Jason Castro

peppers312

I have no interest at all in Fowler and not much in Castro unless the price was reasonable and went along with the idea of being a platoon partner with Flowers.

Also want to point out that Fowler is set for a raise from his 2014 salary of 7.35M, this is his last arbitration year before becoming a FA after 2015 and Bora's is his agent. Fowler likely goes to FA so he'd be a one year rental at a reportedly "high" cost. No thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:49 PM)
Have heard from multiple people about how much "Rick Hahn loves Jason Castro". Trade candidate. #WhiteSox #Astros

https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo/status/542490017310863360

He's essentially Tyler Flowers with a better glove and probably won't come cheap...

If you look around the league, there really isn't a whole bunch of talented catchers out there. Castro would be an upgrade over Flowers, but I also feel we need to use our resources elsewhere and focus on acquiring another outfielder. It seems as if there are multiple talented outfielders available via trade and still on the free agent market. l'm thinking Hahn will focus on this right now. I also have a hunch that Hahn would like to add one more reliever to the pen before its all said and done.

Stay tuned... Hahn said there was more on the table that is currently in the works.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:09 PM)
Does anyone like Rock or Bucket have any idea what it would take to acquire Castro?

Hahn was pushing for Castro last winter, but the asking price was Quintana. With the season Castro is coming off of, the White Sox may be able to get him for a top 11-20 prospect and perhaps another midlevel prospect. I really don't see Houston being interested in Danks or Viciedo. Any deal for Castro would have to be via the farm system.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 07:14 PM)
Hahn was pushing for Castro last winter, but the asking price was Quintana. With the season Castro is coming off of, the White Sox may be able to get him for a top 11-20 prospect and perhaps another midlevel prospect. I really don't see Houston being interested in Danks or Viciedo. Any deal for Castro would have to be via the farm system.

Not sure I feel comfortable emptying the farm again....

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
I feel like bringing this thread back to the top will help which ever mod in a few days when Hahn adds him.

Any idea what type of package it would take to get Castro?

Yea man I'm trying to figure out which pieces he'll use too. I'm sure he'll somehow get it done with say Hawkins & Zaleski.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
Yea man I'm trying to figure out which pieces he'll use too. I'm sure he'll somehow get it done with say Hawkins & Zaleski.

I could see Hawkins being a center piece, actually.

I'm talking with an Astros writer right now and he's said they are looking at SS, 3B, OF, and SP. Possibly a Hawkins and mid level pitcher package for Castro gets it done?

Not many OF prospects will have much of a chance within the next 3 seasons with the recent signings.

Good point, we're looking at Melky/Stinky/Avi for the next 3 years. Likeliest opening comes from Avi tanking. Maybe Eaton getting hurt.

Edit: it would be nice if we had a hot prospect pushing AAA pitching with nowhere to play

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
I could see Hawkins being a center piece, actually.

I'm talking with an Astros writer right now and he's said they are looking at SS, 3B, OF, and SP. Possibly a Hawkins and mid level pitcher package for Castro gets it done?

Not many OF prospects will have much of a chance within the next 3 seasons with the recent signings.

The Sox brought in 2 lefty relievers. I bet Surkhamp could be a throw in. He was pretty good eventually in the bullpen, and the Astros still can use the help there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 02:02 AM)
.651 OPS with over 150 strikeouts. I hope whatever they give up, it isn't much.

Agreed. I don't see the appeal. 2013 was clearly a fluky season with a .355 BABIP and a HR/FB rate that has been a complete outlier in his career to date. He hardly hit for any power in the minors then popped a +.200 ISO in '13. No surprise to see he couldn't sustain it this year. Both his K% and BB% have been trending in the wrong direction the last two seasons.

I think he is better than Flowers, but it wouldn't be a big enough improvement to warrant giving up the pieces that the Astros will demand.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
.735 OPS in 2012, .835 OPS in 2013. Which one is the real Castro?

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:18 PM)
Agreed. I don't see the appeal. 2013 was clearly a fluky season with a .355 BABIP and a HR/FB rate that has been a complete outlier in his career to date. He hardly hit for any power in the minors then popped a +.200 ISO in '13. No surprise to see he couldn't sustain it this year. Both his K% and BB% have been trending in the wrong direction the last two seasons.

I think he is better than Flowers, but it wouldn't be a big enough improvement to warrant giving up the pieces that the Astros will demand.

Well that answers my question, thanks for the analysis.

One of the better pitch framers in the game. He isn't nearly as bad as he was last year but he isn't nearly as good as the year before that. A ton of potential though and the era of elite catchers is slowly dying. He is better than Flowers for sure, but like Shark, I wouldn't be trading an Anderson, Montas, Danish etc. type spect for him.

Trayce Thompson is about the top level prospect I would trade for Castro. I wouldn't even discuss Hawkins for him. I really don't get the infatuation with Castro. I know he's a catcher and that improves his value but, at the plate, he's been worse the Viciedo, the guy everybody is itching to see in another uniform.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
Trayce Thompson is about the top level prospect I would trade for Castro. I wouldn't even discuss Hawkins for him. I really don't get the infatuation with Castro. I know he's a catcher and that improves his value but, at the plate, he's been worse the Viciedo, the guy everybody is itching to see in another uniform.

i agree with you the most in this thread.