Sox/O's postponed again for 4/28.

MHizzle85

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
The Cubs thought it was too difficult to have the first part of the season in Milwaukee even with the knowledge and time to prepare months in advance. Say what you will but I think you guys are underestimating the difficulty in working out the logistics of moving a million dollar daily production to another city.

It's one day vs a couple dozen games away from your own home park. Huge difference.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:35 PM)
Did they think it would be difficult or did they prefer to be able to continue to sell/showcase their own ballpark?

Of course that is part of it but I still think people are poo pooing the idea that there is a whole lot that goes into moving a baseball game on the fly.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:35 PM)
It's one day vs a couple dozen games away from your own home park. Huge difference.

The Orioles and MLB arent looking at this situation as a one day fix so Sox fans can get their game in. They should be anticipating this a little more long term than that seeing its probably not going to get better over night. They need to figure something out so we will see what they come up with.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
Of course that is part of it but I still think people are poo pooing the idea that there is a whole lot that goes into moving a baseball game on the fly.

But under the circumstances, a 40 mile trip is not that far and the particulars should be able to be worked out. Or, a decision to go back to Chicago and play the games should have been made after yesterday's postponments.

They are acting slower than the Mayor of Baltimore.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)

I agree. It's no small thing with only hours' notice.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)

I think that's deservable poo-pooing because we've seen them do it before. In 2004 a Marlins series mid-pennant race was relocated to the Cell due to a hurricane, which is quite short notice. In 2008 Hurricane Ike hit Houston and, after some resistance from the owner, the Astros were talked into/forced to allow the games to be relocated to Miller Park and >20,000 tickets were sold within about 18 hours.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
The Orioles and MLB arent looking at this situation as a one day fix so Sox fans can get their game in. They should be anticipating this a little more long term than that seeing its probably not going to get better over night. They need to figure something out so we will see what they come up with.

This has nothing to do with Sox fans---not the issue.

It's about playing 162, and not having teams giving up off days to travel, playing back-to-back doubleheaders, or playing on Oct. 5.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)

The biggest problem seems to be that no one has any semblance of a plan, even though this has been going on for days. The freaking Commissioner himself was in Baltimore even. Get all of the parties in one room and put some options on the table. Put a plan of attack together to cover at least a few scenarios that are obvious, such as not being able to play at Camden.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
Just thinking about tickets. If you have tickets for Section 201 Row D Seats 15 and 16 and those seats do not exist in the other park, or are substantially different, where do people sit? Do you exchange tickets at the gate? How long would that process take?

It seems like it would take more than a day for logistics. Parking, etc etc.

Exchanging tickets would be a complete disaster. The box office just can't take that kind of volume. Unless no one showed up, I guess, which would be possible.

They'd have to find a way to scan the existing tickets in, IMO. Which would be simple if both parks use the same ticketing vendor (i.e. TicketMaster/Archtics), but virtually impossible if they didn't, unless there would be some way to utilize existing hardware/infrastructure.

Edited by Eminor3rd

Here's Manfred's quote yesterday:

"All I want to say about that is we are looking at every possible alternative in terms of completing the schedule in a timely way and making sure the games are played in a security situation that is safe for the fans," he said Monday night. "We are going to look at every alternative at this point."

I guess doing nothing is what they decided.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
Exchanging tickets would be a complete disaster. The box office just can't take that kind of volume. Unless no one showed up, I guess, which would be possible.

They'd have to find a way to scan the existing tickets in, IMO. Which would be simple if both parks use the same ticketing vendor (i.e. TicketMaster/Archtics), but virtually impossible if they didn't, unless there would be some way to utilize existing hardware/infrastructure.

Just use the tickets previously sold like you would a rainout to a game that won't be made up, and sell GA to the games.

Forfeiture should absolutely be on the table. The Sox are likely to get absolutely screwed if these games have to be made-up on off days.

The Sox are in a tricky situation...it would lead to horrible PR if the Sox complained about this in the press but, as a baseball fan, they have every right to be livid about this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
I think that's deservable poo-pooing because we've seen them do it before. In 2004 a Marlins series mid-pennant race was relocated to the Cell due to a hurricane, which is quite short notice. In 2008 Hurricane Ike hit Houston and, after some resistance from the owner, the Astros were talked into/forced to allow the games to be relocated to Miller Park and >20,000 tickets were sold within about 18 hours.

Thats a good point.

We will see what their discussions were about soon enough I would hope. I cant see them dismissing valid options unless it really isnt feasible in their eyes. But I am willing to listen to their reasoning instead of jumping on the bandwagon of THESE GUYS ARE IDIOTS WHAT ARE THEY DOING when we just dont know all the facts about what is going on.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
Thats a good point.

We will see what their discussions were about soon enough I would hope. I cant see them dismissing valid options unless it really isnt feasible in their eyes. But I am willing to listen to their reasoning instead of jumping on the bandwagon of THESE GUYS ARE IDIOTS WHAT ARE THEY DOING when we just dont know all the facts about what is going on.

That is just it. There are no facts out there. There is no leadership out of MLB right now. Get it together and figure out something. After 3 days, SOMETHING should be being done.

We already know, if they plan on playing in Baltimore tomorrow, they cannot start it at it's scheduled time.

I really don't know how you can stay in Baltimore at this point. What is there that suggests even slightly that the situation will be much safer tomorrow?

And if they don't want to go back to Chicago or take a bus to DC, then cancel the damn game tomorrow now. Maybe JR was on to something when he opposed this commissioner.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
How long is it going to take until someone speaks out for the Sox. I think this is a situation where we can really benefit from having Rick Hahn (JD) as GM but please, someone start the conversation. The O's have handled this terribly regardless of the situation.

I wholly believe that the Sox are likely raising hell behind closed doors. Unfortunately, it's going to take MLB to make a decision public. The Sox would look REAALLLYY insensitive to seemingly put baseball above the concerns of a pretty major riot.

For everybody blaming the Orioles, this is really in the hands of the league office. The league office can choose how much influence they allow the Orioles to have, but ultimately they bear the responsibility, and the Sox should be furious at the league office right now. JR should be on the phone demanding that two games get played tomorrow one way or another.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
You have Cal Ripken stadium a half hour away. You have Nationals Stadium what, an hour away? You have Phili two hours away. You have USCF wide open. Anyone could see this was going to be an issue. It's not insensitive to be upset that the Orioles management hasn't had the foresight to move the series. They were worried about revenues, simple as that.

Has a MLB game been played at a venue with only 7000 seats (assume modern times, like after 1950).

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
Exactly what reasoning are you referring to?

It's imperative in business to understand the value of making a swift decision and the Orioles have failed to do so. The Orioles are a depository here and have a responsibility to act in accordance to the best interests of the White Sox and MLB.

The fact that there are social issues that are in play here and its not because of a hurricane or natural disaster I am giving the benefit of the doubt that they have some reasoning behind what they are concluding. Maybe they have dropped the ball, I am not sure yet until I hear their side.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
The fact that there are social issues that are in play here and its not because of a hurricane or natural disaster I am giving the benefit of the doubt that they have some reasoning behind what they are concluding. Maybe they have dropped the ball, I am not sure yet until I hear their side.

The fact that not only have 0 of 2 games been played, but also they have no plans to play any games tells me that the ball was not only dropped, but kicked into the sewer.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)

During the riots in Detroit in the 60s, the Orioles were in Detroit to play the Tigers. Game 1 got ppd. Games 2 and 3 were played in Baltimore.