6. Incredible Hulk (Most Underrated)

7. Ant Man

8. Thor

9. Age of Ultron

10. Iron Man 2

11. Avengers (Most Overrated)

12. Iron Man 3

13. The Dark World

I've seen Civil War 4 times now and it suffers the same problems that ruined Winter Soldier. That movie would've been great if it stayed true to being a political thriller and fully embraced the moral grey area that the story and characters occupied. By the time the third act happens it becomes another good guys vs. bad guys movies. Civil War, which is very good, could've been the best Marvel movie of all time if it would've stayed true to the philosophical battle going on between Cap and Iron Man, instead of becoming an power orgy at the end with the airport scene. I like that it didn't turn into a cameo fest like the comic felt like at times but I'm pretty upset that it didn't capture the big moment, like the other movie did.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 9, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
I would rank the Marvel films:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy

2. Civil War

3. First Avenger

4. Iron Man

5. Winter Soldier

6. Incredible Hulk (Most Underrated)

7. Ant Man

8. Thor

9. Age of Ultron

10. Iron Man 2

11. Avengers (Most Overrated)

12. Iron Man 3

13. The Dark World

I've seen Civil War 4 times now and it suffers the same problems that ruined Winter Soldier. That movie would've been great if it stayed true to being a political thriller and fully embraced the moral grey area that the story and characters occupied. By the time the third act happens it becomes another good guys vs. bad guys movies. Civil War, which is very good, could've been the best Marvel movie of all time if it would've stayed true to the philosophical battle going on between Cap and Iron Man, instead of becoming an power orgy at the end with the airport scene. I like that it didn't turn into a cameo fest like the comic felt like at times but I'm pretty upset that it didn't capture the big moment, like the other movie did.

Umm, the third act started with it becoming good guys vs bad guys, until Tony Stark saw the video and then it went right back to Iron Man vs Captain America.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 9, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
Umm, the third act started with it becoming good guys vs bad guys, until Tony Stark saw the video and then it went right back to Iron Man vs Captain America.

Yup. Maybe he left early.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 9, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)
By the time the third act happens it becomes another good guys vs. bad guys movies.

I felt the opposite way. Going in, I was 99% sure that towards the end Team Cap and Team Iron Man would get over their differences and come together to beat the Big Bad Guy. Basically, the same cliche that Batman Vs Superman opted for. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't do that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 9, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)

That power orgy completely deflated that angle for me and that fight did nothing (for me) to re-inflate that philosophical conflict between them.

I think that Civil War would've worked better as a phase of films, rather than one movie, with each film showing how the Accords affect the characters. I think that you could've done that and still build to Infinity War quite well.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 9, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
I felt the opposite way. Going in, I was 99% sure that towards the end Team Cap and Team Iron Man would get over their differences and come together to beat the Big Bad Guy. Basically, the same cliche that Batman Vs Superman opted for. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't do that.

I think how BvS handled Batman and Superman teaming up and the Martha que was genius, but there's no DC allowed here.

I would have preferred it if Civil War ended without Cap extending the olive branch to Tony. Him leaving that note for him, kinda ruined the weight of their fight a little bit.

I don't hate any of these but I think I'd rank them like this off the top of my head.

1. Winter Soldier

2. Iron Man

3. Civil War

4. Thor

5. AntMan

6. GOTG

7. Age of Ultron

8. Avengers

9. Iron Man 3

10. Dark World

11. Hulk

12. Captain America

13. Iron Man 2

QUOTE (Brian @ May 9, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
I don't hate any of these but I think I'd rank them like this off the top of my head.

1. Winter Soldier

2. Iron Man

3. Civil War

4. Thor

5. AntMan

6. GOTG

7. Age of Ultron

8. Avengers

9. Iron Man 3

10. Dark World

11. Hulk

12. Captain America

13. Iron Man 2

I think that we can all agree that Dark World is terrible. It looks like no one wants to be there, the performances are unenthusiastic, terrible villain, outside the Infinity Stone nothing important happened, and it did nothing for Thor's character.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 9, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
I think how BvS handled Batman and Superman teaming up and the Martha que was genius, but there's no DC allowed here.

I would have preferred it if Civil War ended without Cap extending the olive branch to Tony. Him leaving that note for him, kinda ruined the weight of their fight a little bit.

I think to keep the universe and storyline going and interesting, the ended Civil War the right way. The Bucky/Cap vs IM fight was better than the airport fight because it was more gritty. A lot of comedy at the airport but there was a lot of anger and rage in the last fight.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 9, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
I think that we can all agree that Dark World is terrible. It looks like no one wants to be there, the performances are unenthusiastic, terrible villain, outside the Infinity Stone nothing important happened, and it did nothing for Thor's character.

I don't even remember much from Dark World or Hulk.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 9, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)

Of course, everything that WB and DC are doing is amazing and perfect and is beyond contestation. Zack Snyder is also an amazing director and it is great he has so much autonomy.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 9, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
Of course, everything that WB and DC are doing is amazing and perfect and is beyond contestation. Zack Snyder is also an amazing director and it is great he has so much autonomy.

I forgot Trolls existed in the MCU

1. Guardians of the Galaxy

2. Winter Soldier

3. The Avengers

4. Civil War

5. Iron Man

6. Ant Man

7. Age of Ultron

8. Iron Man 3

9. Incredible Hulk

10. Thor

11. The First Avenger

12. Iron Man 2

13. The Dark World

I wonder where people get their idea of the definition of how to define comic characters? People (me included) say this version of Spider-Man is the "most faithful to the comics" but only his personality is.

-Peter Parker hasn't been a high school student the entire time I've been reading comics, and I'm in my mid 30s, so even if you're older than me you really couldn't have gotten that idea from the comics. He's actually about close to me in age.

-Aunt May is elderly, not hot, lol

-They never lived in a high rise

-Right now in the comics Peter actually owns a multinational corporation and he has wealth rivaling Tony Stark's

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
I wonder where people get their idea of the definition of how to define comic characters? People (me included) say this version of Spider-Man is the "most faithful to the comics" but only his personality is.

-Peter Parker hasn't been a high school student the entire time I've been reading comics, and I'm in my mid 30s, so even if you're older than me you really couldn't have gotten that idea from the comics. He's actually about close to me in age.

-Right now in the comics Peter actually owns a multinational corporation and he has wealth rivaling Tony Stark's

To me, there is a character "profile" that for the most part has to stay consistent. The exterior stuff (Parker being in HS, hot Aunt May, high rise, wealth) doesnt really bother me, that can change. The makeup of the character (peter having the weight of responsibility constantly, his nerdy personality, his courage) should stay consistent in any iteration of the character.

There are things you should "know" about certain characters as soon as they step on screen.

Bruce is a damaged, driven individual who will stop at nothing to bring someone down.

Spiderman, see above

Superman, boy scout

Cap, also boy scout

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
To me, there is a character "profile" that for the most part has to stay consistent. The exterior stuff (Parker being in HS, hot Aunt May, high rise, wealth) doesnt really bother me, that can change. The makeup of the character (peter having the weight of responsibility constantly, his nerdy personality, his courage) should stay consistent in any iteration of the character.

There are things you should "know" about certain characters as soon as they step on screen.

Bruce is a damaged, driven individual who will stop at nothing to bring someone down.

Spiderman, see above

Superman, boy scout

Cap, also boy scout

I think there's a lot less things that are "canon" than people think are actually canon, cuz stuff changes from writer to writer and movie to movie.

Batman for example has a much shorter list than people think:

-His parents were murdered in front of him in an alley when he was very young

-He's a billionaire who was raised by his butler Alfred after the murder and as an adult he carried this trauma with him

-He disappeared in early adulthood to somewhere (the Himalayas, but could be anywhere) to master a bunch of martial arts

-His liaison with the GCPD is Jim Gordon

That's it - the rest of the stuff is totally negotiable, even the extended Bat-Family (unless they are included in the story, which changes the equation for that character only who has his/her own canon)

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
I think there's a lot less things that are "canon" than people think are actually canon, cuz stuff changes from writer to writer and movie to movie.

-He's a billionaire who was raised by his butler Alfred after the murder and as an adult he carried this trauma with him

-He disappeared in early adulthood to somewhere (the Himalayas, but could be anywhere) to master a bunch of martial arts

That's it - the rest of the stuff is totally negotiable, even the extended Bat-Family (unless they are included in the story, which changes the equation for that character only who has his/her own canon)

As long as i never see another Bat Credit Card, i will live.

I think it was smart of Marvel not to dwell on Tony Starks alcoholism, it seems like they replaced it with his want to be Iron Man(which is why Pepper said see ya)

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)

Bring back Bat-Mite.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)

Personality is the most important.

With Spidey he needs to have this overwhelming sense of responsibility, being a nerdy outsider as Peter and a wiseass in battle.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)

I think it was smart of Marvel not to dwell on Tony Starks alcoholism, it seems like they replaced it with his want to be Iron Man(which is why Pepper said see ya)

That actually happened in the comics too. They kinda touched on the alcoholism in Iron Man 2, though, they just didn't go all the way with it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
Personality is the most important.

With Spidey he needs to have this overwhelming sense of responsibility, being a nerdy outsider as Peter and a wiseass in battle.

I think the question I'm trying to ask is actually "why does everyone still think Peter Parker is 16 years old"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 10, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)

Too close to real life for Downey, Jr., perhaps?