2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
Oh you are getting burned on it. You have bet on the Bears and it will almost always burn you.

Only thing I know that is wrong more than the Bears is you, so Kyle took the right side of the argument for once ;) Haha.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Im not so much a jinx as a blind optimist.

BUT, i did say that both Trestman and Emery would be fired when most of this thread thought the Bears would never send 15 million dollars in coaching and Front Office salaries packing

I agreed with you. Of course I was the turd, who really never gets all that animated about firing people, who was talking about firing people in Trestman's staff by like week 5 of last year. Pretty much anything I say about the last two years of the Bears is going to be more negative than almost anyone, especially when it comes to our coaches. I think the only coach I'm not as down on as the fan base is Tucker. I wouldn't hire him to be a DC anytime soon but I'd have zero problem hiring him if I were another franchise and the general vibe from our defensive players seems similar when they talk about Tucker.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe 49s49 seconds ago

If John Fox becomes the next Bears coach you can bet that the Glaze @JayGlazer will have it first

Extremely valid point since Fox and Glazer are close friends.

Is "the Glaze" actually a reporter or just Johnny Chase to the entire NFL?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
The Bears really shouldn't have let Fox leave the building without a Bears hat on - they likely low-balled him.

You would think, both parties would have a pretty good idea entering the building what it was going to cost, especially after Garret got that extension.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
You would think, both parties would have a pretty good idea entering the building what it was going to cost, especially after Garret got that extension.

Remember Nick Saban

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Remember Nick Saban

That was Ted Phillips at his finest.

My feeling is Fox coached Sunday, was fired Monday, is in Chicago interviewing on Wednesday. He probably took the offer and went home to decompress and make a decision today. This is not a promotion so no need to jump at it right away. He is also being paid for two more seasons. He could be thinking, do I even want to do this anymore?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)

My feeling is Fox coached Sunday, was fired Monday, is in Chicago interviewing on Wednesday. He probably took the offer and went home to decompress and make a decision today. This is not a promotion so no need to jump at it right away. He is also being paid for two more seasons. He could be thinking, do I even want to do this anymore?

Given that he walked away vs. got fired, is he actually being paid for the next two seasons? I presume not and that instead they agreed to some form of buyout (that would be much smaller than what he would have been paid)?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)

That was Mike McCaskey. His mom removed him shortly afterwards

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
That was Mike McCaskey. His mom removed him shortly afterwards

No, you are thinking of Dave McGinnis.

Angelo was wrapping up hiring Nick Saban and Ted Phillips walked in with a contract half of what Saban thought. He walked away and stayed at LSU for a year before jumping to Miami.

That led to Lovie, so not as bad as Jauron issue.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
No, you are thinking of Dave McGinnis.

Angelo was wrapping up hiring Nick Saban and Ted Phillips walked in with a contract half of what Saban thought. He walked away and stayed at LSU for a year before jumping to Miami.

That led to Lovie, so not as bad as Jauron issue.

Ah you are right. That was all kinds of fun to recall the late 90s and early 2000s. lets not do it again

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
All of the assistants are a crapshoot. Even experienced head coaches can be one too, depending, but in terms of experienced HC's, unless you are looking at Cowher / Dungy / Gruden, Fox is that next class of experienced coaches (along with Shanny). Shanny should be in the breath of the 1st three coaches, however, the stink that happened in Washington still follows him (and he might actually deserve more credit than he ever got for Washington given what a disaster Snyder is).

The reality is, you know what you have and that is a good NFL coach who can hire good assistants on both sides of the ball and help you win football games. He is still going to need talent to win, he can't turn water into wine or part the red sea. He needs talent but if you give him talent, he'll get you their and won't get in the way. At the end of the day, that is a rare commodity and when you have that known, go get it. He instantly establishes a winning culture and overall stability to an organization which has lacked it, really since Lovie got additional roster control after the superbowl (albeit Angelo / Lovie did bring one of the more successful Bear windows and periods...one where we contended every year...didn't make the playoffs as much as we'd like but we contended). Fox is a class above Lovie, mainly because he has demonstrated the ability to hire offensive talent.

Fox also has a long history of being able to work with his GM's, etc, which is a really major plus and the way he handled the last year in Denver despite Elway being a prick, is also pretty admirable, imo.

Quinn has only been a DC for 4 years, and only 2 years at NFL level. To go from College DC to NFL head coach in a matter of 2 years is a pretty big leap, the skepticism for his ability is not uncalled for. You are right that he needs talent to win, and he was given the best deck of card in Seattle. Those boys in Seattle had the talent and had the drive to win. Sherman is about the most competitive guy out there and Earl Thomas is as hardworking anyone guy you will see in the NFL. The Seattle defense was already top of the line before Quinn took over. (Interestingly, Gus Bradley, the DC Quinn replaced went on to Jacksonville and that's been a failed experience so far) If we are looking for Quinn to do his magic with this Bears team, I am afraid it's going to end up in a disaster because one, we don't have nearly the talent nor the competitiveness or pride in the defensive side of the ball as Seattle does, and two, his track record, especially for other parts of the game is very limited. Unless they see more in him, like you mentioned, the "it" factor, it's hard to not be skeptical about the move.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)

Misers of the Midway again = McCaskey's

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
Jax is obviously terrible, but Bradley deserves 5 years there with the roster they gave him.

Put it another way, nothing Bradley has done so far would endorse the hiring of a Seattle assistant based on their success, which I think is attributed to the talent and the competitiveness of the players as much as it's on the assistants themselves.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

Fox is going to be more expensive than Quinn. One reason Phillips and George for that matter, IMO shouldn't be asking football questions and interviewing these guys is because of money. Once they get it in their mind Fox will cost x more than Quinn or whoever, the non-football guys start getting involved in football decisions. Accorsi should interview them alone before Pace was around, and then Pace and Accorsi. If that's their guy, then bring the money guys in.

I have no idea if this really is a factor now. George did say money wouldn't be an issue. I would just not be surprised if it is.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
Fox is going to be more expensive than Quinn. One reason Phillips and George for that matter, IMO shouldn't be asking football questions and interviewing these guys is because of money. Once they get it in their mind Fox will cost x more than Quinn or whoever, the non-football guys start getting involved in football decisions.

I have no idea if this really is a factor now. George did say money wouldn't be an issue. I would just not be surprised if it is.

Yep. Fox was making 5.5M / yr in Denver. He certainly isn't going to take less than that and Garrett just got 6M per year so I would think that deal is the starting point (and Fox has a better track record than JG). Bowles supposedly got 4yr 16M which means 16M guaranteed vs. 30+M guaranteed (so almost double the money). Based upon recent hires, 1st time coaches are between 3.5 - 4 M, however, I was surprised to see Trestman supposedly was making 4.25 (and he made more than Rex Ryan did last year).

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
By all accounts it looks like John Fox will be the new coach.

I have a question for you guys. Assuming the Bears were able to get rid of Cutler, would any one be interested in bringing Peyton Manning into the fold? Did he have a good relationship with John Fox? Or is Peyton pretty much out of gas?

Manning is not going to spend his last year playing for a bad Bears team.