2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
Oh I enjoyed it too. But you have a woman and a man acting in stereotypical ways - the man is a big dumb moron that can't see what's right in front of him, and the woman is the overbearing/nagging one.

To me that's funny because by and large that stuff is true for each gender. But it IS a kids movie and it IS perpetuating stereotypes. Seems right up some feminist/liberal alley.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=341

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
They are just making up for the century that comic book movies werent made.

Agreed. Kids today are lucky they get to see their superheroes like this. I'm in my 30's now so obviously they make me cringe and I like stories about human struggle now, but I can see why these are popular with the kids. I know I would have loved them if this was 1992.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
I love comic book movies. They're fun, and sometimes they involve childhood loves.

But 20 of them? I just don't get the draw. At some point they just become the same. And while 1-2 might be good, the rest are average to bad.

I can't think of a movie franchise, character, story, whatever that I'm interested enough to go see 7-8 times at $40 bucks a pop. I loved me some lord of the rings and the hobbit, but more than 2 is too much. Bond? At least I get a 2-3 year break.

I'm ok with reboots after a decade. That's fair. But endless sequels and trilogies? Ugh. Give me something new. I feel like as a kid there were always 1-2 movies out at a time that I wanted to go see. Now I can go weeks without anything at the theaters. That's crazy. And it's because Hollywood is focusing on these huge, big budget movies.

I'm not going to go through the effort of looking at the major studio releases every years for the past couple of decades, but I think there's some false nostalgia there, jenks. Maybe it wasn't a bunch of "comic book" movies every year, instead it was just Generic Terrible Action Movie. Summer blockbusters followed by the fall/winter Oscar season have been around as long as I can remember.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
I'm not going to go through the effort of looking at the major studio releases every years for the past couple of decades, but I think there's some false nostalgia there, jenks. Maybe it wasn't a bunch of "comic book" movies every year, instead it was just Generic Terrible Action Movie. Summer blockbusters followed by the fall/winter Oscar season have been around as long as I can remember.

I mean sure, we had Rambo 1-4, Bond movies, Beverly Hills Cop 1-3, Lethal Weapon 1-5(?), etc. etc. But those were the exception not the norm. Now it's the norm.

Over the 25 years that followed Star Wars, franchises went from being a part of the business to a big part of the business. Big, but not defining: Even as late as 1999, for instance, only four of the year’s 35 top grossers were sequels.1

That’s not where we are anymore. In 2014, franchises are not a big part of the movie business. They are not the biggest part of the movie business. They are the movie business. Period. Twelve of the year’s 14 highest grossers are, or will spawn, sequels.2 (The sole exceptions — assuming they remain exceptions, which is iffy — are Big Hero 6 and Maleficent.)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=3095398:date=Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:58 PM:name=Jenksismyb****)-->
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
<!--quotec-->I mean sure, we had Rambo 1-4, Bond movies, Beverly Hills Cop 1-3, Lethal Weapon 1-5(?), etc. etc. But those were the exception not the norm. Now it's the norm.

was going to post this

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
What i'm saying is I would prefer 10 different Generic Terrible Action Movies over 10 movies bases on the Avenger characters, or Iron Man 6 or Fast and Furious 22. At some point, move on, let's find a new character, a new book to adapt, whatever.

Yea, you can go ahead and take your Nic Cage, and I will take Marvel every time

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
What i'm saying is I would prefer 10 different Generic Terrible Action Movies over 10 movies bases on the Avenger characters, or Iron Man 6 or Fast and Furious 22. At some point, move on, let's find a new character, a new book to adapt, whatever.

Just speaking for myself, I'm more likely to watch Random Comic Book Movie on netflix than some generic action flick and I'm not a big comic book movie guy.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
Just speaking for myself, I'm more likely to watch Random Comic Book Movie on netflix than some generic action flick and I'm not a big comic book movie guy.

I mean you're clearly not the only one. These things make a s*** ton of money.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
But 20 of them? I just don't get the draw. At some point they just become the same. And while 1-2 might be good, the rest are average to bad.

I can't think of a movie franchise, character, story, whatever that I'm interested enough to go see 7-8 times at $40 bucks a pop. I loved me some lord of the rings and the hobbit, but more than 2 is too much. Bond? At least I get a 2-3 year break.

I'm ok with reboots after a decade. That's fair. But endless sequels and trilogies? Ugh. Give me something new. I feel like as a kid there were always 1-2 movies out at a time that I wanted to go see. Now I can go weeks without anything at the theaters. That's crazy. And it's because Hollywood is focusing on these huge, big budget movies.

Is that really how much it costs you guys to go to a movie in Chicago? It costs me less than $10.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Is that really how much it costs you guys to go to a movie in Chicago? It costs me less than $10.

That's for my wife and I, but yeah, it's usually $35-40. $12-14 a ticket plus another $15-18 for drinks and popcorn.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
If I didn't like Comic book movies I wouldn't go see them. There are hundreds of movies that come out every year. 3 to 5 are based on comics.

I don't like Pixar movies, so I don't go see them. No big deal.

Agreed. It's not that easy for some people, I guess.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
If I didn't like Comic book movies I wouldn't go see them. There are hundreds of movies that come out every year. 3 to 5 are based on comics.

I don't like Pixar movies, so I don't go see them. No big deal.

I get one complaint - there's definitely a resource issue here, if you're a fan of big-budget, action blockbusters that aren't comic book movies or are standalone, that does seem to have been crowded out a bit by studios unwilling to take risks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
I get one complaint - there's definitely a resource issue here, if you're a fan of big-budget, action blockbusters that aren't comic book movies or are standalone, that does seem to have been crowded out a bit by studios unwilling to take risks.

I think it's just the cycle. In the late 80s and 90s you couldn't escape Seagal/Arnie/Sly/Van Damme. Those guys dominated the theaters and THEY were the ones crowding out the other movies.

The other movies are there, the Mission Impossibles, Fast and Furious, expendables, etc. people just aren't that into them anymore.

I caught The Escape Plan the other night and couldn't get through it. You can keep that crap

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)

That's why I haven't been to the movies in God knows how long. If I am going to drop that kind of coin, it isn't going to be on a movie I might not like. For that kind of money, I want a pretty good indication I will like it. I Redbox movies more often than I have ever waiting for movies because I wasn't sure about paying full prices to see them.

Franchises and sequels have always dominated the summer blockbuster market. At least over the last 30 years.

5 of the top 10 highest grossing movies in the 80's were either sequels or movies part of a franchise.

Return of the Jedi

Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Last Crusade

Temple of Doom