wanting to hold onto him. He's a local guy who's loved out there. If they do decide to keep him then they have no room for Gattis. It's possible, but doubtful.....He's who I'd want though.