Cora becomes bench coach

3 BeWareTheNewSox 5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freaking awesome. Anything that makes Razor a part of the coaching staff is a fantastic move. I wonder if they are going to create a position for Alomar to coach.

Of course our minor league system is hurt since Razor is such a tremendous minor league manager. I don't think Sandy would take a minor league coaching job. Than again Sandy will probably play another season.

Getting Cora out of the 3rd base coaching box is beyond great. Adding Shines to the staff is also good, and even if it means weakening minor league instruction a bit, Shines was going to get a major league job soon. If not 2007, although I think it was beyond likely, definitely in 2008.

It also appears Man Soo Lee is going back to Korea. He will be missed. He truely is one of the greatest guys ever to wear a uniform in professional sports. His absence probably won't mean anything to the White Sox on the field, but put smiles on a lot of fan's faces anytime they were able to interact with him. Maybe Alomar becomes the new bullpen catcher.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
Freaking awesome. Anything that makes Razor a part of the coaching staff is a fantastic move. I wonder if they are going to create a position for Alomar to coach.

Of course our minor league system is hurt since Razor is such a tremendous minor league manager. I don't think Sandy would take a minor league coaching job. Than again Sandy will probably play another season.

The last player coach I can remember was Pete Rose. Didn't Frank Robinson also player/coach for a season.

You know, just wondering. ;)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Getting Cora out of the 3rd base coaching box is beyond great. Adding Shines to the staff is also good, and even if it means weakening minor league instruction a bit, Shines was going to get a major league job soon. If not 2007, although I think it was beyond likely, definitely in 2008.

It also appears Man Soo Lee is going back to Korea. He will be missed. He truely is one of the greatest guys ever to wear a uniform in professional sports. His absence probably won't mean anything to the White Sox on the field, but put smiles on a lot of fan's faces anytime they were able to interact with him. Maybe Alomar becomes the new bullpen catcher.

I don't know if Sandy would want to be the bullpen catcher, but if you gave him some sort of extra duties or we created a position for him and some of his duties would be bullpen catcher maybe it would work. However, in general the bullpen catcher isn't the type of job you give to someone like Alomar. Nor do I think Alomar would accept it.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 09:46 PM)
Wasn't there some pretty negative and nasty press associated with Razor Shines when he first came on board, 3 or 4 years ago. I know Backman got rave reviews while here but I thought for some reason that Razor Shines was trouble when he first started out even though he won a-lot. I could be wrong.

Backman was the one who was in some deep doodoo. I don't think Shines was.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
Backman was the one who was in some deep doodoo. I don't think Shines was.

Ya, thats how I remember it. Shines is a pretty firey guy but I don't seem to recall any major problems with him. The players play hard for him, his teams win and overall he's a very good mgr. He is similar to Ozzie in some instances in that they have similar philosphies about how the game should be played (and for the most part I tend to agree with Ozzie's theories on that).

Actually you are right. When he was first managing in the system the team was very frustrated with his initial managing style. In fact he was fired from the Reds organization after going into the stands after some fans threw beer onto him. Kenny made a visit to potentially fire him, but Williams and Shines are supposed to be relatively close or family friends or something.

But I think part of it could be attributed to the team not being comfortable. By the way I have no first hand knowledge of any of this, but I can comment on what I've been told from players who have played for him and they all seem to think he's a top notch manager and great to play for.

Razor is known for a very agressive style so don't think we aren't going to see plenty of guys get thrown out. I just hope we won't see Paulie sent during ridiculous circumstances. That said Joey is a pretty rock solid 3rd base coach, problem was he was too agressive with his slower runners.

In 05 we were all applauding the guy for being top notch. That said I'd be the first to say he had a lot of serious faults last year, but he's still a solid coach and very well respected in all of baseball.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
Razor is known for a very agressive style so don't think we aren't going to see plenty of guys get thrown out. I just hope we won't see Paulie sent during ridiculous circumstances. That said Joey is a pretty rock solid 3rd base coach, problem was he was too agressive with his slower runners.

In 05 we were all applauding the guy for being top notch. That said I'd be the first to say he had a lot of serious faults last year, but he's still a solid coach and very well respected in all of baseball.

Aggressive baserunning at 3rd is often not a bad thing.

What Cora was doing with guys like Konerko and Thome was not just aggressive baserunning, ti was foolish.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
Aggressive baserunning at 3rd is often not a bad thing.

What Cora was doing with guys like Konerko and Thome was not just aggressive baserunning, ti was foolish.

Completely agree. That said I think people have been far more negative when it comes to Cora than he really deserves.