Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

SoxAce

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by SoxAce

  1. QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 10:32 PM) Oh, well since the UZR says so, it must be true. Do you guys even know how UZR, RF, and defensive stats of the like are even measured? You realize none of them accurately measure the speed of the ball off the bat (actually they don't even try to) or the defensive positioning prior to the pitch? These statistics should be looked at and considered, but if you're going to use them as your sole proof of a defensive player's worth, you're going to be misguided much of the time. Companies like Stats Inc. are working on a system using cameras and computers (not people watching on monitors) to precisely measure stuff like this. Baseball has been moving forward with collecting data from this software from Sportsvision that does basically the same thing. Eventually it will be used in every ballpark, and after it is perfected and utilized, we'll have a considerably more accurate measure of defensive abilities. For the time being, UZR is flawed and it's a mistake to use it as a bible of some kind. It should be considered but shouldn't be everything. (Oh, and a happy holiday to everyone.) Alright since the other guys aren't on from who you quoted I'll speak for me. Yes alot of us already know about UZR's flaws and other aspects (alot of posters bring the Fielding Bible to the equation which is probably the best measure of defense measure out there) and other ares as well (there are some insane symmetric fans on this board), not just UZR. Hell there was a couple of threads a few months back on it before you registered here. I've been on a few boards from the old days way back when, and this is by far the smartest posters I've ever come across. Guys like qwerty, Kalapse, Cheat (when he was here) etc.. are just outstanding posters and not to mention guys like witesoxfn, fathom, iamshack, DickAllen, ptatc, Rowand44, bmags, chw42, lostfan, scenario, Ozzie Ball etc.. etc.. I mean the list goes on and on, on this board. Alot of these guys you'll realize if you haven't already will definitely bring up interesting post, and at times.. can be very stubborn. You just fit the list already ranger, but at times I notice (and I believe a poster brought this up) is at times, when a poster quotes you, and they are right, or bring up an interesting question/answer/post/whatever, you play the "I am always right or there's always a point with me" card (you might not mean to, or might not necessarily think so) and you'll find out that'll get old very quick here. (some posters still do it here) Now me personally, I'm not big on UZR, but I won't completely ignore it as well. I'll just say I've learned alot from some of these guys and alot of people I didn't mention (the "etc.." guys) on this board, and not just in baseball.
  2. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 09:41 PM) Yeah, some stuff got deleted. Yeah.. I hate you.
  3. SoxAce replied to Rowand44's topic in SLaM
    The usual old people stuff. Socks Pants Shirts Shoes Income this year was much worse (esp. for me) than usual. I got cash as well.. But then I realize that is going straight to bills..
  4. Thought I'd stop by here before a healthy grub calls my name later. Merry X-Mas to all the fine posters here.
  5. QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 08:51 PM) Jenks/Jenks Linebrink/Thorton Dotel/Putz Carrasco/Torres Richard/Linebrink Macdougal/Pena Hmmm... so I guess Thornton somehow died last year, but somehow is relevant this year eh?
  6. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 09:57 PM) Detroit is bleeding cash. They are in huge trouble. The Reds will be in the same situation next year unfortunately (hence the Joey Votto, etc.. rumors). It is gonna happen quite a bit of teams actually unless something (whether that is the economy or whatever) drastically changes.
  7. Ima go out on a crazy limb and say Kane is a lock for Team USA.
  8. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 06:23 PM) It appears Capps is going to blow off the Cubs for the Nationals. I thought everyone wants to play for the Cubs. Wow.. he had to choose between the two, and he's picking the horrid (though up and comming through the farm) franchise over the loveable losers. I don't think I've ever been a bigger Matt Capps fan. I gotta ask though... how much more was the Nats paying him over the Cubs.. if at all? NVM.. I found something..
  9. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 06:09 PM) We've done this for the last 4 or 5 years, no (save 2007)? Up and down all year until a strong push the last month. I really don't care about winning 45 games when we're a lock to get bounced in the first round by any of the conferences elites. Which is why 2010 class is so vital to this team's future success. I was hoping we would at least not suck this year to help make a case for the FA to come here, to help justify this franchise. (and not just the whole large market ordeal) This rarely, at all, happens in the NBA as far as legit superstars potentially moving in one offseason. (not those Elton Brand, Baron Davis, etc.. type players) Those earlier teams overachieved under Scott Skyles, which kind of spoiled us to a degree IMO.
  10. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 05:51 PM) I have no problem with those that want VDN gone. But it bothers me very much that it seems to be popular opinion that this would be a much better team with a different coach. There's no coach, past or present, that would take this particular team past the first round. Orlando, Cleveland, Boston and Atlanta. We're miles behind any of those 4 teams regardless of who's the coach. The one guy that should really be on the hotseat is John Paxson. But Jerry Reinsdorf is loyal to a fault. Paxson would have to quite before Jerry let him go. If the playoffs started today, we wouldn't even be in the playoffs, which is regressing from last season. I didn't expect this team to be a top team, even with the hot start we had against top teams early, but I didn't expect this team to be this bad either. Hell I thought we were a 6th or 7th type seed (progressing from last season) because of the horrid Eastern Conference. We can't even match the 8th spot as of right now and I know we are still a game back or something like that.
  11. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 05:24 PM) I was exaggerating a little. But I'm sure it's always in the back of his mind. I have to disagree with you about Beckham. He was a pretty safe bet from day 1. I thought the same thing about BA.. Two homers off King Felix, and I was hyping his ass to everyone.
  12. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 05:15 PM) He's probably forever spooked by all those 'can't-miss' guys we had at that time and looks to trade prospects the second they reach peak value. I don't think that he's "spooked" more or less that he knows who is worthy of the hype and who isn't. I'd probably believe you if he didn't keep Beckham as far as top spects go and guys like Richard, McCarthy, etc.. were pretty good for us at one time..
  13. QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 04:58 PM) Excluding the strike year, I consider the '84 Sox to be the most disappointing in my lifetime. We had almost all of the same tools in place plus Tom Seaver, but Greg Luzinski was done, Britt Burns was nearing the end of his career with that degenerative hip, LaMarr Hoyt's drug problem had caught up with him, Julio Cruz was no longer a prolific base-stealer, and Floyd Bannister had a below-average year. Not that we would've beaten the Tigers in the ALCS, but it would've been fun to watch them try. The '97 season was also massively disappointing on multiple levels, but Jamie Navarro, Danny Darwin, Doug Drabek, and Robin Ventura's injury tempered my expectations going into April. Hmmm... showing your age alittle bit WC?
  14. QUOTE (juddling @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 04:24 AM) I guess the Miss Gibraltar pagaent pulled someone from the audience to fill out the Final 6 this year Well...5 out of 6 ain't bad..... I was browsing the first few to be picky on what you meant by 5/6, then I saw the last woman and actually yelled "eeeek" real loud waking up my dogs..
  15. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 02:06 AM) Ya, whatever, nobody cares if you misspell someones name. Maybe I should wish he was dead, to see eye-to-eye with Steve on this one.
  16. One of my favorite posters and a very good friend here. Many things we've been through on this board, the chat, etc.. over the years. They grow up so fast... . Happy B-Day Mike. :cheers
  17. QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 12:20 AM) Unless Thome comes back. Well if I can stomach Konerko's constant GIDP in most rallies and station to station running (though he is at least a productive hitter) than I can gladly take Thome back too. A.J. gets a pass since he has a terrific baseball I.Q. and can surprise at times on the speed, cause of his terrific reads as a baserunner.
  18. QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 12:16 AM) LOL at "Rob Drake" Ah my bad.. "Rob Blake" geez Steve give me a break. And actually it was Dan Boyle who said that.
  19. It'll also feel good to have pretty much everyone in the lineup that can go from 1st to 3rd, or 2nd to home now. I like what we did eliminating the "station to station."
  20. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 12:05 AM) 47 shots to 14. Nabokov, have a night. No doubt that was a goalie win. Hell when Rob Drake, of the Sharks, says his own team got outplayed, (though they got the win) that is saying something.
  21. QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 11:50 PM) Teahen's known as the best baserunner in all of baseball. He is indeed outstanding.
  22. QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 11:52 PM) Ugly weather over the next few days. The ugly part reminds me of your face. Looooooooove youuuuuuuuuu.
  23. I guess now I'll just be watching how Rose progresses and how many monster games on the boards Noah has. Really good to see the battle he and David Lee were in all game, from the ex college teammates. And for those wondering who are "true" leader is.. Joakim Noah answered that (on and off the court) weeks ago. I'm also glad to hear that Rose is finally healthy, which is showing in his game. Luol Deng injured again? (though playing through it, though part of me thinks if Kobe wasn't play through his broken finger, we wouldn't be seeing Deng) I for one am shocked..
  24. QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 10:13 PM) Career year at age 25 after going 16-6 w/ 3.21 ERA the season before? I don't know why you would think that. Lester is filthy and an absolute stud. Pretty much sums it up. In fact... at times I think he is UNDERrated as a pitcher. Lots of common fans still don't really know how good he is, even as a Red Sox with all that media coverage. Other than his fight with cancer, I never hear his name being brought up as much as "Big game" Beckett, "Mr. Crafty" Wakefield, Dice-K (even the struggles) now Lackey, etc.. and he is probably their best pitcher. If it wasn't an emotional attachment, the fan base, money issues, etc. I would trade him straight up for Buehrle (Boston wouldn't go for it, I know) and not think twice.
  25. Happy B-Day fellas. :cheers I Chimpy.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.