SoxAce
Members
-
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Currently
Viewing Forum: Pale Hose Talk
Everything posted by SoxAce
-
The Jim Thome Saga Ends
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 11:59 PM) I thought you were arguing that Jones/Kotsay could be a good platoon because last year Jones hit RH better than LH and Kotsay hit LH better than RH. I was pointing out that last year's numbers go against the career numbers for both of them. Not arguing at all. This is more or less me trying to be optimistic about this whole thing. (like I said earlier, even with .330 OBP prior to 2008, Pierre hitting leadoff just to take a jab ) Ozzie wanted this lineup, we'll see if it works. A strict platoon could be right if Ozzie does it.. right. It'll be nice what badge said to give a few guys a day(s) off from playing the field.
-
The Jim Thome Saga Ends
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 11:52 PM) I know Jones had some solid numbers against RH last year, but his career numbers show that he favors hitting against LHP (.859) rather than RHP (.815). Kotsay has historically hit RHP (.758) better than LHP (.726). Kotsay should only play when he relieves Konerko. Obviously your pretty much reiterated what I (and ptatc) just said. And obviously I agree with you being a Thome backer. Not sure where you are going with this, or if this is just another "make a point cause I want to" moment.
-
The Jim Thome Saga Ends
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 11:38 PM) Look, I really like Jones. I think he will flourish here. But come on now. This offense is nowhere near talented enough to preclude the addition of Jim Thome at $2M. I'm going by what Dr. ptatc () said which I never really looked into. It was just one year, but both have had better history versus a pitcher with whatever hand they pitch with. I was in the Thome/N. Johnson/etc.. camp for quite sometime. But I'm trying to be optimistic here as it's already hard enough to have to watch Juan Pierre's .330 OBP (prior to 2008) hit leadoff for us everyday. QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 08:51 PM) Last year jones had an OBP of 367 and more walks than K's against LHP and Kotsay had an OBP of 347 and 15/17 ratio of bb/k. They aren't going to hit for power like Thome but if Ozzie goes with a strict platoon, these two should get on base at a good clip. This should be an interesting situation and make this even more fun towatch during the season.
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
Great win tonight. Derrick Rose you sexy SOB!
-
The Jim Thome Saga Ends
Ugh... I thought when we all heard about this months ago that it was more or less a bluff by KW. (and A.J. I was hoping you wouldn't have posted Jim's crap on here, but hey, I don't mind alittle fuel to the fire) A few guys in our lineup better have very good to career years. If Ozzie sticks to a STRICT platoon of Kotsay and Jones with LH/RH pitchers and if alot of guys hit well, it won't be THAT bad of an offense. Probably not top 10 in the league, but average to serviceable. With our pitching staff, that is good enough.
-
Highest Career/Season Earnings Totals
God I hate Mike Hampton. Easiest 124.5 mil you can ever make.
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:32 PM) Let's hope the Noah injury doesn't become something more serious. Both he and Taj Gibson are battling with Plantar fasciitis, not to mention the shoulder injury with Noah as well. Dude is just banged up. BTW, that Flu bug that's been around the Bulls locker room... Derrick Rose now officially has it. And I changed my avatar. (Slayer will come back when ST hits)
-
Soxfest 2010
Ya.. don't have a facebook... BOOOOOOO.
-
The Jim Thome Saga Ends
QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 11:38 PM) Vizquel's only value is his defense, his offense is Yuniesky Betancourt bad. You are pretty much right, but I'll give Vizquel this.. He is good in the clutch, the basepaths and can bunt. Pretty much what I'm saying is he better be doing alot of bunting this season, but he will deliver the big hit late.
-
The Jim Thome Saga Ends
The thing that makes it even more dumb, is not even about their offense as a DH. Vizquel is still very good defensively. You can't field when you are the DH in the lineup. Andruw Jones is still good in RF (serviceable in CF) You can't do that when you DH. Kotsay is very solid at 1B (meh to blah.. at the OF spots) you get the point. I would love this if say we got a solid LF/RF and Quentin was mainly the rotating DH guy who plays the field spelling guys. Or even Konerko in the infield if we got a very solid 1B (I was clamoring for N. Johnson all winter and it sucks that we missed on him) and you can rotate one of those guys spelling the other, just for their bat. But that is not the case.
-
Soxfest 2010
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 10:52 PM) I actually really like what Freddy brings. I think it's very clear that he has really learned since his stuff deteriorated on him, and he has a very solid mental makeup and attitude. No doubt he was very solid in his short stint with us last year, and think he'll be very solid at the 5th spot. Hmmm... well that could be good and scary. That means either he's pitching his ass off and having a career year (or went back to his early Seattle/2005 days) or we are really in trouble/couple other guys had sub par years.
-
Soxfest 2010
He better pitch as good as he talks (and sweats). Hudson might be the one facing the Cubs (and saying f*** the Cubs) in interleague play middle of the season.
-
Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 10:27 PM) The Saints may depend on turnovers to win games, but they got lucky today. I have to agree with this as well. Noone really won that argument from earlier in this thread. I still think the Vikings are better myself, but the Saints are in the Super Bowl so it is what it is. Carl is still stubborn though.
-
Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 10:19 PM) Nothing will ever make TRU's arguments wrong. Ever. Pretty much sums it up, and I love Carl. (just too damn stubborn)
-
Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread
QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 08:18 PM) Bush playing alot better these playoffs then I thought he would. Kardasian's got a nice ass he's taping once again.
-
Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread
God I hope the Saints win this game. As much as I love Adrian Peterson, he's just about the only guy I like on the Vikings.
-
i am drunk
QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 04:33 AM) I think i need to start a thread in which i update daily all the wacky threads from the past that the guests browse at this time of night. The s*** they look at sometimes i tell you... Believe me A.J. I know...
-
Who do you have the highest expectations for?
Mark Teahan for me personally. I wanna see if he finds it playing half his games at the cell. Rios and Quentin are good choices as well.
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
Nobody was even saying Kobe will be better. But you can't deny the fact that Kobe will be the closest we will probably ever see, and the fact remains his "closeness" is still MILES away from Jordan as a player, which is more attributed to how good Jordan was. That's what Steve and myself (and even MHizzle) are saying. As far as SG.. he will probably be second best, but he still won't be as good (as far as overall player) as Wilt, Magic, etc.
-
NBA Slam Dunk Idea
QUOTE (SockMe @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 03:07 PM) I always watch but its never that good. There is always one dunk that stands out but thats it. Put LeBron, Kobe, Vince and Shannon Brown in. That would be a great one. Change Shannon Brown to Dwight Howard and I agree. (and yes I know Shannon is a good dunker)
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 10:05 PM) Winning on the road versus decent Western Conference teams? Who is this team? I will continue to watch them (mainly cause of Rose) but they got to prove more than that. They win versus good teams, then wind up sucking against the crappy teams. Hopefully they get more consistent.
-
Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 10:05 PM) Way to seize the day Antti... Huet wasn't much better, though he looked alot better than Niemi tonight. Sedins are having a crazy year.
-
The Jim Thome Saga Ends
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 04:27 PM) If he decides its best to listen to Ozzie, and Ozzie is blatantly wrong, then it's KW who takes the blame there. That's where you and I really disagree at. Instead of writing a 3 paragraph essay on it, I'll just leave it at that. This makes me laugh..
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 12:38 PM) ...except Championships. LBJ needs to show me more of a killer instinct. More-so the killer instinct definitely. Kobe is just an assassin. LeBron most of the time would rather look for the open man than take the last shot himself (though he's been alittle better at taking them the last couple years than prior) not to mention he (Kobe) is much more professional with is why I respect him more. (doesn't show up anyone other than his game/30 points a night) Kobe is the closest thing to MJ that any of us will ever see and probably ever will. LeBron is a modern day Magic Johnson 2.0 (course bigger and stronger) QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 01:50 PM) It was nice, but I wouldn't say it was that great. I've seen Rose do better. No kidding. The one he had in high school (Simeon) against my high school (Washington) when he gave that one dude (forgot his name) a facial from the CPS championship was still crazy (I'm not even counting that dunk against that white dude on his mixtape on youtube which was just ungodly) I would say however that was the best pro dunk facial he's had so far.
-
The Jim Thome Saga Ends
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 04:09 PM) Really, if they go with this and they wind up missing the playoffs with the #12 offense in the AL, they both ought to go. They're sticking their necks out on what looks like an obvious mistake, and if it winds up being a mistake, well, there's little excuse. Ozzie goes a hell of a lot faster than KW in my mind. Just feel that Ozzie was way more involved with personel decisions this year as usual. This is not KW's usual "creative" offseason other than the Teahan acquisition which IMO... saves him this year if we suck again. I hope our pitching all around pitches well (some guys hopefully have career years I.E. 2005) cause we might be in alot of 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 ball games.