Sox Fire Mark Parent

shysocks

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
Interesting. I don't see the point with three days to go and an expiring contract. Why not just not renew the contract.

Uhhh...because he probably told them to go f themselves and got a plane ticket back to wherever he lives.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
Interesting. I don't see the point with three days to go and an expiring contract. Why not just not renew the contract.

What usually happens is they probably told him he isn't coming back and gave him the option to stick it out. At this point, might as well get a 3 day head start on the offseason. He needs to start looking for a job. Unless he has pissed someone off, I would imagine that is how it is. I think they gave all of Ozzie's coaches the choice except Cora.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
What usually happens is they probably told him he isn't coming back and gave him the option to stick it out. At this point, might as well get a 3 day head start on the offseason. He needs to start looking for a job. Unless he has pissed someone off, I would imagine that is how it is. I think they gave all of Ozzie's coaches the choice except Cora.

I presume that is the case as well...just seems like you'd instead say, we aren't bringing you back, take the next few days off and figure out where you want to go (start calling people, etc). I guess semantics is you were fired (since you weren't re-hired / resigned).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
I would find it most unusual to fire the bench coach. Then fire the manager. This pretty much tells you who is managing the 2016 White Sox.

Unless Robin decides he doesn't want the gig, he'll be the mgr. This is just further proof of it. That said, Parent is close to Ventura so this is a sign of the front office being a bit more involved, however, as Robin said, they do have say in the hiring of assistants. Is Ozz going to be the new bench coach? ;)

I seriously dont know any oraganization except for this one in any sport that would have kept it's Head Coach/Manager after majorily underachieving in his 4th year. Especially after that same Front Office/ Manager was talking about playoffs in Training before the season. There's no explanation they can provide that would somehow make this ok. You shouldnt get a 5th year after the record you've piled up in 4 years.

The Cincinnatti Bengals is probably the closest thing I can come up with

Edited by Baron

For what it's worth I was told by someone who knows both Robin and the coaches personally last Friday that Parent "wanted Robin's job" and was giving him bad advice during the season. This person also told me that Parent was a very "negative" person on the bench and with the team.

To say nothing of his comment back in May about coaches shouldn't have to work with players "every day" as they are "major leagues" (this at a time when according to Fan Graphs the Sox were on pace to have the worst defense and base running numbers since the late 60's...)

If what I was told is true (and I believe the person) this is a good move, but as everyone knows much more is needed...and that's not happening.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1