Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
We were supposed to have sympathy for these people.
QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:25 PM) http://www.newyorkmetro.com/news/intelligencer/17161/?imw=Y What is this guy? He's a f***ing leech is what he is and he's ohhhh so typical of the vermin who took advantage of the government during the post-Katrina period. People like this should be tossed in the slam for a long ass time and forced to make restitution to the government for perpetrating this fraud. You want to know why I don't have any sympathy for Katrina evacuees? This is exhibit A. You people called me racist for pointing out the differences between how the whites and blacks reacted to this crisis but they simply cannot be ignored. The white residents of N.O. have largely returned. They are setting up civic organizations, rebuilding ruined homes and getting back on their collective feet. The black residents, who have returned in much smaller numbers in percentage terms, are too busy squabbling with the city over whether to demolish homes that sit covered with crud in the middle of the street to be concerned with rebuilding. Those that haven't returned are like my buddy here living in NY. They are living in far flung cities, leeching off FEMA money and in the case of Houston, driving the crime rate into the stratosphere. Dude, you sourced one black person who happens to be a deadbeat, so what. If you can find a pattern, we'll talk.
-
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KNIGHTNI AND FOUROFAKIND!
NI Happy Birthday to Knight and FourofaKind
-
CA may try to kill Electoral College
QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 04:37 PM) Wait... your argument in favor of state's rights is that the Federal government should control how State's assign their electoral votes?! So it should be the Federal Government's job to make sure state's rights are maintained by forcing them into a voting scheme they disapprove of? I don't mean to offend you, but the "State's Rights" argument actually supports California's Popular vote plan more than it attacks it. Effectively, you are taking the power OUT of local government and placing it with the Feds. Your post actually advances a strong Federally Controlled electoral college while abrogating the rights of each state to determine the course of its own voting procedure. There is NOTHING unconsitutional about california's proposal. It just strikes me that if you are a "State's Rights" guy, then you ought to permit each state to assign its electoral votes as it sees fit... The purpose of Federalism is to allow each state to govern itself based on the will of its citizens. States presently everything from speed limits to marriage laws; I don't see any reason why electoral voting should be different. Doesn't a "State's Rights" advocate trust the local citizenry to govern themselves? Most of that comes out of my belief in the great compromise ensuring that the small states rights get predicted.
-
Indianapolis lands Big Ten tourney
QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 03:31 PM) Conseco is right in the middle of downtown. But then again, everything in Indy is "close" to each other compared to Chicago. I've been to all the arenas in Indy multiple times. Getting in and out of downtown Indy is just as hard, if not harder than getting out of the UC. With all of the one way streets and crap like that, I don't know that it is any easier. And most importantly, the Big Ten is leaving a lot of revenue on the table, a lot of fans at home, and taking away from the experiences of the fans lucky enough to go, by picking a much smaller venue in a much smaller town.
-
Indianapolis lands Big Ten tourney
QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 03:24 PM) I wish I could find the article, but I just remember them saying it's much easier on the team/players as far as hotels and traveling too. Because the UC is in the middle of nowhere as far as Chicago goes. The Kennedy is a mile and a half away, and the Ike is less than a mile away?!?!? Conseco is just as far off of the interstates as the UC. As for hotels, downtown Chicago is about 2-3 miles away depending on if you are talking about Michigan Abe or the west loop.
-
Jeff Nelson to DL
QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 03:13 PM) his slider is nothing like it used to be. Good Riddance. And he was scared to throw his fastball at all. I know it was only a few appearences, but he looked mediocre at best.
-
Indianapolis lands Big Ten tourney
QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 03:09 PM) I remember when this originally was being announced that they were voting on a set site that a majority of the B10 coaches like Indy over Chicago. Ah, so the vote was the coaches, and not the fans. Now it makes sense. Brilliant. The Big Ten just turned down about potentially 5000 more fans per session, along with higher ticket prices because the coaches like Indianapolis better. It would have been one thing if they were playing this in the Dome to get more fans into the games, but moving to a much smaller arena is just dumb.
-
Indianapolis lands Big Ten tourney
What exactly did Indianapolis have to offer? Their arena has much less capacity, they have less to do, less hotel space, less transportation, and less infrastructure? This makes zero sense.
-
Multiple arrests in foiled Canadian terror plot
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 01:58 PM) I still don't see what you are getting at. Did calls between these Canadians and some US counterparts take place? Were people in the US known terrorists or something? I don't see the connection. I agree with your point, I just don't see what it has to do with this. Yes and Yes. They placed calls to terror suspects who were arrested within the US.
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 01:40 PM) I ran cross country in high school. And ran off and on throughout my 20s, including a marathon. I took it up again in my 30s and found that my body revolted on me. My knees kept getting sore, I had some issues with my ankles. It took a while for me to realize that the same routine I did in my late teens/20s doesnt work now. I kept in good shape, but it still doesnt help when you cross that damn 30 threshold. Now I am finally at a good pace and distance where I feel real good running. It took a while, and a lot of time in the hot tub, but its worth it. As you know when you get back into running, and get used to that routine its a great feeling. I started running again nightly because of being diagnosed with type II diabetes. I want to be around for my son when I am older. What got you into it again. Yeah, that is exactly the kind of stuff that I wanted to avoid. I know with just playing softball or basketball I get pains I never used to get. I basically used to never stretch or warmup and could go for hours back in the day, today I do that crap, I pay for it. To tell you the truth I have been wanting to pick up running again, just for another competitive outlet, but definately to get into a little better shape. Even after gaining the 40 pounds it wasn't too bad for me, as in college I was 5'9" and only 120 pounds, so I don't even want to lose all of the weight, just a bit of it. Mostly I would like to get back to roadracing and try to run the LaSalle Marathon once.
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 01:35 PM) Trying to lose the weight from the pregnancy? I've been 6 months pregnant for about 3 years now
-
Multiple arrests in foiled Canadian terror plot
And an interesting footnote to this story... There of course is an article with the Imam talking about how they teach non-violence. http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/05/D8I22IHO0.html
-
Grady's Ladies Founder Murdered
Wow, how incredibly sad. RIP
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 12:20 PM) Make sure you stretch before and after you run. It makes a huge difference in recovery after a run. If you are going to do this more frequently drink lots of water. Good luck with your running. Thanks for the advice... I did run years ago, back about 40 pounds and 10 years ago I was a Cross Country runner in college (5miles/8K) and then a pretty decent hurdler, sprinter, triple jumper in track. I definately felt like I got go a lot more than I did, I just wasn't sure how my body would respond anymore, as its been a LONG time.
-
CA may try to kill Electoral College
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 11:09 AM) And the states SHOULDN'T be involved, as entities, in a national election. The people, as individuals, should. Mind you, I am usually on the states rights side in federalism discussions. But this is a national election, with each person in the country voting, and all their votes should carry equal sway. Therefore, the electoral college is an unneeded biasing factor. Why do we bother with state borders and governments then? We are the United STATES of America after all. Historically the only reason some states joined the union was because of the protections afforded the states under our consititution, and the way elections and representations were decided was a huge one. If we are going to start ridding ourselves of states rights, we might as well just get rid of the borders and governments and balance out the inequities that result because of them.
-
Senate planning votes on hot-button issues
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 11:22 AM) When you can bring together Kap, Northside, Iggy, and Balta all on the same side...wow. \ Count me in too. At best, from a purely constitutional point of view, this is an issue for the states to decide. At worst this is completely none of any governments business. I would personally say that because governments are already in the business of marriage by governing things such as wedding licenses, divorces etc, that it is definately a state's issue. Personally, as a biblethumping conservative, I still see judge not lest yee be judged in the bible. In other words no matter what I think about it, it is none of my business.
-
White Sox Playoff Watch 2006:
You sure you want to open this can of worms today?
-
Multiple arrests in foiled Canadian terror plot
17 arrested, 3 tons of bomb making material found How safe is our northern border? More arrests are expected Canadian terror group had contacts with suspects arrested in US
-
NBA Finals Poll: Heat vs. Mavs
I definately want to see Dallas win it all. I have no interest in seeing Shaq and Riley win another to bad their egos.
-
2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread
From ESPN.com
-
The Official 6-6-6 thread
PARTY IN HELL!!! So does the numerology of June 6, 2006 bug anyone else or will it be a day like any other day for people?
-
Backup Outfielders and now Relievers
QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 01:24 PM) I have to admit my opinion on Ozuna has changed some. I still think the guy is a pretty poor fielder, but whe he comes into a game he has such enthusiasm and provides a spark. We need that. Which makes him a perfect fill in and utility player. In CF? God no, please.
-
2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread
QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 08:48 AM) Now lets see Coop and Walker do some magic. Outside of Brian Anderson and Juan Uribe (who hasn't listened much at all, just reading the quotes this year, and years past) the hitters are doing fine. I can even excuse Anderson as a rookie who is still working along the learning curve. The pitching on the other hand has been just disappointing. I almost wonder if the lack of offense seemed to force the pitching to be extra fine last year, and with the team scoring like it has this year, if that edge that the pitching had is gone, at least for now?
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
I got out and ran for the first time in years yesterday. I only went a mile, but felt like I could do more pretty easily. I wanted to be smart and not kill myself the first time out, so I took it easy. I woke up today and didn't hurt so I am pretty happy about that.
-
My Day At the Sox Game Yesterday!
Stories like these are why I love the game of baseball. I remember situations and stories like this from my own childhood, and can't wait for my youngin to have her own memories like her dad, and her dad's dad, and his dad.