Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
The Positive Thread
I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance AND I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
-
2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread
QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 12:25 PM) Not sure if this has been posted : Awesome. I am glad to see Ozzie taking the Bull by the horns, and it really showed with the excellent bunt that Tads laid down on Sunday.
-
In house options to replace BA...
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 01:49 AM) So seriously, what the f*** does Greg Walker get paid for? For Uribe to ignore him?
-
Is it time for a 3rd party?
QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 05:24 AM) I know Kap will disgaree, but to fix this we need Dems to fix Dems and Reps to fix Reps. Not make excuses, but grab back their parties. Until then, we get what we deserve. Too many will vote for a douchbag from their party instead of a person of higher character from the other. And I believe we are better off with elected leaders of high character over politics. LOL. Who was the last "person of higher character" who made it onto a Presidential Election ballot for the two major parties? Maybe Bob Dole? Michael Dukakis? Jimmy Carter?
-
6/2/06: Rangers @ SOX
Early impression. Garland is working everything in, and has a lot of movement early. Hopefully this keeps up.
-
Corporate america held to hirer standards than Congress
http://georgereisman.com/blog/2006/05/sorr...n_28.html#links
-
Offense is not the problem
Thanks Mr Obvious, you're a lifesaver!
-
First maleamony... now this!!!
I just can't wait for the inevitable jumping of Southpaw outside of the employee gate by Rhubarb while strung out on meth when he hits bottom. It will be the perfect sequal to the the Ligue stories I tell ya.
-
Boston
I know I can see it on a clear day across Lake Michigan from Michigan City, and that is about 30-35 miles. To me I love the skyline of a city, as it really tells a tale about the town. Chicagos skyline is so massive and strong, it gives you a feeling of the size of the city.
-
Hangar18's Chicago NewsMedia Watch Thread
QUOTE(henry wiggins @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 01:39 PM) I'm female, 40-never-mind, and spend my work life among futures traders, but in my real life I'm pretty sane. Nice board here. Gotta love those traders Welcome to Soxtalk
-
Hangar18's Chicago NewsMedia Watch Thread
QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 11:20 AM) Regulars vs. The Others. Oh no! Did that Dharma Initative take over? And who is this Henry fellow? Is he Henry Gale? Is he the leader of the Others? What is the purpose for th Hatch? Can we send Jon Garland there? Perhaps he can push the button the rest of the year. I don't care who you are, that's just funny.
-
Contreras's turn
Contreras deserved the loss as much as anyone did in yesterday's game. The pen was bad, but so was Jose. If it wasn't for Jermaine Dye, the pen would have never had the chance to blow the game in the first place.
-
7 killed in Indianapolis
WTF is wrong with people???? for everyone touched by this...
-
Here comes Liriano...
QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:59 PM) Umm you have heard of Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez right? They were both UNDRAFTED out of Panama and Venezuela and we developed them into pretty good players. They were undrafted for a good reason... They couldn't be drafted. The countries they are from are not included in the MLB draft.
-
Hangar18's Chicago NewsMedia Watch Thread
QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:47 PM) So the Sox grandmistake of Sportsvision coupled with the Cubs being on free TV at a time when the majority of the country didn't have anything to do with it? I still want to see some hard numbers relating to media coverage throughout these eras. Without them there is no facts here at all. It is a completely onesided arguement with incomplete facts. You can't tell me how much coverage the teams get today, leave out how much coverage they got during these formative years, and then draw a conclustion based on that. Also I would be curious to see how much coverage has changed relative to attendance at the ballparks with the changes in the teams records. IE how much did Cubs coverage go up in 2003 relative to 2002, or how much did the Sox coverage go up in 2006 as compared to 2005, and how does it compare to how much attendance has gone up from opening day in 2005 until today? I guess what I am saying is a set up numbers by itself is well, a set of numbers. I am an economist at heart. I analyse trends, not a single set of numbers. Give me changes in totals as compared to the different factors that would affect attendance, and relative to that, how much coverage a team should receive. Granted if your numbers just began in the last few seasons your data set is going to be very incomplete, but at least we can gather some information from the trends in the shortterm. Any conclusions you have reached without actual data to back them up on the times prior to your body of work are pure speculation, and pretty much worthless for a fact based arguement. QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:03 PM) Wow. Now that I didnt know. I had separate records for that year, and I kind of knew that to be the case (every dang time I opened the paper, they were front page headlines) 03 and 04 are the years that stand out to me as well. In 03, the northside team surprised everyone and made the playoffs, and the Media here went HOG WILD writing as many stories as they legally could. In 04, the stories for the northside team were Unprecedentedly high, and that was based on them "winning" in 03. Did the SOX get HOG WILD coverage in 05 when they surprised everyone ? NO. The media told us "lets wait and see" OR "theyre not for real" and continued to give the other team more coverage. Did the SOX get the Unprecedentedly high coverage for actually WINNING the World Series in 05?? NO. The records above bear this out. So in other words, the media here (and only here, this isnt happening in any other city) cares only about the northside team, World Series be damned. Its a crying shame, and despicable this team isnt treated better. OK, so I am still curious to see your research for my first question (mainly from the Trib, but any other sources you have), and now I have another question. What is the rest of the Chicago's role in the alleged media bias, and what would be their motivation? Wouldn't it stand to reason if there were so many Sox fans, and the Tribco was catering exclusively to them, that the rest of the media outlets would recognize the profit potential to be exploited from the underserved White Sox fans and jump on their bandwagon? What reason would the Chicago Sun Times for example have to keep a pro-Cubs bias?
-
Spelling Bee
QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 07:42 AM) Gee, can kids be successful without pushy parents and becomming social nerds? Believe it or not but some kids enjoy intellectual challenges. Or at least that is the excuse some of us use....
-
In house options to replace BA...
QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 07:34 AM) HAWK: "Suck 'em up Mike!" SOXTALK: "Damn he sucks, my gramma has a better arm than that." "Rowand would have had that easily, I wish we still had him" "He's not that bad, I don't know why everyone is picking on him, the scouting report saids he has good range, and a plus arm" "What kind of moron are you? Any idiot can see that he can't throw to save his life" "KW needs to get a CF NOW!!!" "This team is HORRIBLE, we have to get our heads out of our asses NOW!!!" "Why not move Josh Fields to CF, or call up Jerry Owens?" "Lets trade for Torii Hunter or Darrin Erstad"
-
Can we please put the Crede banner back on top?
My sig hasn't changed in over a year, so I went with the vintage Rally Crede Av.
-
NYC, Washington lose terror funds
Brilliant. Now we have politics introduced into terror funding... Kinda makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Hopefully Michigan City at least got something to protect the world-reknowed William J Clinton Bandstand from the people who hate our freedoms.
-
CA may try to kill Electoral College
They are trying to start a domino effect of other states dropping the electoral college, and at the sametime trying to get more canditates not to take Cali for granted during the election cycle.
-
In house options to replace BA...
I can play CF
-
Bullpen Armageddon White Sox Loser
PLUSHIE PATROL!!!!
-
Where is the heart???
QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:51 PM) I called someone would make this thread in chat about 2 hours ago. Do I win anything? Meh, it was a gimmie. If you could have named the thread starter, I would have been more impressed.
-
Where is the heart???
Or coming back from deficits multiple times in the same game? Does that qualify as heart? QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:44 PM) Ok, I disagreed with the Bullpen thread being a "jump off the bridge" type dealy but his one fits the description. Yeah, I definately think this is a step up, or over the ledge as the case might be...
-
Bullpen Armageddon White Sox Loser
QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:38 PM) McCarthy isn't coming around at all. He's an awful reliever. Who gets used once every week to 10 days after never having came out of the pen in his life.... great way to develop a reliever...