2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
I've got perhaps a dumb question about Cutlers contract.

After the Bears pay Jay his 54M guaranteed he can be cut with no cap ramifications. So if they plan on keeping him for 5 years couldn't they theoretically make his cap hit 10.8M every year(if need be) then cut him before the number gets ridiculous?

The problem there is that his salary isn't just $10.8 a year, he'll get paid >$54 million in the first 3 years. If they plan on keeping him for 5 years, he's going to make $100 million. They can move some of that cap hit into future years, but if he's going to make $100 million, eventually the Bears will have to take $100 million in cap hits, give or take.

They could pay him for probably 3 years and find a way to spread that cap hit out to $10.8 over 5, but then they wouldn't have a quarterback for the last 2.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
@jasonjwilde

#Bears' Trestman sounds committed to improving defense. Says this will be a "defensive-oriented" draft for Chicago.

God, I would hope so. That should be as obvious as saying it will be 'football-oriented.'

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
Clowney ran a 4.4...

His speed was never the question. The guy has no motor.

The official 40 time probably wont be a 4.4 since he ran a 4.47 and 4.48. Official times have been slower.

Edited by RockRaines

The guy was constantly double and triple teamed and there's no need for him to go above and beyond because he saw what happened to his teammate Marcus Lattimore when he tried to do too much and got undercut - he went from a 1st/2nd round pick to a 4th round pick. Clowney is still going to be a top 5 pick.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
His speed was never the question. The guy has no motor.

The official 40 time probably wont be a 4.4 since he ran a 4.47 and 4.48. Official times have been slower.

No but this just shows how much of a freak he is.

I'm really not worried about his motor at all, the guy is going to be a monster in the NFL.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
The guy was constantly double and triple teamed and there's no need for him to go above and beyond because he saw what happened to his teammate Marcus Lattimore when he tried to do too much and got undercut - he went from a 1st/2nd round pick to a 4th round pick. Clowney is still going to be a top 5 pick.

So he's the first good college player to be double teamed? Watch his film. The guy will be a freak a certain percentage of time but still has no motor. I think he's a waste of a top 5 pick IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
So he's the first good college player to be double teamed? Watch his film. The guy will be a freak a certain percentage of time but still has no motor. I think he's a waste of a top 5 pick IMO.

And if he goes crazy and tries to get around a tackle, a half back undercuts him to take out his legs, and he tears his ACL, costing himself millions of dollars, are you going to say he's smart?

If I were the Rams, I'd try and get Cleveland to move up, and then I'd take him at 4.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
And if he goes crazy and tries to get around a tackle, a half back undercuts him to take out his legs, and he tears his ACL, costing himself millions of dollars, are you going to say he's smart?

If I were the Rams, I'd try and get Cleveland to move up, and then I'd take him at 4.

So he was smart for not trying? I think thats a pretty ridiculous assumption that he was going to tear his knee by trying.

4.53 official time BTW. I still dont get how the electronic time is not official.

Edited by RockRaines

Aaron Donald ran a 4.68 with a 10 yard split that was just .03 slower than Clowneys. Dude backed up what you see in his ridiculous highlight videos....If the Bears don't bring back Melton, and Donald is there, that's my pick.

Kareem Martins 10 yard split was .03 quicker than Clowneys....If he makes it tho the Bears in the 2nd I'd bust a nut with a Donald/Martin draft.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
So he was smart for not trying? I think thats a pretty ridiculous assumption that he was going to tear his knee by trying.

4.53 official time BTW. I still dont get how the electronic time is not official.

I don't think anybody said he's not trying, but doing what he can to not overexert himself when he's getting double teamed when the guys going up against him bigger than him (up to 40-50 pounds more) is not the worst thing in the world. The DT on his line got 10 sacks and the other DE was up there too with like 8-10 (or so I thought I remembered seeing).

A guy with Clowney's talent, no I have no problem with his "lack of motor."

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
Aaron Donald ran a 4.68 with a 10 yard split that was just .03 slower than Clowneys. Dude backed up what you see in his ridiculous highlight videos....If the Bears don't bring back Melton, and Donald is there, that's my pick.

He also dominated a lot of the senior bowl practices and drills from what I heard. I'd be all for that pick.