Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:10 PM)
I value a SS's defense too much to put Semien there. At best he is acceptable. I'd prefer us to bring in a younger version of Alexei and give Semien the 2B job after the Beckham situation sorts itself out.

How much have you seen him play? I would guess not near enough to know what kind of defender he can be.

So from what I gather we now see no need for De Aza, Gillaspie and Dunn. 3 things they all have in common is being LH. Dunn most likely is staying but now De Aza has more hope of staying just for his lefthandedness . A LH or SH (Nieto , but is he really a serious option) catcher should probably be next or De Aza for another LH outfielder .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I like the move a whole lot. I'm of the opinion that a young closer is not the most difficult thing to make.

I am semi-surprised that the reaction seems virtually 100% positive compared to more mixed for the Eaton trade. I wonder if that is because people have higher expectations for Davidson than Eaton or they valued Santiago significantly more than Reed or a combination of both. Do people just like home runs?

Personally I'd expect a more valuable year from Eaton than Davidson next year. I think there's a greater chance that Davidson is a bust. I don't assume he'll be a bust. I'd bet on him hitting enough to at least be league average at 3rd and hopefully more. But subpar defense combined with the high strikeouts leading to low batting average give me some concern. Hope he hits a ton.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 06:56 PM)
If his bat plays well enough he could be a 1b, he will get several years to improve at 3b and we won't be terrifically mad if we have to move him. He's here to hit, put Alexei Ramirez next to him for a couple years and let Alexwi cover the ground while he's learning.

Semien and Davidson might be a pretty poor defensive left side though if it winds up that way.

Why keep Alexei around when we're not attempting to compete next year? He should have a decent amount of value given what Peralta got in free agency and might be able to land us prospects that can be moved in a package for a catcher. It's clear that we're punting the 2014 season, no reason to hold on to guys that will be pretty much valueless to us by 2016.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:35 AM)
Why keep Alexei around when we're not attempting to compete next year? He should have a decent amount of value given what Peralta got in free agency and might be able to land us prospects that can be moved in a package for a catcher. It's clear that we're punting the 2014 season, no reason to hold on to guys that will be pretty much valueless to us by 2016.

He's under control through 2016. There's no need to trade Alexei for the sake of trading him.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
He also really liked the Adam Eaton trade. Despite what this board thinks, Keith Law does not have a vendetta against the White Sox.

He just didn't like the White Sox philosophy under Kenny Williams of trading for need, rather than getting full market value.

Hahn's philosophy is closer to his and the sabre types.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
I had no issue with trading Addy but I wanted the right return. This may be just a little less than I was hoping for but it also is at a position where this franchise could seriously benefit from an upgrade. He's also exceptionally young and, assuming he makes the roster this year (which I'm not sure about right now) he's under team control through 2020.

Compared to Nestor Molina, it's a great haul.

That's if he can stick at 3B. As a 1B, he has something ranging from average to quasi-negligible value.

As with Fields, Dayan and Teahen, they're going to try another offense-first player at the hot corner and see if he can hold his own.

So who's next to go? DeAza? Gillaspie? Keppinger?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)
Compared to Nestor Molina, it's a great haul.

That's if he can stick at 3B. As a 1B, he has something ranging from average to quasi-negligible value.

As with Fields, Dayan and Teahen, they're going to try another offense-first player at the hot corner and see if he can hold his own.

So who's next to go? DeAza? Gillaspie? Keppinger?

We can only hope. But so far, it's not like Hahn has peddled junk. He's traded a closer and a starter. If he can turn De Aza or, lord knows how, Keppinger, into real baseball players, he's the best GM in baseball.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:37 PM)
How much have you seen him play? I would guess not near enough to know what kind of defender he can be.

Pardon me for using all the scouts' opinions who have seen him play.

Nice rebuttal. :lol:

I haven't seen any scouting reports that say he's a bad defender. I also don't put much value in scouting reports from "scouts" that haven't seen much of him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
He just didn't like the White Sox philosophy under Kenny Williams of trading for need, rather than getting full market value.

Hahn's philosophy is closer to his and the sabre types.

There's nothing to indicate that Hahn hasn't traded for need either. He may have been able to get more for Santiago, it seemed to be the consensus, but he wanted Eaton. Same with Peavy really.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
It isn't that. The question is does he need more seasoning in the minors or should he start in the bigs? Same question for Semien basically

There's nothing in his record suggesting he needs more time except ws a little young. Multiple full minor league seasons including success at AA and AAA and a cup of coffee in September. I'm usually the guy saying "give the guy more time in the minors" but this guy needs a shot in the bigs.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
It's pretty much consensus that Semien is average, or perhaps a tick below or above. Most scouting reports say something along the lines that he's a good defender at 2B and his defensive value takes a hit at SS.

The one thing people aren't calling him is "elite" and if he isn't an elite SS then him and Davidson pencils in as a weak left side. It could get better with experience but that's how it would be on paper.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)
The one thing people aren't calling him is "elite" and if he isn't an elite SS then him and Davidson pencils in as a weak left side. It could get better with experience but that's how it would be on paper.

How many times have we seen defensive scouting reports be completely wrong? Alexei's scouting reports were totally off base. For the vast majority of players, you really need to see them play consistently to judge their defense. I'll trust the Sox' judgement.