*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

Okay, I know a lot of people here go to the gym on a regular basis. So what peeves you the most at the gym? I swear I see a new thing that annoys the hell out of me each and every day. I'll start:

People who stay on the same machine for 10 minutes. Usually coupled with checking their phone while on said machine, thus delaying their departure from the machine.

Edited by maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I manage at a club, I can relate to everything that will be posted here.

Bring an employer that all the members know, it is hard to workout and not be bothered even when I have headphones and a cap on. Seriously, leave me alone.

The first 2 weeks of the year with all the quitters tying everything up.

People who sweat like pigs and don't wipe off the equipment. Also, people who just smell so bad in general when they work out that you just don't want to be near them.

Old guys in the locker room who walk around in the locker room with their old ass gray-haired stretched out balls dangling halfway to their knees. I get it, you're not shy, but any longer than 30 seconds or so and you're doing it on purpose.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)

People who sweat like pigs and don't wipe off the equipment. Also, people who just smell so bad in general when they work out that you just don't want to be near them.

Old guys in the locker room who walk around in the locker room with their old ass gray-haired stretched out balls dangling halfway to their knees. I get it, you're not shy, but any longer than 30 seconds or so and you're doing it on purpose.

I hate that, and I hate when people have cologne on just to go to the gym.

Also, the super grunters and the people drop weights to the ground.

Oh and the people who don't re-rack their s***. Ok, if it's like 10 pounds or something, I ain't pissed, but I can't stand having to take off like three 45-pound weights on the bench so I can start my routine.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
I hate that, and I hate when people have colon on just to go to the gym.

Also, the super grunters and the people drop weights to the ground.

Oh and the people who don't re-rack their s***. Ok, if it's like 10 pounds or something, I ain't pissed, but I can't stand having to take off like three 45-pound weights on the bench so I can start my routine.

Given the context of the sentence containing the bolded word, I was really shaking my head at this one at first...:)

If i'm looking at myself in the mirror it's not because I'm being vain, it's because I'm trying to make sure I'm isolating whatever muscle I'm working on and not cheating with my back (usually with curls) but unless you do it a bunch of times in a row I'm not going to be pissed if you get in front of me for 2 seconds.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)

This for sure...

And it's really bad at this time of year to workout on college campuses. It's packed all day b/c so many dumbasses think if they start working out 4 weeks before Spring Break, they're going to look awesome. Can't wait til late March when the crowds die down.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
This for sure...

And it's really bad at this time of year to workout on college campuses. It's packed all day b/c so many dumbasses think if they start working out 4 weeks before Spring Break, they're going to look awesome. Can't wait til late March when the crowds die down.

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the people who do complaint 1 of this thread.

Or even worse, the groups of 3 people who do it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
If i'm looking at myself in the mirror it's not because I'm being vain, it's because I'm trying to make sure I'm isolating whatever muscle I'm working on and not cheating with my back (usually with curls) but unless you do it a bunch of times in a row I'm not going to be pissed if you get in front of me for 2 seconds.

Triceps are the main one I use the mirror for, making sure I get full extension.

I am a member of a smaller gym, so you'll have to excuse me that I don't have the same problems as everyone else, but my biggest pet peeve is when there is a radio that is just blaring on some stupid station and there is absolutely nobody listening to it whatsoever.

lostfan called it with the body odor. You're obviously going to have excess sweat flying all over the place. Which I don't have a problem with. As I sweat pretty hard when doing cardio. But no need to compound that by not showering or wearing deodorant before a workout or even worse wearing non-clean attire while working out.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
lostfan called it with the body odor. You're obviously going to have excess sweat flying all over the place. Which I don't have a problem with. As I sweat pretty hard when doing cardio. But no need to compound that by not showering or wearing deodorant before a workout or even worse wearing non-clean attire while working out.

^^yes.

I know it's the gym and you're not going to be able to control the fact that you don't smell too clean but I shouldn't be able to smell you from 10 feet away. Seriously wear deodorant. They make it for a reason, you should not smell like that ever. And you don't get a free pass on smelling like s***, onions, feet, and ripe p**** because you're in an intense workout. GTFOHWTBS

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
^^yes.

I know it's the gym and you're not going to be able to control the fact that you don't smell too clean but I shouldn't be able to smell you from 10 feet away. Seriously wear deodorant. They make it for a reason, you should not smell like that ever. And you don't get a free pass on smelling like s***, onions, feet, and ripe p**** because you're in an intense workout. GTFOHWTBS

A few years ago when I first moved to Las Vegas, my then roommate and I used to go to the gym after work every day. He used to wear this green tshirt every single day. He would just take it off after the workout, and then put it back in his bag. I didn't notice until a few weeks into our workouts that he never actually washed the shirt. It started getting crusty and just reeking of absolutely awfulness when I finally said "Do you wear the same shirt every day?" And he started cracking up laughing.

I am sure there are people who do this, at least to some degree, and this is why some people just smell like absolute horrendousness.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
A few years ago when I first moved to Las Vegas, my then roommate and I used to go to the gym after work every day. He used to wear this green tshirt every single day. He would just take it off after the workout, and then put it back in his bag. I didn't notice until a few weeks into our workouts that he never actually washed the shirt. It started getting crusty and just reeking of absolutely awfulness when I finally said "Do you wear the same shirt every day?" And he started cracking up laughing.

I am sure there are people who do this, at least to some degree, and this is why some people just smell like absolute horrendousness.

Yuck. I would stop going.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
You know what I hate? There's a room of 40 spin bikes and about 10 people in the class. I purposely sequester myself far away from everyone else... and someone has to take the bike right next to or right behind me.

Same thing for when I'm peeing in the urinal although this doesn't make me mad so much as it makes me wonder why a stranger wants to be so close to me when my cock is out.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
Yuck. I would stop going.

I always hated going to the gym for many of the reasons you guys are listing here. And it's just as bad, if not worse, here in Vegas, with all meatheads walking around this city. I hated it so much that it actually made me not wish to workout.

Can't say enough about working out at home. If you have a decent size space, and you can spend a few hundred dollars on some dumbbells, you can honestly do anything you need to right at home. All these machines are just simply not necessary, unless you are planning on training for the Mr Olympia contest or something. Using your own body weight is even enough, if you just do pushups and pullups and situps.

P90X is great for home workouts, as well as a workout which was featured in Men's Health recently, called the Spartacus workout, which was inspired by the show on Starz.

I workout whenever I choose, without having to drive anywhere, wearing whatever I want, smelling like whatever I want, and knowing that I am the only one touching any of my own equipment. And there are no gym fees.

Just my humble opinion.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
Any time someone does something to drop the weight - is it really necessary for any exercises, and if so, why? Grunters, heavy breathers, big sweaty guys who don't rerack and leave the weights in random places on the floor.

Throwing the bar down after cleans is actually safer than putting them down softly because it is much, much less strenuous on your back. You are tired from your workout, and, especially if you are doing a lot of weight, you are not going to be thinking about having good form when you set them down, but rather you are going to want the bar out of your hands, so the natural reaction will be to simply bend down and drop it that way. That is going to absolutely kill your back. So instead, you finish your last rep, and you just throw it down.

People that are overzealous with their grunting can be annoying too, but again, if a guy is working his ass off, I don't mind it as much - if anything, I can find that somewhat motivating. If they are like screaming or make some crazy indigenous sounds after they are done with their workout? Completely unnecessary.

Leaving weights everywhere too is a pain in the ass. Seriously, you got them out, you can put them back.