AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!

2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
Both bullpens blew but the Sox blew less. Abreu 10 AB's in a row on base , now hitting .310 . 17 hits for the Sox. 7 guys had multiple hits game.

Very reminiscent of the Big Hurt in his prime.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
Very reminiscent of the Big Hurt in his prime.

I'd agree though I remember Frank getting criticized for walking too much. Abreu goes out of the zone more to drive in runs. That's part of the reason why he was K'ing a lot . He was always looking to get the runs in . Now he's getting much better waiting for that 1 pitch he can drive.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 12:04 AM)
If I showed you the bold in December, you'd think I'm crazy.

Such an awesome season for a .500 team...

Abreu is now the first Sox hitter to have 10 PA in a row without making an out since ... Frank Thomas had 15 in a row in 1997. Makes sense.

I was critical of Robin in the game threat but whatever the more important thing is this team has some good talent again and if they can find some decent players to fill out the roster they might have something good going for awhile. All their key pieces are locked up for at least the next 4 years.

If Jose keeps this up, he's gonna finish around 330/390/630, lordy. Will he ever slump again? Like, seriously, he kinda owned the cuban league is this just who he is, one of the 5 best hitters in MLB?

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 11:19 PM)
Such an awesome season for a .500 team...

Abreu is now the first Sox hitter to have 10 PA in a row without making an out since ... Frank Thomas had 15 in a row in 1997. Makes sense.

I was critical of Robin in the game threat but whatever the more important thing is this team has some good talent again and if they can find some decent players to fill out the roster they might have something good going for awhile. All their key pieces are locked up for at least the next 4 years.

If Jose keeps this up, he's gonna finish around 330/390/630, lordy. Will he ever slump again? Like, seriously, he kinda owned the cuban league is this just who he is, one of the 5 best hitters in MLB?

Other than Trout, who would you rather have?

Miguel Cabrera's older and not hitting for as much power, more injury-prone.

Giancarlo Stanton?

Tulo?

Puig?

McCutchen?

That's probably your Top 7, including Abreu...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 01:42 AM)
Other than Trout, who would you rather have?

Miguel Cabrera's older and not hitting for as much power, more injury-prone.

Giancarlo Stanton?

Tulo?

Puig?

McCutchen?

That's probably your Top 7, including Abreu...

If you listen to the radio, those clowns think Rizzo is the more favorable player right now.

Abreu isn't even the top 1st baseman in Chicago.

Then again, they thought Lee was better than Kong and Sosa was better than Thomas...

QUOTE (black jack @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
If you listen to the radio, those clowns think Rizzo is the more favorable player right now.

Abreu isn't even the top 1st baseman in Chicago.

Then again, they thought Lee was better than Kong and Sosa was better than Thomas...

lets put it even better, while I do agree with you, the sox will always be the bastard unwanted child.

no matter what the sox says, do, or even how many championship the sox win, the sox will always

take 2nd place.

now with the bolded words, for some, according to some he will be better. that is if they want to only

see the homers. true fans will look at the whole profile and know what Thomas brought to the table.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 12:19 AM)
Such an awesome season for a .500 team... Abreu is now the first Sox hitter to have 10 PA in a row without making an out since ... Frank Thomas had 15 in a row in 1997. Makes sense. I was critical of Robin in the game threat but whatever the more important thing is this team has some good talent again and if they can find some decent players to fill out the roster they might have something good going for awhile. All their key pieces are locked up for at least the next 4 years. If Jose keeps this up, he's gonna finish around 330/390/630, lordy. Will he ever slump again? Like, seriously, he kinda owned the cuban league is this just who he is, one of the 5 best hitters in MLB?

Awesome I would love to see him break Jolt'n Joe's record 54 games!

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 07:56 AM)
Awesome I would love to see him break Jolt'n Joe's record 54 games!

That record (56) is one of the hardest to break considering such a hot hitter would be walked a lot. Besides the 21 game streak and 10 AB streak he also has a hit in 39 of the last 40 games. He had that 18 game hitting streak went 0/4 against Seattle on July 5th then started the current streak . Abreu was taken out in the 9th for pinch runner Leury Garcia who then took his place in the lineup and got 2 AB's and got a hit. The Sox did not score in the 9th and eventually lost in the 14th inning 3-2. If he wasn't pinch run for it's possible we're looking at a 40 game hitting streak now. Imagine the media frenzy once a player gets to 40. The closest anyone has come to DiMaggio's record is 1978 when Pete Rose had a 44 game streak and that was a big deal . I remember it. BTW the Sox record is 24 ,I believe ,by Carlos Lee.

After his 0/4 ABreu was hitting .276. He's now at .310 http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameda..._1&mode=box link to boxscore.

P.S. When Joe DiMaggio played for the San Francisco Seals of the Pacific Coast League he had a 61 game hitting streak with a total of 104 hits — five games longer than his Major League record. Source : Baseball-Almanac.com

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Abreu would seem to have a good toolset for long hitting streaks. If we assume his May was an anomaly, he's fairly adept at making contact. He also does not take very many walks and swings at a lot of pitches. He has shown a proficiency for being pretty successful on balls he puts in play. He bats highly in the order. Not prohibitively slow, though he would be better served to be able to get some infield hits.

“I don’t have the prescience to tell you where this season is going to take us,” Sale said. “But as long as we come in every day and we work hard and play like we played tonight and string some stuff together, I don’t see why we couldn’t be there with anybody else.”

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
“I don’t have the prescience to tell you where this season is going to take us,” Sale said. “But as long as we come in every day and we work hard and play like we played tonight and string some stuff together, I don’t see why we couldn’t be there with anybody else.”

it's his word of the week