Teams have interest in Viciedo/De Aza

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
If they get Saunders for Viciedo, he had better come with a damned good prospect of some sort.

Yes. I don't understand why we would want a guy older than Viciedo who hits even worse? Yes his defense is solid, but the problem for this team was the lack of offense. At this point we would be selling low on Viciedo. Unless we can get something better- hold onto Tank. Let his value increase. I'm all for making trades in attempt to get better, however trading Dayan at this point for a player like Saunders is not the approach we should take. I believe they sold high on Reed and Santiago this winter. If Dayan has a monster first half this year- then I'd say sell high once again!

Viciedo is only 24 years old. He has still has room to grow.

I don't think I see this trade happening. But I don't know where people are getting the Saunders is bad or Saunders is a worse hitter than Viciedo stuff.

2012 OPS+

Viciedo 98

Saunders 108

2013 OPS+

Viciedo 94

Saunders 106

Saunders has clearly been the better hitter in each of the 2 full seasons both has played. Saunders is clearly the better defender, playing 200 games in CF the last 2 years. He's also clearly the better baserunner.

The thing is, Michael Sanders is more of a 4th outfielder than a starter on a championship team, just like DeAza.

If they traded for him to play everyday CF, that's one thing, but we already have Eaton.

If they wanted to play Eaton and Saunders together, that would be fine if we were in Seattle or San Diego, but we're not. Saunders isn't an impact hitter at USCF.

You don't trade arb years and get older instead of younger in a deal. Doesn't make sense.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm probably more in favor of trading Viciedo than anybody here, and even I don't see Saunders as being a good return.

I like his defense and his ability to take walks is something the Sox are still sorely lacking, but his contact rate is pretty poor for somebody who is not a slugger, and the Sox don't really need anymore lefty outfielders unless DeAza is also going away in a separate deal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 05:58 AM)
I'm probably more in favor of trading Viciedo than anybody here, and even I don't see Saunders as being a good return.

I like his defense and his ability to take walks is something the Sox are still sorely lacking, but his contact rate is pretty poor for somebody who is not a slugger, and the Sox don't really need anymore lefty outfielders unless DeAza is also going away in a separate deal.

I challenge your title of "most in favor of trading Viciedo!" :D

But yeah, no upside with Michael Saunders. If we didn't have Eaton, though, I'd probably do it.

But we have Eaton.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 06:56 AM)
The Boras-White Sox thing is overblown especially with Hahn in charge right? Could that have something to do with it? Might the Sox be afraid of the contract that Viciedo and Boras will ask for? How many years of control is Viciedo now, 2 more?

In my non-informed opinion, it is indeed overblown. You don't get the GM job if you're unwilling to be in play for a large fraction of the most talented players around because of a personal relationship.

Also, Viciedo is not currently a threat for a big contract, lol.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
The Boras-White Sox thing is overblown especially with Hahn in charge right? Could that have something to do with it? Might the Sox be afraid of the contract that Viciedo and Boras will ask for? How many years of control is Viciedo now, 2 more?

According to B-R, Viciedo is a Super-2 player, so he's arb-eligible this year but he still has 3 more years of arb-eligibility remaining. B-R has him not becoming a free agent until after the 2017 season.

For comparison, Michael Saunders is arb-eligible this year but has 1 less year of team control. He becomes a free agent after 2016. So, in any sort of deal set up like this...the White Sox not only wouldn't save any money this year, they'd also lose a year of time in which the player was under team control

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 02:20 AM)
If I trade Viciedo to Seattle, I would want Luiz Gohara back and another low level pitching prospect.

I would want that competitive balance B pick. I would consider moving Viciedo for Saunders, a good young pitching prospect (Gohara), and their competitive balance pick. Viciedo could go there and end up thriving but maybe the Sox don't see him as part of their future. Interesting.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
I would want that competitive balance B pick. I would consider moving Viciedo for Saunders, a good young pitching prospect (Gohara), and their competitive balance pick. Viciedo could go there and end up thriving but maybe the Sox don't see him as part of their future. Interesting.

Has there been anything saying the Sox don't want him? It seems to me everything I have read is the opposite.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
Has there been anything saying the Sox don't want him? It seems to me everything I have read is the opposite.

It's the only obvious reason why the team would even consider this kind of deal. This one you can't help but read between the lines about.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)

We are still talking about Dayan Viciedo right now, right?

I understand the guy has a high ceiling, but he's no where close to reaching it, and Saunders' ceiling is just as high or higher. There is some severe overvaluation going on here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
It's the only obvious reason why the team would even consider this kind of deal. This one you can't help but read between the lines about.

If you can get sufficient value, you will always trade someone. That value is subjective and it may be different for similarly valued players. I would take less for De Aza, but I certainly wouldn't take a low amount. It has to be a legitimate prospect.

If you can get sufficient value, you will always trade someone. That value is subjective and it may be different for similarly valued players. I would take less for De Aza, but I certainly wouldn't take a low amount. It has to be a legitimate prospect.

I wouldn't necessarily take less for DeAza. DeAza has a lot of value in that he can be a platoon starter/lefty pinch hitter/defensive replacement type of guy. Viciedo's skill set is such that he either becomes a legit middle of the order bat or he's out of baseball.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
We are still talking about Dayan Viciedo right now, right?

I understand the guy has a high ceiling, but he's no where close to reaching it, and Saunders' ceiling is just as high or higher. There is some severe overvaluation going on here.

There's a large difference though, at 27 Saunders has less time to figure it out than Viciedo, and Saunders does not improve the roster at all, it is basically giving up Viciedo for a 4th OF to play behind Eaton, De Aza, and Garcia. Giving up Viciedo at the point where he is poised to enter his prime would act counter to the direction of the the franchise. It makes no sense to trade younger better players for older worse players. Take defense out of the equation, as one of these guys will be at the DH spot next season, and its a huge downgrade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)

And where is the confirmation they are considering this type of deal? It really makes zero sense from a White Sox perspective, unless it is going to be some bigger deal. Is Saunders better than De Aza?

If you think it is stupid to have Viciedo and De Aza on the same roster, wouldn't it be even dumber to have De Aza and Saunders on the same roster?

The White Sox have made a pretty big investment in Viciedo. I find it hard to believe they would trade him for another OF they really don't need.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
@ProspectInsider: Hearing Michael Saunders is a name that has been discussed in Dayan Viciedo talks w/ White Sox.”

This guy is followed by all the reputable baseball writers like Nightengale, Morosi, Heyman, Mayo. And he likes Saunders a lot more than Viciedo....I do not agree with him on that at all.

I just havent seen any of the activity suggesting there is a big swap like this in the works.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
And where is the confirmation they are considering this type of deal? It really makes zero sense from a White Sox perspective, unless it is going to be some bigger deal. Is Saunders better than De Aza?

If you think it is stupid to have Viciedo and De Aza on the same roster, wouldn't it be even dumber to have De Aza and Saunders on the same roster?

The White Sox have made a pretty big investment in Viciedo. I find it hard to believe they would trade him for another OF they really don't need.

I'm not sure we can say they're "Considering" it, but there appears to have been fairly respectable, non-bruce-levine names that have liked the White Sox and Mariners and put the 2 names Viciedo and Saunders together. The Sox know Viciedo better than anyone at this point and given his lack of development, I consider it plausible that they might reach a point of personal frustration with him in a way other teams wouldn't. When I start seeing proposals involving him that otherwise make no sense, as you say...that starts making me think that a personal issue could very well be the problem.

This is one I could easily be mistaken on, because the only way to really gauge how a team feels about a guy personally is to read between the lines; looking at performance, playing time, trade rumors, competition on the roster, etc. If nothing happens and he goes out and gets 600 PA's this year, then they're still showing confidence in him. If they make a move like this, or they give him 350 PA's and platoon him with a lefty OF who is older and getting close to FA...those kind of things argue to me that they have a real problem with the guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm not sure we can say they're "Considering" it, but there appears to have been fairly respectable, non-bruce-levine names that have liked the White Sox and Mariners and put the 2 names Viciedo and Saunders together. The Sox know Viciedo better than anyone at this point and given his lack of development, I consider it plausible that they might reach a point of personal frustration with him in a way other teams wouldn't. When I start seeing proposals involving him that otherwise make no sense, as you say...that starts making me think that a personal issue could very well be the problem.

This is one I could easily be mistaken on, because the only way to really gauge how a team feels about a guy personally is to read between the lines; looking at performance, playing time, trade rumors, competition on the roster, etc. If nothing happens and he goes out and gets 600 PA's this year, then they're still showing confidence in him. If they make a move like this, or they give him 350 PA's and platoon him with a lefty OF who is older and getting close to FA...those kind of things argue to me that they have a real problem with the guy.

If they have "a real problem with the guy" he wouldn't be wearing a White Sox uniform right now.

I'm sure they hoped he would be more advanced at this point, but the potential is still there.

I don't think organizations have as many problems with players as fans do. There hasn't been one White Sox since I have been on this board, that didn't get slammed eventually. If teams ran out of patience as quickly as fans, all teams would have ridiculously high payrolls, paying tons of players not to play for them.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
Yes. I don't understand why we would want a guy older than Viciedo who hits even worse? Yes his defense is solid, but the problem for this team was the lack of offense. At this point we would be selling low on Viciedo. Unless we can get something better- hold onto Tank. Let his value increase. I'm all for making trades in attempt to get better, however trading Dayan at this point for a player like Saunders is not the approach we should take. I believe they sold high on Reed and Santiago this winter. If Dayan has a monster first half this year- then I'd say sell high once again!

Viciedo is only 24 years old. He has still has room to grow.

Lack of defense was a big problem last year too. That said, I don't see how Saunders fits.