Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
That's simply false.

Nothing to worry about...just don't think the Sox made the best use of assets for the longer vision (1-5 years) of the team.

I dunno man. Our cheap window is the next 3-5 years. I think 5 years of Shark is worth those lottery ticket assets. We have a bonafide RH asset at the top of the rotation now.

Perhaps trading for a different RH starter would have been better, but I think the story is too good here. And I think it's better to try to win a World Series the next few years than wait on Semien Bassit & Ravelo to contribute while wasting JA & CS's primes. The window has always been now, except to the national baseball media.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
I like how he added he was going to get right back to it after he was done with their interview.

i didn't have that much time to post today. but now is my chance.

while i didn't like loosing Semien and the Hound, i do like JS and the prospect.

Jeff alone will help with the fans, the 4 new bodies to date, will get the fans,

the press will jump on the excitement of the fans. it is a win win situation

all the way around.

btw, i was really stoke on how many people were on, reminded me of the

old times.

yeeeeesssss

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
yeah that was a given after getting Royce Clayton and that cancer. someone said, when i came

back for a visit, on Rush. the sox will never get another cancer, they will do their due diligence and

get as much background info.

The Sox will have another clubhouse cancer at some point in time. It's frankly inevitable.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
Yes. Shark is pretty much an icon in Chicago at this point between his ND and Cubs stints. I don't think many baseball players can directly put butts in the seats for us (that mostly comes indirectly from being good) but I do believe he can. There's a lot more talk about this move among the casuals then there would have been if we signed Scherzer or Lester (not that he's better). I still had to explain to a lot of people today who Jose Quintana was though.

Interesting posting. I would be amazed if Shark puts people in the seats. Now I am a White Sox fan who splits time between Boston and Tampa during the season. In casual conversation, I have never heard a Red Sox fan say they were going to a game because Lester was pitching. Pitchers in New England do not sell tickets, the team does. If Abreu did not have a positive impact on attendance, my gut is only winning is going to solve the problem.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
Hope Jeff signs long term this summer.

I'd be surprised if Samardzija wasn't already extended before ST started. I think he's waiting for Scherzer and Lester to sign since their contracts will raise the pay scale for starting pitchers. Just my opinion but I have little doubt about Samardzija signing an extension.

I know if I were Samardzija I would be extatic about being sandwiched between Sale and Q in the starting rotation.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
I dunno man. Our cheap window is the next 3-5 years. I think 5 years of Shark is worth those lottery ticket assets. We have a bonafide RH asset at the top of the rotation now.

Perhaps trading for a different RH starter would have been better, but I think the story is too good here. And I think it's better to try to win a World Series the next few years than wait on Semien Bassit & Ravelo to contribute while wasting JA & CS's primes. The window has always been now, except to the national baseball media.

That's why I'm not really upset. The As really didn't get any lottery tickets, except for Ravelo. No high potential guys in the bunch. They got useful players and ML ready players in Bassit, Semien and perhaps Phegley. I just would have used those useful players for another year and let Hahn make some more sly trades and move Alexei.

As for 5 years of Shark, it's certainly possible - the Sox seem to love him and they know he will cost money. So they should be ready to pay. Which is why I don't think we see much more spending this year. I would like a sly Hahn trade for a LF though.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
Dude, he has fully dipped into the Cubs kool-aid. For being a self-professed Sox fan, he sure doesn't act like one. He knows nothing about our farm system, but fluffs theirs to no end despite no major league results. Watch, the White Sox win another World Series within the next 5 years and the Cubs get close, but never win one with this group of prospects.

He's a clown. If it was the Cubs media session he would ask about the Sox. He is trying to fit the Mariotti niche in the Chicago market these days. His media brethren f***ing hate him.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
Interesting posting. I would be amazed if Shark puts people in the seats. Now I am a White Sox fan who splits time between Boston and Tampa during the season. In casual conversation, I have never heard a Red Sox fan say they were going to a game because Lester was pitching. Pitchers in New England do not sell tickets, the team does. If Abreu did not have a positive impact on attendance, my gut is only winning is going to solve the problem.

In baseball, the team is absolutely worth more than the individual players when it comes to attendance. I'm not going to pretend we'll average 35k for shark's starts or anything, but I do believe we'll see a noticeable bump in walkups when he's on the mound. I believe the same holds true for a lot of Sale starts, promotion notwithstanding. I'd be interested in the exact stats on that though because I don't have them.

Also of note is that this grabbed huge headlines without winning a game. That's something we've struggled mightily with since Ozzie left.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
He's a clown. If it was the Cubs media session he would ask about the Sox. He is trying to fit the Mariotti niche in the Chicago market these days. His media brethren f***ing hate him.

This I have no difficulty believing.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)
That's why I'm not really upset. The As really didn't get any lottery tickets, except for Ravelo. No high potential guys in the bunch. They got useful players and ML ready players in Bassit, Semien and perhaps Phegley. I just would have used those useful players for another year and let Hahn make some more sly trades and move Alexei.

As for 5 years of Shark, it's certainly possible - the Sox seem to love him and they know he will cost money. So they should be ready to pay. Which is why I don't think we see much more spending this year. I would like a sly Hahn trade for a LF though.

5 yrs of shark i understand and with that i agree. but The Hound reminds me a player

who will fly under the radar for a long time. pretty much like Q.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:06 PM)
In baseball, the team is absolutely worth more than the individual players when it comes to attendance. I'm not going to pretend we'll average 35k for shark's starts or anything, but I do believe we'll see a noticeable bump in walkups when he's on the mound. I believe the same holds true for a lot of Sale starts, promotion notwithstanding. I'd be interested in the exact stats on that though because I don't have them.

By name recognition, there's no doubt he was one of the most known players in Chicago the last 5 years. I heard people talking about the move in the office today that I didn't even know followed baseball.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)

oh i disagree. last season was really horrible in the beginning. trying to buy into the Paulie

last good bye swing. then there was rumbling about this Cuban.

when Jose started to hit, and the excitement he alone was generating, he was putting a face

the sox baseball, after Paulie and it was his, face. Jose A. now the sox were lucky to have a

great foundation to build to. Sale, Q Alexei.

growing up in chi, i was excited when i will go to the game. i, with my cuz will look at the pitching

matchup and see who may pitch when i was at the game. the hitters. maybe it is the different

make up of chi fans.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
5 years 120 million sound ok?

I think that sounds pretty reasonable. It's a lot of money, but Samardzija would be getting that kind of money (maybe more) in free agency after 2015. If the Sox extend him now, there are no fears of this being only a rental.