De Aza Traded to Orioles

flavum

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 08:59 PM)
Did Farmer really truly say that? The Sox have the best announcers in the world. How many announcing teams would go there? Not the Royals.

I actually think it was pretty unprofessional if he said that. De Aza was bad but he wasn't a bad person or bad teammate that deserved that from a bad announcer who thinks he was some stud pitcher in his hayday.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 07:18 AM)
I actually think it was pretty unprofessional if he said that. De Aza was bad but he wasn't a bad person or bad teammate that deserved that from a bad announcer who thinks he was some stud pitcher in his hayday.

It means there is more there that we don't know.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 08:46 PM)
I can't believe I just read five pages of this with no posting by or mention of Feeky. I never hated De Aza as much as the rest but the change is a fresh breath of air. He was never meant to be anything and he played pretty damn well for us for a while.

He's in mourning or he just became an Orioles fan and will never be seen here again :P

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 10:46 PM)
I can't believe I just read five pages of this with no posting by or mention of Feeky. I never hated De Aza as much as the rest but the change is a fresh breath of air. He was never meant to be anything and he played pretty damn well for us for a while.

This is how I feel. I was really disappointed with how he started the season. I always felt like he was an underrated hitter.

But it was time to go, would have been non-tendered.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
This is how I feel. I was really disappointed with how he started the season. I always felt like he was an underrated hitter.

But it was time to go, would have been non-tendered.

He was definitely an underrated hitter but the defense and base running miscues were impossible to ignore. If he'd just been decent in those regards, an "average" amount of mental errors, he'd be a very good player.

• 10 months later...

Hitting .263/.317/.450 this year with almost average defence, worth 1.0 WAR so far. Meanwhile, Avisail Garcia is hitting .269/.319/.377 with completely horrendous defence, good for a -0.7 WAR. But please, tell me more about how Alejandro is just a bad baseball player and Avi is the future of the franchise.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
Hitting .263/.317/.450 this year with almost average defence, worth 1.0 WAR so far. Meanwhile, Avisail Garcia is hitting .269/.319/.377 with completely horrendous defence, good for a -0.7 WAR. But please, tell me more about how Alejandro is just a bad baseball player and Avi is the future of the franchise.

lets all forget that he got DFAed

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
lets all forget that he got DFAed

And was going into his 3rd arbitration season this year such that his salary, if offered arbitration, would be more than what he's getting right now. He'd also be a FA at the end of this year.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)

who says Avi is the future of the franchise? that seems extreme. he has a chance to be an above average player given his age and potential but I'm not sure anyone here thinks he is some type of perennial all-star in the making. De Aza is what he is. average starting outfielder, good 4th OF, that turns 32 next season. he's on the back end of his career at this point

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
Fans undervalue players who are not awesome, but not black holes. We could call it the ADA Effect if we wanted.

Maybe, but this was bumped when De Aza was on a hot streak and at the peak of his value. Feeky likes to mention BABIP, yet, he isn't even looking at De Aza's. I'll use a line he used for Avi, he is going to crash, and crash hard.

He loves to bump threads the second he supposedly looks good, like second Flowers dipped below .200, and when Semien had an .850 OPS. He remains silent when the tide turns the other way.

De Aza was underappreciated, but to really think the White Sox would be a better team with him and not Avi is so beyond laughable.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)
Maybe, but this was bumped when De Aza was on a hot streak and at the peak of his value. Feeky likes to mention BABIP, yet, he isn't even looking at De Aza's. I'll use a line he used for Avi, he is going to crash, and crash hard.

He loves to bump threads the second he supposedly looks good, like second Flowers dipped below .200, and when Semien had an .850 OPS. He remains silent when the tide turns the other way.

De Aza was underappreciated, but to really think the White Sox would be a better team with him and not Avi is so beyond laughable.

I generally agreed with you until the last line. Avi's been so bad this year that "The White Sox would be better with De Aza right now" is unarguably true.

Long term would they be better with him? Well, Avi's been so bad that if the White Sox want to really field a competitive roster next year he needs replaced. If they're ok rebuilding, he can have another year or two to see if he can turn into something useful. He might well just be a guy we waste 4 years on without ever getting anything positive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
I generally agreed with you until the last line. Avi's been so bad this year that "The White Sox would be better with De Aza right now" is unarguably true.

Long term would they be better with him? Well, Avi's been so bad that if the White Sox want to really field a competitive roster next year he needs replaced. If they're ok rebuilding, he can have another year or two to see if he can turn into something useful. He might well just be a guy we waste 4 years on without ever getting anything positive.

Its not inarguably true but whatever. De Aza sucked hardcore with the Orioles and found himself some PT with one of the worst teams in the league.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)

What are you even talking about? De Aza's BABIP this year is .331. De Aza's career BABIP is.......... .330.

And Semien has cooled off big time but is still a valuable player, and would be more valuable at 2B. Meanwhile Phegley is mashing, Ravelo is killing it at AA and Bassitt is contributing at MLB, although I'm not sure if he'll keep that up. My prediction about that was about the whole trade, not just Semien.

It's like the least laughable thing ever to think the White Sox would be better off with career 10 WAR player De Aza than career -1.6 WAR Garcia. Albeit De Aza is not as good as he used to be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
Do I need to add my reply or does your text already give it away? I'm out.

The thing you ignore, which is odd since you seem to be very concerned with JR's bank account, is De Aza also makes $4.5 million more than Avi. But let's revisit when Avi is hot and De Aza is cold.

It is the typical De Aza pattern. He performs when he moves on to the new team, and then slowly slides back into his garbage self. The guy already got DFA'd once this year. He did the same thing when he came to the Sox, and when he went to Baltimore.

He'll soon fall apart. Again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
The thing you ignore, which is odd since you seem to be very concerned with JR's bank account, is De Aza also makes $4.5 million more than Avi. But let's revisit when Avi is hot and De Aza is cold.

I'd love to actually see this. Some genuine pop would be a very nice sign for the future. As of this season, he's one of the 5 or so worst outfielders in baseball.