2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)
Paging Ptact....

Jaylon Smith is already walking, but is wearing something called a AFO. A guy on Twitter who may or may not have 17+ years as an NFL phycisian says that would indicate nerve damage. Earlier reports said there was no nerve damage. What gives? Does the AFO 100% indicate nerve damage, or could it just be part of the rehab?

I was just starting to think the Bears should take a chance on him in the first, but this would knock me back out of that consideration.

An AFO is an Ankle Foot Orthosis. Its a plastic brace that goes along the back of the calf and into the shoe to hold the foot up. This could be a significant problem. It is used when soneone doesn't have control of the anterior tibialis muscle which bring the foot up into dorsiflexion. It is used with people who have has strokes or a paralysis of the tibial nerve which winds around the head of the fibula.

This really has no place in rehab for the ACL. However, he also had some lateral knee damage. He could have injured the nerve at that point. The good news is that nerves can heal for about 18 months so he will regain at least some back. The bad news is teams won't know how it will heal before the draft.

I'm not sure why else he would be wearing an AFO, unless the lateral knee damage was repaired in some odd way that they needed to stabilize the lower extremity but thats grasping at straws.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:00 PM)
An AFO is an Ankle Foot Orthosis. Its a plastic brace that goes along the back of the calf and into the shoe to hold the foot up. This could be a significant problem. It is used when soneone doesn't have control of the anterior tibialis muscle which bring the foot up into dorsiflexion. It is used with people who have has strokes or a paralysis of the tibial nerve which winds around the head of the fibula.

This really has no place in rehab for the ACL. However, he also had some lateral knee damage. He could have injured the nerve at that point. The good news is that nerves can heal for about 18 months so he will regain at least some back. The bad news is teams won't know how it will heal before the draft.

I'm not sure why else he would be wearing an AFO, unless the lateral knee damage was repaired in some odd way that they needed to stabilize the lower extremity but thats grasping at straws.

=(

That's a bummer. Just 2 days ago I was reading articles on him and was getting excited about the possibility of drafting him at 11(seeing as a lot of guys are calling him a top 3 prospect and comparing him to the likes of Patrick Willis and Derrick Johnson).

I guess it could be a good thing as he's probably gonna plummet in the draft.

Considering what we know now, would you consider him in the 2nd? 3rd?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
=(

That's a bummer. Just 2 days ago I was reading articles on him and was getting excited about the possibility of drafting him at 11(seeing as a lot of guys are calling him a top 3 prospect and comparing him to the likes of Patrick Willis and Derrick Johnson).

I guess it could be a good thing as he's probably gonna plummet in the draft.

Considering what we know now, would you consider him in the 2nd? 3rd?

If it was a significant nerve injury I would think it would be making the news rounds by now but who knows. I would think closer to the draft we will find out. Im sure teams will get medical reports before that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)
If it was a significant nerve injury I would think it would be making the news rounds by now but who knows. I would think closer to the draft we will find out. Im sure teams will get medical reports before that.

His combine physical is tomorrow, so hopefully we get more information tomorrow or soon there after.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)
His combine physical is tomorrow, so hopefully we get more information tomorrow or soon there after.

Im surprised he is agreeing to a physical there. I would've thought they postpone it to later.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:14 PM)
Johnny Manziel to the grand jury for Domestic Violence.

He's done in the NFL.

never underestimate the NFLs ability to welcome back big name criminal douchebags with open arms

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
True, but Manziel is big name

If he could do the "turning his life around" thing after several years maybe someone would give him a chance to work out with the team, but I'd guess he'd have to go somewhere like AFL or Canada to show that he can play first.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)

He's a red shirt player with significant knee damage. Thats a huge risk in the draft. Sucks since he's a good kid.

However that should improve Darron Lee's stock a bit since they measured in at exactly the same size.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)
Paging Ptact....

Jaylon Smith is already walking, but is wearing something called a AFO. A guy on Twitter who may or may not have 17+ years as an NFL phycisian says that would indicate nerve damage. Earlier reports said there was no nerve damage. What gives? Does the AFO 100% indicate nerve damage, or could it just be part of the rehab?

I was just starting to think the Bears should take a chance on him in the first, but this would knock me back out of that consideration.

The Bears wouldnt want another Red Shirt rookie. There was no chance they were going to take him in the first.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
The Bears wouldnt want another Red Shirt rookie. There was no chance they were going to take him in the first.

Reports I was reading before yesterday made it sound like he would have to be a red shirt rookie. He was already walking 6 months before the season. This new info does throw a wrench into that though.

I do like Darron Lee though.

My boy Dan Vitale had himself a solid day.

2nd best verticle, 3rd best broad, and a respectable 4.6 40 for an H-back. Those ranks are up against RBs too. He had 30 reps as well, which was the most.

If they let Miller and/or Marty go, I would love to bring him in. Wouldn't mind him even if both are back.....No idea where he goes though. Patriots are said to be highly interested. I would hope he is there in the 5th.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)
@MRidenourABJ 4m4 minutes ago

#NotreDame LB Jaylon Smith said knee has no nerve damage. Torn ACL, LCL

Bart Hubbuch

Twitter › BartHubbuch

Jaylon Smith says he's wearing an orthosis brace to "help the nerve heal" but also claims there is no nerve damage. Uh, okayyyy ...