2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
If Boozer is Amnesthetized, his contract does not count at all against the salary cap for this year. He could not be used in a sign and trade at all. The Bulls would pay him whatever on his contract is not picked up by another team and that would be the end of it. There is no way to do both an amnesty and a sign and trade.

That's not my question. My question is why pick up Boozer in a sign and trade with pretty worthless draft picks and other crappy pieces , allowing the Bulls to give Melo more money and use an exception for a guy like Mirotic, when you can still get Boozer's expiring contract at the amnesty auction if that is some attraction, and you force Melo to accept less money and one of your rivals won't be able to make other moves?

IMO, the only motivation Phil should have accepting Boozer is if you give him something really good to go along with it. Not something mediocre. And I think draft picks at the bottom of round 1 are mediocre.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
That's not my question. My question is why pick up Boozer in a sign and trade with pretty worthless draft picks and other crappy pieces , allowing the Bulls to give Melo more money and use an exception for a guy like Mirotic, when you can still get Boozer's expiring contract at the amnesty auction if that is some attraction, and you force Melo to accept less money and one of your rivals won't be able to make other moves?

IMO, the only motivation Phil should have accepting Boozer is if you give him something really good to go along with it. Not something mediocre. And I think draft picks at the bottom of round 1 are mediocre.

You don't get his expiring in an amnesty auction. You only get whatever amount you bid / paid for him. So lets say Heat bid 3M and get Boozer, then Boozer is a 3M cap hit to him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)

The team picking up Boozer would not be able to get him as a full valued expiring contract, so yes the Bulls would have to give the Knicks something useful to go with that to make it happen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)

Taking Boozer in a deal you get the full value of his cap number when it expires. If you sign him after he is cut you only get the number he signed for with whatever team he chooses big difference.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)

Depends on their perception of Mirotic. If they think he's the guy who would have been a top 10 pick in this years draft then I wouldn't say he's a mediocre piece. I also think they'd have to throw in Butler. From reading NY boards they said Phil wants a hard nosed aggressive defender and Jimmy fits that bill.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Ugh, where is the money coming for and where does Wade play?

Presume after signing Melo you would then do a S&T with Heat with some picks or something and get a TPE back from Heat.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Yes on Anthony.

No need for Wade if you get Anthony.

Maybe we are going to have to give up more then we think to get Anthony which means we have to be creative to get other pieces. My preference is Anthony while keeping bulk of our assets. Don't know if that is doable. Depends on whether Phil will help us or not.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
Stein said Bulls are trying to get Wade and Anthony!

Oh, the guy who said the Bulls had no chance with Carmelo, and never did, and they knew it. These guys are pretty good. When they are right, they let everyone know, when they couldn't be more wrong, they just let it slide off their backs like it never happened.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
Oh, the guy who said the Bulls had no chance with Carmelo, and never did, and they knew it. These guys are pretty good. When they are right, they let everyone know, when they couldn't be more wrong, they just let it slide off their backs like it never happened.

Stein has thrown s*** at the wall all off-season. I don't buy the report at all.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Stein has thrown s*** at the wall all off-season. I don't buy the report at all.

If you listen to it closely, he knows he's just repeating the speculation of execs that are out of the loop

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Taking Boozer in a deal you get the full value of his cap number when it expires. If you sign him after he is cut you only get the number he signed for with whatever team he chooses big difference.

To me the only motivation picking up Boozer at full price is what comes back with him. You have to figure he is at least $10 million overpriced at this point, if not more.