Rosenthal speculates on deadline deal candidates

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
That's because he is playing very well. If the Ramirez of last year comes back his trade value slides.

Usually guys have high trade value because they play well.

Even if Alexei isn't hitting .350, the guy has a ton of trade value. With the scarcity of respectable SS's around baseball, getting a plus defender, a plus baserunner, and even an average hitter is a big deal.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
Usually guys have high trade value because they play well.

Even if Alexei isn't hitting .350, the guy has a ton of trade value. With the scarcity of respectable SS's around baseball, getting a plus defender, a plus baserunner, and even an average hitter is a big deal.

Unless he continues playing this well, I would think a team would sign Stephen Drew before trading a Texiera-type package for Ramirez.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
Unless he continues playing this well, I would think a team would sign Stephen Drew before trading a Texiera-type package for Ramirez.

Except Drew is still a free agent, hasn't played at all this year, and would need how long to be in game shape? Every day that goes by means he is a another day further away from being a ready to go baseball player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
Except Drew is still a free agent, hasn't played at all this year, and would need how long to be in game shape? Every day that goes by means he is a another day further away from being a ready to go baseball player.

For a hitter? A week in the minors probably suffices.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)

And the closer they get to draft day in June, the more difficult it gets for teams not to just be patient and wait until the beginning of June simply to remove the draft pick compensation attached...which means he wouldn't be ready to play until around June 15th-20th at the earliest.

OTOH, an acquiring team might assume he would fall off into mediocrity again being away from the influence of the other Cubans....Abreu, Viciedo and Nieto.

If I were Rick Hahn I would definitely be shopping around Alexi to contending teams that are in need of a bat, Seimen has showed how expendable he is this year with the way that he has played. And I would be shopping around Danks to contending teams as we get closer to the deadline, but I would only trade him if I got a good package of prospects back.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 01:38 AM)
If I were Rick Hahn I would definitely be shopping around Alexi to contending teams that are in need of a bat, Seimen has showed how expendable he is this year with the way that he has played. And I would be shopping around Danks to contending teams as we get closer to the deadline, but I would only trade him if I got a good package of prospects back.

The problem is that they can't see Semien playing SS at the major league level without trading Ramirez.

There are a TON of doubts about Marcus' ability to handle the position defensively on an everyday basis. 2B, fine, no problems, 3B, same thing. He's athletic and has a strong enough arm, although not comparable with Alexei's arm strength.

I am starting to think because of Ramirez' body type, he can play into his mid 30's without a significant dropoff...and that keeping him together with Abreu and Viciedo is the right play, unless the return is amazing in terms of prospects (like a bonafide potential ace starter, Top 35-75 guy).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
The problem is that they can't see Semien playing SS at the major league level without trading Ramirez.

There are a TON of doubts about Marcus' ability to handle the position defensively on an everyday basis. 2B, fine, no problems, 3B, same thing. He's athletic and has a strong enough arm, although not comparable with Alexei's arm strength.

I am starting to think because of Ramirez' body type, he can play into his mid 30's without a significant dropoff...and that keeping him together with Abreu and Viciedo is the right play, unless the return is amazing in terms of prospects (like a bonafide potential ace starter, Top 35-75 guy).

the main problem I have about deal Alexi is you may be dealing the main anchor of the Cuban glue. I was all for trading

Viciedo before his resurgence, now I am liking what I am seeing from him. even enuf to think about dealimg with boras

for an extension ..... maybe not

a lot of this season excitement has to do wit Jose and what he bring to the club. I can't wait for the weather to start to warm up.

Wanne ....... great and funny post.

Edited by LDF

Count me in the group of people that were all on board with trading Alexei and Dayan and are reluctant now.

Alexei I need to be blown away, Viciedo I'm holding onto due to his youth.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the three Cubans are all mashing. I think DV and Alexei have to be of some help to Abreu adapting, while he might be having some type of positive effect on them and teaching them things that a hitting coach couldn't.

Makes me want to get Yasmani Grandal all the more if the FO thinks he'd be an upgrade on Flowers.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 06:17 AM)
Count me in the group of people that were all on board with trading Alexei and Dayan and are reluctant now.

Alexei I need to be blown away, Viciedo I'm holding onto due to his youth.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the three Cubans are all mashing. I think DV and Alexei have to be of some help to Abreu adapting, while he might be having some type of positive effect on them and teaching them things that a hitting coach couldn't.

Makes me want to get Yasmani Grandal all the more if the FO thinks he'd be an upgrade on Flowers.

You can tell from watching Abreu get interviewed that he's very down to earth, yet very confident. Keeps mentioning "thanks to God" for his hitting gift, and the very simple philosophy of "staying inside the ball and good things will happen if you make solid contact." Seems like it has rubbed off on both Viciedo (look at the majority of his hits being to RF now) and Ramirez, it can't be a coincidence. (Now why DeAza isn't listening is another story, haha).

There has to be a lot of reluctance to turn over the entire middle infield, especially the SS position, which is of utmost importance.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 08:39 PM)
Exactly. He's in his prime and has another good 4 or 5 productive years in him.

Obviously you would have to see the trade package. Ask yourself this: Does the trade give you a better chance to win a World Series? If the players you get in return could be part of your next championship team, you make the trade. If not then you probably keep him. It just depends. But I'd listen on any number of the Sox veterans to improve the young core. Look at the Pirates for example: You ask them for SS Alen Hanson and one of their top line starting pitching prospects like Kingham or Glasnow. I would end up taking 1 of those guys as a headliner for Ramirez and then some lower level type guys as well with Pittsburgh paying the salary. If I'm paying the salary, they are giving more. That's just one example of a team that could potentially be interested.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
Obviously you would have to see the trade package. Ask yourself this: Does the trade give you a better chance to win a World Series? If the players you get in return could be part of your next championship team, you make the trade. If not then you probably keep him. It just depends. But I'd listen on any number of the Sox veterans to improve the young core. Look at the Pirates for example: You ask them for SS Alen Hanson and one of their top line starting pitching prospects like Kingham or Glasnow. I would end up taking 1 of those guys as a headliner for Ramirez and then some lower level type guys as well with Pittsburgh paying the salary. If I'm paying the salary, they are giving more. That's just one example of a team that could potentially be interested.

One key for me is going to be whether or not the White Sox can get a LH bat back. Either a really high level starting pitching prospect or someone who can fill in the LH bat need.

Looking at how guys are hitting this year, the LH bat need is just going to be magnified with time. It'd take a whole lot for me to really look at a RH hitter with the way things are shaping up.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)

Man.

I've always liked Alexei, really. I think he's still underrated. But guys.

If he stays relatively hot, and has his best offensive season at around 110 wRC+ or so, THEN we could be talking Hanson. There is just no way at all he's ever going to net us Glasnow, and he'd have to be a borderline MVP candidate to net us Kingham. I literally don't think anything he could realistically do from now until July would stop the Pirates from laughing off the phone if Glasnow was brought up. There are guys that like him better than Syndergaard.

You guys can argue what "should" be the return, but the reality is that these prospects do NOT move unless teams are getting big time game changers these days. They are treated like ancient, precious gemstones. And the small market teams are even more stingy with them.

In my opinion, he's still going to be worth more to this team than any other come July. Garcia/Sanchez haven't shown they're ready to take the keys -- I think you hope one of them steps up next year and you can move Alexei.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
One key for me is going to be whether or not the White Sox can get a LH bat back. Either a really high level starting pitching prospect or someone who can fill in the LH bat need.

Looking at how guys are hitting this year, the LH bat need is just going to be magnified with time. It'd take a whole lot for me to really look at a RH hitter with the way things are shaping up.

Did Lillian hack your account?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
I don't know if that's fair. Lillian is obviously overzealous with his love affair of left-handedness (and now right-handedness with the current construction of the rotation) but we are bereft a LH option in the middle of the order. Those who figure to be in the middle of the order are obviously Abreu, Garcia, Viciedo, Davidson, and they are all righties. If the team is going for it next year it is inevitable that they bring in a LH option and I should throw out Victor Martinez for the 100th time as a guy I'd welcome.

Since we are on the topic of handedness, and I don't want to go all Lillian, but I would think we should see a LH bat taken very early in the draft. Our top hitting prospects are all RH hitters with Davidson, Hawkins, Anderson, Thompson, etc.

I think it's crazy to prioritize handedness over talent. If all else is equal, sure, take the lefty. But if you have a chance to get a better RH player, you do it every time no matter what your lineup looks like. In the draft, where guys are typically 3-6 years away from regular ML playing time, even moreso.

Sign your lefty in free agency if you must, where you have much more control over the timing and opportunity.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
I whole heartedly agree with the bolded and have been critical of this foolish notion in several threads especially when pertaining to the rotation. I just believe there is a need to have a LH in your lineup somewhere from 3-6.

To be clear, I wasn't saying that we should draft a LH hitter because our probable staples in the lineup are RH hitters (away from Eaton), rather that the system as a whole is lacking potential LH impact bats. I for one am not expecting much at all from the likes of Keon Barnum.

Yeah, I'm just saying that when dealing with non-ML talent, either in the draft or in trades, you're opportunity is so limited by myriad factors (team x's farm system, quality of amateur draft pool, etc.) that you have no real choice but to just take talent over type. In free agency, you have a larger, more diverse pool of more known quantities from which you can select as many times as as you can afford and have the impact felt immediately. That's where you have the luxury to be very picky.

As far as the value of a balanced L/R lineup, I totally agree. You just can't let that leak into farm talent acquisition, IMO.

Ken names some players who are contributing to the Sox turnaround in 2014. I can see Dunn being dealt as he really doesn't fit in with the Sox rebuilding, but to trade away your starting SS and 2B guys and a starting pitcher, who is showing success after surgery might not be the best moves. I guess that regardless of personal feelings you need to see what the return is and how that benefits the team long term

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)
Ken names some players who are contributing to the Sox turnaround in 2014. I can see Dunn being dealt as he really doesn't fit in with the Sox rebuilding, but to trade away your starting SS and 2B guys and a starting pitcher, who is showing success after surgery might not be the best moves. I guess that regardless of personal feelings you need to see what the return is and how that benefits the team long term

I am going to be honest here, I was for trading Viciedo before the season started. now I would like to hold on to him and see

what is going to happen here.

I haven't seen this kind of excitement in a long time for the sox. the turn around as some are saying or questioning start with the

smart acquisition that Hahn made. so it starts from him and then dribble down to the players. but the main key is Jose.

BTW.... I been wondering how was puig acting when he played on the same team with Jose ?