2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
A lot of it has to do with learning to catch in professional baseball weighed against the ability to hit. If a kid has a special bat, he is likely going to get moved to another position so that they can advance him more quickly to the majors. If the kid has an average bat the team will take their time and try and let him develop defensively. Another factor is the size of the player, obviously crouching for 1000 innings a year takes a physical toll on a person and not all kids develop the frame to be able to withstand the strain that it puts on your body. Usually they will either move these kids off right away or give them a chance to develop and then move them off to another position once the injuries start coming into play. Which leaves you with what the majority of minor league catchers are, defensive catchers without a lot of offensive upside. Obviously there are exceptions, but the depth in most minor league systems are guys with defensive skills that teams hope will develop some offense to go along with their defense.

Thanks!

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind Jordan Sheffield at 10, fits the sox MO especially if Ray is going to be scooped up before hand. Sox are slowing showing they might be capable of developing major league bats with Semien, Micah, Trayce and Sanchez but the jury is still out and Anderson as great of a prospect he is still has a some road ahead of him before he makes it to Chicago.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 06:48 AM)
I wouldn't mind Jordan Sheffield at 10, fits the sox MO especially if Ray is going to be scooped up before hand. Sox are slowing showing they might be capable of developing major league bats with Semien, Micah, Trayce and Sanchez but the jury is still out and Anderson as great of a prospect he is still has a some road ahead of him before he makes it to Chicago.

an interesting name there. for him to be there, he will need to be lights out unhittable. there is many things that, according to some prospects profiles him as being very similar to Carson Fulmer, down to the same unusual pitching effort .... same height, same school, same pitching speed with JS being maybe a little faster.

another player to keep an eye on next season.

now for that hitting rep the sox have and it is slowly going disappearing.. i still believe a lot of it has to do with the philosophy of what the scouts of the sox are looking at. if they continue on the path of, lets say Hawkins and before, they are gambling and have been loosing. if they do not draft the right person, no matter what or how good of instructors they have, if it is not in the book of stars, that that player will not be a mlb player.

antoher thing is this idea of rushing players thru the system was embraced by the sox, when i have a guess, but that is not important now. i do not like the idea of rushing players thru the org.... esp on key players. i would like it to be slowed down a little and to be looked at on a case by case basses and even then just maybe slow it down.

i still believe that, everything really starts with drafting the right players after identifying them.

edited.....

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 02:34 AM)
an interesting name there. for him to be there, he will need to be lights out unhittable. there is many things that according to some prospects profiles him as being very similar to Carson Fulmer down to the same unusual pitching effort .... same height, same school, same pitching speed with JS being maybe a little faster.

another player to keep an eye on.

now for that hitting rep the sox have and slowly going away.. i still believe a lot of it has to do with the philosophy of what the scouts of the sox are looking at. if they continue on the path of, lets say Hawkins and before, they are gambling and have been loosing. if they do not draft the right person, no matter what or how good of instructors you have, if it is not in the book stars that that player will not be a mlb player, he will not.

this idea of rushing players thru the system was embraced by the sox, when i have a guess, but that is not important now. i do now like the idea of rushing players thru the org.... esp on key players. i would like it to be slowed down a little and to be looked at on a case by case basses.

i still believe that everything really starts with drafting the right players after identifying them.

As others have said if Ray is available he will be the pick but if not, which i don't think he will since he has the highest floor of all the college bats, Jordan Sheffield fits the sox very well. Short(er) stature, amazing stuff, bullpen to rotation transition, unique pitching motion and Vandy. Similar profile to Fulmer and possibly as quick of a path to the majors. Sox have shown they're capable of consistently identify and developing top level arms, Sheffield with all this perceived questions fits them perfectly.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
As others have said if Ray is available he will be the pick but if not, which i don't think he will since he has the highest floor of all the college bats, Jordan Sheffield fits the sox very well. Short(er) stature, amazing stuff, bullpen to rotation transition, unique pitching motion and Vandy. Similar profile to Fulmer and possibly as quick of a path to the majors. Sox have shown they're capable of consistently identify and developing top level arms, Sheffield with all this perceived questions fits them perfectly.

ok, thanks for that.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 05:45 AM)

I watched video and Sheffield's delivery reminds me alot of Fulmer's though not as violent looking. Noticed a few nice looking curve balls too. Interesting prospect.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 11:18 PM)
We started at pick #33. Cubs and Arizona giving up picks gives us 31.

Gotcha. Anyone have a website with this information listed? I'm wondering what the best or most realistic position we could be in. Is it feasible we pick at #10 and #25? I feel like we are still waiting for the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, Rangers, Cardinals, and Giants to lose a pick.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 05:32 AM)
Gotcha. Anyone have a website with this information listed? I'm wondering what the best or most realistic position we could be in. Is it feasible we pick at #10 and #25? I feel like we are still waiting for the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, Rangers, Cardinals, and Giants to lose a pick.

lost draft picks due to signing free agents:

~~~ The Detroit Tigers lose their second round pick, pick TBD, for signing Jordan Zimmerman

~~~ The Chicago Cubs lose their first round pick, pick No. 28, for signing John Lackey

~~~ The Arizona Diamondbacks lose their first round pick, pick No. 13, for signing Zack Greinke

updated fri midnight 12-4

I'm keep tracking in my signature as well. After the QOs were rejected (16 comps), we have the tenth pick, had 3rd pick and 56th pick. Zimmerman signed with Detroit so only our second round spot moved up since the Tigers pick before us. Greinke and Lackey signed with 2 teams giving up first round picks so all three picks move up 2 spots. Remember: Price did not qualify for a qualifying offer. Still 13 guys left who do have a QO attached however.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 11:32 PM)

In order to pick #25, 8 teams would need to lose 1st rounders. Think of it tho way: 1-30 in first round. 31. Upton 32. Kennedy 33. Samardzija. That pick moves up 1 spot for every team that loses a 1st round pick.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
In order to pick #25, 8 teams would need to lose 1st rounders. Think of it tho way: 1-30 in first round. 31. Upton 32. Kennedy 33. Samardzija. That pick moves up 1 spot for every team that loses a 1st round pick.

Yep. Only 6 more teams need to give up their first rounder (or Padres give up one or two comp picks which I think they will sign Desmond so it's possible.)

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
Yep. Only 6 more teams need to give up their first rounder (or Padres give up one or two comp picks which I think they will sign Desmond so it's possible.)

So best case scenario looks something like this: Iwakuma/Dodgers, Chen/NYY, Samardzija/SF, Heyward/LAA, Fowler/Mets, Desmond/SD, Davis/STL. That doesn't account for Murphy, Upton, Gordon, Gallardo, or Kennedy but it would give the White Sox the 24th overall pick in the draft.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 10:11 AM)
What round are the competitive balance picks (still can't figure out whey we don't get one)? After 3rd round?

There are six competitive balance picks at the tail end of the first round and six more at the tail end of the second round. Here's an article explaining it.

And here's another that shows where we are penciled in (10, 33, and 62 minus the draft picks other teams lose because of signing free agents).

The #10 pick is set in concrete. The #33 pick could be in the high 20s.; the #62 pick could end up in the 50s — which would be cool.

Additionally, we could trade for a competitive balance pick - say John Danks and Adam LaRoche to San Diego for James Shield and their competitive balance pick. Only the competitive balance picks can be traded.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)
There are six competitive balance picks at the tail end of the first round and six more at the tail end of the second round. Here's an article explaining it.

And here's another that shows where we are penciled in (10, 33, and 62 minus the draft picks other teams lose because of signing free agents).

The #10 pick is set in concrete. The #33 pick could be in the high 20s.; the #62 pick could end up in the 50s — which would be cool.

Additionally, we could trade for a competitive balance pick - say John Danks and Adam LaRoche to San Diego for James Shield and their competitive balance pick. Only the competitive balance picks can be traded.

So competitive balance pick is after the compensation picks?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 10:41 PM)
So competitive balance pick is after the compensation picks?

To quote Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir."

Just an update:

If you look at the 2013 first round draft page at baseball-reference.com, the first 27 picks are "normal." Picks 28 through 33 are compensation picks for teams that lost free agents:

28 St. Louis for losing Kyle Lohse to the Brewers

29 Tampa Bay for losing Melvin (B.J.) Upton to the Braves

30 Texas for losing Josh Hamilton to the Angels (how did that work out?)

31 Atlanta for losing Michael Bourn to the Indians

32 Yankees for losing Nick Swisher to the Indians

33 Yankees for losing Rafael Soriano to the Nationals

Picks 34 through 39 are competitive balance picks:

34 Royals

35 Marlins

36 D-Backs

37 Orioles

38 Reds

39 Tigers

Then the second round started with pick 40.

This year, 16 free agents refused their qualifying offer, so the worst case scenario is that all 16 get signed by one team with a protected pick. We would get our original first round pick at #10, our compensation for Samardzija at #33, and our second round pick at #61 (30 first round picks - one for each team plus 16 compensation picks plus the 6 competitive balance picks minus 1 unprotected pick from the team that bought up all the free agents. If each free agent is picked by a unique team with an unprotected first round pick, then the White Sox picks will be the #10 pick, the #17 pick (30 first round picks minus the 16 picks for the free agents plus the compensation picks for Ian Kennedy, Justin Upton, and then Samardzija), and finally the #46 pick (adding the 13 additional picks for the free agent compensation and the 6 competitive balance picks).

So the picks are:

the first round pick: #10 for sure

the compensation for losing Samardzija: #17 to #33

the second round pick: #46 to #61

And I didn't have to break out my circular slide rule!

Edited by BigFinn

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 11:24 PM)
To quote Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir."

Just an update:

If you look at the 2013 first round draft page at baseball-reference.com, the first 27 picks are "normal." Picks 28 through 33 are compensation picks for teams that lost free agents:

28 St. Louis for losing Kyle Lohse to the Brewers

29 Tampa Bay for losing Melvin (B.J.) Upton to the Braves

30 Texas for losing Josh Hamilton to the Angels (how did that work out?)

31 Atlanta for losing Michael Bourn to the Indians

32 Yankees for losing Nick Swisher to the Indians

33 Yankees for losing Rafael Soriano to the Nationals

Picks 34 through 39 are competitive balance picks:

34 Royals

35 Marlins

36 D-Backs

37 Orioles

38 Reds

39 Tigers

Then the second round started with pick 40.

This year, 16 free agents refused their qualifying offer, so the worst case scenario is that all 16 get signed by one team with a protected pick. We would get our original first round pick at #10, our compensation for Samardzija at #33, and our second round pick at #61 (30 first round picks - one for each team plus 16 compensation picks plus the 6 competitive balance picks minus 1 unprotected pick from the team that bought up all the free agents. If each free agent is picked by a unique team with an unprotected first round pick, then the White Sox picks will be the #10 pick, the #17 pick (30 first round picks minus the 16 picks for the free agents plus the compensation picks for Ian Kennedy, Justin Upton, and then Samardzija), and finally the #46 pick (adding the 13 additional picks for the free agent compensation and the 6 competitive balance picks).

So the picks are:

the first round pick: #10 for sure

the compensation for losing Samardzija: #17 to #33

the second round pick: #46 to #61

And I didn't have to break out my circular slide rule!

3 teams have forfeited picks so far. White Sox currently pick at #30