Marvel Entertainment Thread

WilliamTell

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 07:41 AM)

Man. I love Spider-Man.

But I have serious Marvel movie fatigue. I mean, this is like the 800th Spider-Man reboot. And yes, now it's Marvel so it likely will be better, but come on. I, a huge fan of the comic series, couldn't even finish Civil War as it was soooo uninspiring. The scene in this new trailer where Spider-Man is just exerting himself SO MUCH oh my God how will he hold the bridge together is just 2017 for the train scene from the fantastic Spider-Man (2002).

I get it. Money will be made. But I just can't care about these movies much anymore. The last one I truly enjoyed was Guardians of the Galaxy because it was actually different.

I'll see it when it's OnDemand and wonder why I wasted more of my time on another similar Spider-Man story.

Edited by Steve9347

I loved Civil War and am not tired of these movies as far as I can tell, but I found some of what Steve said about this trailer to be true to me also. It seemed a bit uninspired and I didn't find it all that exciting, it seemed like the story had been told recently, from what was in the trailer. Maybe something different will hit at some point, it is just a trailer.

That said, I definitely enjoyed that last 2 seconds.

International trailer

I maybe the same way as Steve, except I loved Civil War. I'm sure it will be good but that trailer didn't WOW me or anything.

"Don't mess with me, or I will kill you and everyone you love."

I ripped dialogue in DC so only fair I roll my eyes at that.

I don't know why everyone seems to think Peter Parker needs to be a young teenager. He hasn't actually been a teenager in the comics in decades. The whole time I've been reading comics he's actually been an adult. If they were gonna do the teenager route they really should've done Miles Morales, that's a fresh story.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
I don't know why everyone seems to think Peter Parker needs to be a young teenager. He hasn't actually been a teenager in the comics in decades. The whole time I've been reading comics he's actually been an adult. If they were gonna do the teenager route they really should've done Miles Morales, that's a fresh story.

They just. Keep. Rebooting.

The fact that Peter Parker was some dumb s*** kid in Civil War instead of a man facing one of the most important decisions of his life really made no sense. BUT WE MUST ALWAYS INTRODUCE THESE CHARACTERS AS BRAND NEW.

There's no reason they couldn't have had some dumbass newspaper montage of Spider-Man over the years and had Iron Man meet with some grizzled 30's something Peter Parker with support from a smoking hot Mary Jane.

But NOPE. Lather, rinse, repeat. Start with the origin.

The Peter Parker I know and love is a f***ing hilarious and confident man. Plus you will never do better than Tobey Maguire as young Peter anyway.

AND NOW PETER DEALS WITH BEING A NERD IN HIGH SCHOOL FOR THREE MOVIES BEFORE WE REBOOT HIM AGAIN

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
They just. Keep. Rebooting.

The fact that Peter Parker was some dumb s*** kid in Civil War instead of a man facing one of the most important decisions of his life really made no sense. BUT WE MUST ALWAYS INTRODUCE THESE CHARACTERS AS BRAND NEW.

There's no reason they couldn't have had some dumbass newspaper montage of Spider-Man over the years and had Iron Man meet with some grizzled 30's something Peter Parker with support from a smoking hot Mary Jane.

But NOPE. Lather, rinse, repeat. Start with the origin.

The Peter Parker I know and love is a f***ing hilarious and confident man. Plus you will never do better than Tobey Maguire as young Peter anyway.

AND NOW PETER DEALS WITH BEING A NERD IN HIGH SCHOOL FOR THREE MOVIES BEFORE WE REBOOT HIM AGAIN

One of the key moments in the original Civil War comic was when he took off his mask and said "My name is Peter Parker. I've been Spider-Man since I was fifteen years old." His appearance in the Civil War movie was a cool fan service, but otherwise added nothing to the actual plot.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)
One of the key moments in the original Civil War comic was when he took off his mask and said "My name is Peter Parker. I've been Spider-Man since I was fifteen years old." His appearance in the Civil War movie was a cool fan service, but otherwise added nothing to the actual plot.

His appearance in Civil War was necessary to telling the story properly. They wrestled him away from Sony at a King's Ransom and I was elated.

Then they made a f***ing teenager for no reason at all.

One of the craziest thing Spidey ever did and they ignored it. That was the penultimate moment that made him more like Tony Stark to begin the story.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
His appearance in Civil War was necessary to telling the story properly. They wrestled him away from Sony at a King's Ransom and I was elated.

Then they made a f***ing teenager for no reason at all.

One of the craziest thing Spidey ever did and they ignored it. That was the penultimate moment that made him more like Tony Stark to begin the story.

Also the reason that I was just out on Civil War. I knew going in Spidey was a teen. But as I watched it (and the horrific almost spoof that was the original "battle" between both sides where they ran at each other) I just got more and more annoyed. Such great source material bastardized and simplified. f*** that. I deserve more with these characters and have better things to do with my time.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
Also the reason that I was just out on Civil War. I knew going in Spidey was a teen. But as I watched it (and the horrific almost spoof that was the original "battle" between both sides where they ran at each other) I just got more and more annoyed. Such great source material bastardized and simplified. f*** that. I deserve more with these characters and have better things to do with my time.

Eh, Civil War the comic is pretty terrible unless you read like the whole 120 issue event. Spidey's arc was great though. I still say they should have done it after Infinity War when they had more heroes.

And we'll never get Back in Black now, which is one of the most underrated Spidey arcs.

Spider-man is the absolute best, and Tom Holland looks like the best overall Peter Parker and Spider-man based on what we have seen. That being said, I also get the fatigue factor. Dr. Strange did it for me. Another origin story. Ugh.

I'm hoping for more from Spider-man, and the Avengers movies with all the heroes should be interesting, but I'm about done with these individual heroes. Except Spider-man. And Deadpool

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)

Peter Parker as a young teenager is a fresh story, in the terms of the films. Both Garfield and McGuire played Peter Parker in his senior year of high school, when he's about to graduate.

Plus, I prefer Peter the teen to Peter the adult

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
Fortunately since the MCU moves in real time, we'll only have high school Peter for one movie.

They're gonna try and stretch him into being the next RDJ/face of the MCU for the next decade.

They said that they want these films to be like the Harry Potter films, with each film representing a year in school for Peter.

And no doubt that Marvel/Disney wants Holland and Brie Larson to be the face of the MCU going forward, along with Chris Pratt. I mean they announced the sequel the day after the trailer came out.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
They said that they want these films to be like the Harry Potter films, with each film representing a year in school for Peter.

And no doubt that Marvel/Disney wants Holland and Brie Larson to be the face of the MCU going forward, along with Chris Pratt. I mean they announced the sequel the day after the trailer came out.

Maybe they squeeze his senior year out of it, but after that he's out of high school years.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
Peter Parker as a young teenager is a fresh story, in the terms of the films. Both Garfield and McGuire played Peter Parker in his senior year of high school, when he's about to graduate.

Plus, I prefer Peter the teen to Peter the adult

There is literally no difference between Spider-Man as a sophomore in high school and a senior in terms of storytelling - that's what I mean though, if we're doing that story, then why not Miles Morales? Peter Parker is an adult college graduate who's been fully independent for several years.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 06:52 AM)
The toy stores are already selling

Iron Spider figures.

I thought it was Civil War, bur is it going to be a part of Spider-Man Homecoming?

They've been selling those toys for a while now, simply because the design is cool.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...