2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Patriots get a lot of s*** and people seem generally hate them, but it really is amazing what they have been able to do. It would be amazing in the pre free agency days. Let alone now.

Being a Packers fan and seeing how difficult it has been for them to get back to the Super Bowl even with Aaron Rodgers. I couldn't imagine a team going 7 times in recent years.

Every move they make is calculated. They don't concern themselves with loyalty and opinion of the rest of the league. If you want more money then they are offering? Good bye. Collins clashed with the coaches, and they shipped to Cleveland for a draft pick even though he still could play. They have also had lots of success with guys like Blount who may have been black listed by the rest of the league for off the field stuff.

But most importantly, they have mastered the art of the white wide receiver.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
Every move they make is calculated. They don't concern themselves with loyalty and opinion of the rest of the league. If you want more money then they are offering? Good bye. Collins clashed with the coaches, and they shipped to Cleveland for a draft pick even though he still could play. They have also had lots of success with guys like Blount who may have been black listed by the rest of the league for off the field stuff.

But most importantly, they have mastered the art of the white wide receiver.

Shea McClellin is a f***ing regular for the Patriots. And they're headed to the Super Bowl.

They're just doing it better.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
They got rid of Chandler Jones. Traded Jamie Collins. Lost Rob Gronkowski for the year.

No big deal. See you in the Super Bowl.

The Bears gave them 2 replacements for those guys, so yeah. We had a nice hand in helping the Patriots this year.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 06:52 AM)
@49ers 12h12 hours ago

John Lynch has been named General Manager of the San Francisco #49ers.

This is kinda weird.

Shanny has personnel control. Always was a fan of Lynch the football player. Interesting to see him take this kind of role. Someone on the radio this morning was comparing this to either being successfully like Elway or a disaster like Matt Millen.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
Kirk Cousins should start house shopping in the Bay Area, I could see a trade going down very soon. Coaches love to have QBs they are familiar with.

I'm not going to lie, I'd like Kirk Cousins. He's not great, but he's pretty good. Of course I'm a QB starved Bears fan.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
I'm not going to lie, I'd like Kirk Cousins. He's not great, but he's pretty good. Of course I'm a QB starved Bears fan.

He's fine. Cutler was probably more talented, but more mistake-prone than Cousins. You are not gonna win a Super Bowl on Cousins' arm but he could win a few playoff games with a really good supporting cast. But he's about to get expensive and he's already 29.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 07:01 AM)
Malik Hooker has to have labrum and hernia surgeries. Maybe he will fall a bit in the draft.

I still can't see him falling to the second round. If we don't take QB, I'm all over one of the top safeties (although would prefer trading down).

Not that it is a huge sample size, but the Bears also practiced with the Pats last year and through that, presumably got some additional insight in terms of how Jimmy works with his teammates, etc. We know I'm a supporter, albiet, there is obviously risk when the best team in the league is trading a guy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
By the way, I still think Jimmy G should be plan A (presuming we could get him for less than a 1st round pick).

If we can get him for our second and a third next year I would be pretty damn excited.

You could still draft a defensive beast with the third pick and add Jimmy G? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiit.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
If we can get him for our second and a third next year I would be pretty damn excited.

You could still draft a defensive beast with the third pick and add Jimmy G? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiit.

My ideal scenario would be to trade down and grab the best safety available, get some more picks, use a 2nd and 3rd (following year) on Jimmy G and then obviously use some FA money. Could all be a disaster, but I'd be okay swinging for it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
My ideal scenario would be to trade down and grab the best safety available, get some more picks, use a 2nd and 3rd (following year) on Jimmy G and then obviously use some FA money. Could all be a disaster, but I'd be okay swinging for it.

I would still want that for sure game changer with the third pick instead of a really good safety + two dice rolls.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)

Remember free agency happens before the draft. A lot will be clear more when that happens in terms of the Bears needs.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
I would still want that for sure game changer with the third pick instead of a really good safety + two dice rolls.

I think the game changers available at #3 are safeties and I view the top two relatively interchangeably and not being worthy of the #3 pick, so if a team had another player, say an offensive player they wanted/needed to move up a few slots to get, I'd prefer to make that move and accumulate picks. I have always believed in the Jimmy Johnson (and really to some extent Belicheck) view of moving down and accumulating picks...gives you the opportunity to be aggressive when you need to move up. Pace has also shown he is not afraid to move picks (which I like).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
I think the game changers available at #3 are safeties and I view the top two relatively interchangeably and not being worthy of the #3 pick, so if a team had another player, say an offensive player they wanted/needed to move up a few slots to get, I'd prefer to make that move and accumulate picks. I have always believed in the Jimmy Johnson (and really to some extent Belicheck) view of moving down and accumulating picks...gives you the opportunity to be aggressive when you need to move up. Pace has also shown he is not afraid to move picks (which I like).

Their are some good safeties, but is #3 too high too take one? Going to be interesting to say the least.

Edited by Soxfest