2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 07:21 AM)

So you're telling me Arrieta is not going to have another historic season or finish the year with a sub-2.00 ERA again? You don't say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by coco1997

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 07:21 AM)

He expects to beat everybody, and he eats a lot of Kale. He also poses naked for ESPN. If I were a professional baseball player and faced him on the mound, I wouldn't be able to help but laugh at him. I just have a feeling that he is going to make a quick dive back to earth, or that he is hurt...just a hunch.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
He expects to beat everybody, and he eats a lot of Kale. He also poses naked for ESPN. If I were a professional baseball player and faced him on the mound, I wouldn't be able to help but laugh at him. I just have a feeling that he is going to make a quick dive back to earth, or that he is hurt...just a hunch.

He is still 12-3 2.33 ERA.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
He is still 12-3 2.33 ERA.

I know he is. But, he I believe he will continue to regress. Sometimes, there are times when a player/pitcher is very good for a period of time, then they just regress. I saw that with Contreras. Hell, Loaiza was "great" for a season in 2003. It just happens. To me, when watching him, he just does not look the same. Additionally, when you continually pitch against anemic offenses like the Reds, Milwaukee, and Pirates statistics will probably be a bit inflated.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
Lester rocked. If the Cubs lose today they will be 5-12 their last 17 vs winning teams. How does that happen under Joe Maddon?

They better hope the Mets don't earn that Wild Card slot especially if they finish with the best record in the NL. Regardless, going to be a tough road for them to the World Series with teams like the Giants, Nationals, LA, and now the Mets playing good ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
"You're never as good as you look when you're playing your best and you're never as bad as you look when you're playing your worst".

No doubt but at least we can definitively put the best team ever and regular season wins record to rest. If I were a Cubs fan I would be very concerned about their performance against good teams. It's great to beat up on bad teams because that's what good teams do but they are going to need to beat very good teams to win the World Series.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
No doubt but at least we can definitively put the best team ever and regular season wins record to rest. If I were a Cubs fan I would be very concerned about their performance against good teams. It's great to beat up on bad teams because that's what good teams do but they are going to need to beat very good teams to win the World Series.

Any team going to the playoffs can find something to be nervous about if they want to. Why are the Cubs struggling right now? Dexter Fowler would be an all star starter and he's been out for a month. Their pitching staff couldn't keep that pace up, even if they're still a strong unit. What will the organization do about this? Well they already have brought up a couple guys including Contreras, but that's not going to replace Fowler. The plan therefore is, of course, wait until close to the deadline and see what is available that makes you darn near unbeatable. If Andrew Miller or David Robertson become available, that's a move going for the jugular of the league. Maybe they could consider a starting pitcher, but at the same time Lester isn't going to keep having "worst outing of his career" every time out (although I hope he has one next Friday because i"ll be there to cheer every run he gives up).

Basically, they're a very good team that should make a deadline move or two. And is there any guarantee that they'll win the world series just because they're the best team? Of course not, but do that for a few years in a row and you darn well better win one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
Any team going to the playoffs can find something to be nervous about if they want to. Why are the Cubs struggling right now? Dexter Fowler would be an all star starter and he's been out for a month. Their pitching staff couldn't keep that pace up, even if they're still a strong unit. What will the organization do about this? Well they already have brought up a couple guys including Contreras, but that's not going to replace Fowler. The plan therefore is, of course, wait until close to the deadline and see what is available that makes you darn near unbeatable. If Andrew Miller or David Robertson become available, that's a move going for the jugular of the league. Maybe they could consider a starting pitcher, but at the same time Lester isn't going to keep having "worst outing of his career" every time out (although I hope he has one next Friday because i"ll be there to cheer every run he gives up).

Basically, they're a very good team that should make a deadline move or two. And is there any guarantee that they'll win the world series just because they're the best team? Of course not, but do that for a few years in a row and you darn well better win one.

Let me put it another way. If the White Sox were going through what the Cubs are experiencing right now, 99% of Sox fans would be freaking out. I don't think it's time to freak out if you are a Cubs fan but there certainly is cause for concern especially if Arrieta regresses back to non-ace form.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
"You're never as good as you look when you're playing your best and you're never as bad as you look when you're playing your worst".

That is true, but timing is also everything. All that really matters is that you're not "at your worst" come playoff time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/time-fo...truggling-team/

Morrissey: Maddon needs to be more honest/realistic and less of a perpetual cheerleader for these Cubs

Maddon will bring in some zoo animals, the media will eat it up. The Cubs will win 8 of 10 against the Reds/Brewers and the manager who wears fashionable eye wear and drinks wine in his manager's office will be labeled a genius by the media.

Edited by zenryan