2015-2016 NFL Thread

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this is the best football for ND in decades.

Yet the coach has singlehandedly cost his team several games with poor game management decisions, and he there have been a record number of academic and conduct suspensions under him.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
Cousins, Bortles, and Carr (to me) have exceeded expectations so far

Good call on Carr.

Basically, the big story to me in this boring as hell NFL season was:

- The end of the QB elite: Peyton gone, Brees pretty much done for good. Rodgers with a down year. Brady was Brady

- The second tier was bi-polar: Romo out. Rivers was back to garbage. Eli was not so great. Kaepernick went from future star to replaced by worst QB in league. Meanwhile, Newton, Wilson and Roethlisberger were fantastic. With Newton/Wilson possibly becoming new tier 1 QBs.

But looks like the fresh blood with Bortles/Cousins/Mariota/Carr/Winston may have very bright years ahead.

Cutler I think had a great year but not sure what tier he is. Kind of like the best of tier 3.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
Good call on Carr.

- The end of the QB elite: Peyton gone, Brees pretty much done for good. Rodgers with a down year. Brady was Brady

- The second tier was bi-polar: Romo out. Rivers was back to garbage. Eli was not so great. Kaepernick went from future star to replaced by worst QB in league. Meanwhile, Newton, Wilson and Roethlisberger were fantastic. With Newton/Wilson possibly becoming new tier 1 QBs.

But looks like the fresh blood with Bortles/Cousins/Mariota/Carr/Winston may have very bright years ahead.

Cutler I think had a great year but not sure what tier he is. Kind of like the best of tier 3.

I think Big Ben is top tier and has been for a while

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
Sad to hear Peanut tore his acl and will miss the playoffs. Hopefully, if he decides to retire he signs a one day contract to retire as a Bear.

Agree...only thing about this season that gets me angry is thinking about the money wasted on Ball (vs. having Peanut around). Peanut was awesome (on and off the field) and I'd have been okay (given the state of the franchise) had we just given him the $3M (even if he didn't warrant the spot) as a send off. Guy was awesome and you knew having him on the roster, regardless of on the field performance, would have been a benefit (from leadership to just mentorship / coaching).

The Bears better sign him to a one day contract and I hope we celebrate him at a game next season. Easily my favorite Bear of the past 10 years (yes more than Urlacher and Briggs...who would rank #2 and #3 respectively).

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
I'm willing to take my chances.

And as an ND fan, I keep hoping they ignore you. I've seen enough of Weiss / Willingham / Davies to understand that we have one of the best college football coaches in the country and one of these years, things are going to lineup right and they are going to get that playoff game and national championship. I am convinced of it.

Unless they plan on hiring Chip, I don't see any other realistic option that I have any interest in.

And as an ND fan, I keep hoping they ignore you. I've seen enough of Weiss / Willingham / Davies to understand that we have one of the best college football coaches in the country and one of these years, things are going to lineup right and they are going to get that playoff game and national championship. I am convinced of it.

Unless they plan on hiring Chip, I don't see any other realistic option that I have any interest in.

Not sure if any of these would take the job, but: Jon Gruden, Mark Dantonio, Mark Stoops would be the top 3 on my list.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
Not sure if any of these would take the job, but: Jon Gruden, Mark Dantonio, Mark Stoops would be the top 3 on my list.

So I have desire in only one of those names, Dantonio. He clealry is an oustanding football coach and on the same level as Kelly (possibly higher...although whatever the difference, in my humble opinion, not worthy of a shake-up...plus as I will go onto later, its not a realistic option anyway, imo).

Gruden has been away from the game for a long time and in my personal opinion was largely overrated as a football coach for bringing the Raiders back from the dead. The Bucs disintegrated almost immediately upon his arrival their (yes he won a superbowl but that team was already uber talented and well coached previously...Dungy also eventually got his ring). I also have zero idea how he'd fit in college. I'm sure he could get recruits fired up, etc, but as a whole, I'm not ditching Kelly, a proven elite coach in the college game who consistently has ND in a position for the playoffs and beyond to go to Gruden (who is as unproven they get from a college perspective...its the cliche name cause people like him, but dude has been away from the game for a long time and coaching college is much different than the pro's...hour restrictions, etc).

And Stoops...dude is on the hot seat at Kentucky. I realize he's been a really good assistant and Kentucky isn't that great of a program, but holy hell, what a disappointment that would be. Like I said...only guy I'd move Kelly for who I'd be fine with would be the Kelly that is a free agent (i.e., Chip).

MSU's coach isn't leaving for ND right now. He's getting into the playoffs and has tons of job security. If ND were to dump Kelly, after his success, why in the hell would Mike D even be that intrigued to go their and deal with the fan base (which I presume is as delusional as you are and thinks that it is national championship or bust because they are living in the past). Dude is 55-23 @ ND and has been decimated with injuries quite a bit (last year and this year). I'm still convinced if it weren't for those injuries, they are a playoff team, but I might be wrong. And he has been in the top 10 in at least half of his six seasons (with a high finish of #4 after getting crushed by Bama in the NC game).

Since 1994, ND has won double digit games 4 times...and two of those times were under Kelly. Since 1994, they have won at least 8 games, 13 times....6 of those times were under Kelly (i.e., in each of his six seasons they have won at least 8 games...where as during the previous regimes..which includes the final years of Holtz, they won 8 games or more in 7 out of 16 seasons.

Evidently Pace indicated he wants to build around Jay. Part of me wonders if that isn't him propping up his trade value longer term (in case he sees another guy / piece open up). Either way, I see no better options for next year and agree with the general consensus to focus on the defense and oline. Forte evidently had a lot of nice things to say about Jay as well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
Good call on Carr.

Eli threw more TD's and had the highest QBR of any other season in his career.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
Evidently Pace indicated he wants to build around Jay. Part of me wonders if that isn't him propping up his trade value longer term (in case he sees another guy / piece open up). Either way, I see no better options for next year and agree with the general consensus to focus on the defense and oline. Forte evidently had a lot of nice things to say about Jay as well.

If Pace sees a QB he likes in the 2nd-4th round range, I'd be fine with developing a guy a year or two while Cutler still starts.

Edited by farmteam

And Stoops...dude is on the hot seat at Kentucky. I realize he's been a really good assistant and Kentucky isn't that great of a program, but holy hell, what a disappointment that would be. Like I said...only guy I'd move Kelly for who I'd be fine with would be the Kelly that is a free agent (i.e., Chip).

Stoops is not on the hot seat at Kentucky. They love him. He won 5 games with really only one of his recruiting classes playing, and he's getting good classes at a school where it's pretty impossible to do that. At ND he could beat out SEC schools for the recruits he's losing to them at Kentucky.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)
Was there something especially juicy? Just saw he was partying again.

Apparently he was wearing a blonde wig, fake mustache, glasses, and a hoodie and introducing himself as "Billy" to everyone in Vegas. He's trying that hard to party yet not get caught.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/2016/...-club/78288104/

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)
Stoops is not on the hot seat at Kentucky. They love him. He won 5 games with really only one of his recruiting classes playing, and he's getting good classes at a school where it's pretty impossible to do that. At ND he could beat out SEC schools for the recruits he's losing to them at Kentucky.

If you are mad about off the field infractions then you don't want Stoops and his crew anywhere near your team. Morrow alone is dangerous.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 05:59 AM)

Well, that isn't what my google search of Stoops pulled out. He's in the top 10 on coacheshotseats.com rankings as well and even had some comments about how critical this upcoming season will be. If he doesn't take big steps forward, he's on his way out. Either way, what a loser hire that would be for Notre Dame.