White Sox acquire Brett Lawrie

Baron

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 05:42 PM)
The questions is if you had your choice if we do land Lawrie would you rather Sign Upton, Sign Cespedes, Sign Gordon, or trade for Cargo? (Not going to include J Hey cause there is no chance)

Personally I would be ecstatic if we traded for Lawrie to play 2B, sign the Japenese 3B, and sign J up. Although my ultimate pipe dream is landing Puig.

Heck no to trading Cargo. Give me Upton

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
Seriously. Gordon's front has been quiet to. Upton was linked to Angels, then it was immediately shot down. Then he was linked to the Orioles, then it was shot down again.

Garfien tweeted "Sox working a lot, could be lining up some moves" or something of that nature.

For good reason. No way I'd put a 9 digit expense on him.

Gordon is probably going to go after everyone plays out Heyward and then Upton.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
Heck no to trading Cargo. Give me Upton

I concur. Upton may be the steal of the offseason. Him playing in the cell would do wonders for his power numbers, plus adding him and Brett Lao- Wre at 26 a piece goes into the plan of building a young core of young talent.

My preference would be to trade for CarGo if the price is reasonable. I know the Sox need power and it would nice if they could get it from the left side. #3 Abreu #4 CarGo #5 Lawrie sounds good to me.

Again, that depends on what the Rockies want for CarGo. If the cost is too high I'd shoot for Cespedes.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)
Him playing in the cell would do wonders for his power numbers

i remember thinking the same thing about Thome.

i remember thinking the same thing about Dunn.

i remember thinking the same thing about LaRoche.

i'm sure if we get Upton, he'd have a career LOW year.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)

Thome and Dunn were both really good power hitters here. Dunn had a historically s*** season but he also hit 41 homers 1 year with us

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)

Jim Thome hit 42, 35, 34, and 23 homers for the White Sox over the course of 4 years.

Adam Dunn has one of the worst years ever in baseball history his first year here, and then hit 41, 34, and 20 homers in 106 games over his last three years.

Haha what. We got Thome when he was 35 and he still hit a ton of homers with us. What kind of outrageous expectations did you have?

These guy were all in the twilight of their careers for the most part. Not to mention were all strictly three outcome hitters (maybe with the exception of Thome) they either hit a HR, SO, or BB. They relied on power whereas Upton is a contact hitter with pop who would benefit from a hitters park who not only scores and drives in runs but is only 26.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

Thome hit a HR every 13.2 ABs with the Sox versus 13.9 ABs for all other teams he played for

Dunn hit a HR every 15.0 ABs with the Sox (excluding his disastrous 2011) versus 14.1 for all other teams he played for

Both of this were acquired on the downslopes of their careers. You want to rip on Dunn or LaRoche that's fine, but leave Thome out of it. The guy was an absolute beast for the most part with the Sox and had the 5th highest OPS of his career in 2006 with the Sox as a 35 year old.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
#Cubs are eyeing Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, but his injury history is a concern, writes @MLBBruceLevine:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/12/09/lev...n-their-sights/

I'm sure they are looking elsewhere after it's been said J Hey is probably going to end up with a 10-year deal.

I don't get the j hey love, yes he's an amazing OF but is an average hitter. Hits around .260-.280 with like 20 HRs and 80-100 RBIS. I mean we could use all those things consistently on the south side but to give this kid an absurd amount of $ for 10 years seems insane to me especially since your paying for a glove with the same hope people have had for years that his Offense improves.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
I'm sure they are looking elsewhere after it's been said J Hey is probably going to end up with a 10-year deal.

I don't get the j hey love, yes he's an amazing OF but is an average hitter. Hits around .260-.280 with like 20 HRs and 80-100 RBIS. I mean we could use all those things consistently on the south side but to give this kid an absurd amount of $ for 10 years seems insane to me especially since your paying for a glove with the same hope people have had for years that his Offense improves.

He has a career 118 wRC+ with 4 of his 6 years being over 120. That is not "average".