Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
A new spin on the "myth" of Abramoffs Democrats
The NYT issued a correction on the original statistics, but then of course gave their own spin on that correction. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/tsc.html?URI...Q5EQ3BQ20xiQ51m
-
American Idol Predictions
QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 10:28 AM) I watched last night for a change and I do agree that she was a bit loopy. Although, I did think the pizza & salad comment was ignorant and no doubt came from Simon. I have no doubt he was messing with her, but still, why would you be repeating that stuff?
-
American Idol Predictions
QUOTE(samclemens @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 09:45 AM) i dont know about that, but with all the plastic in her body, should she ever be in a shipwreck, she wont have to worry about sinking. My prediction: the winner is going to be a white girl who slobs enough knob to get the prize. just like kelly and that country singer. Classy. Why don't you run along and play somewhere else?
-
American Idol Predictions
QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 09:37 AM) She has Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. The medications that she takes actually make her appear 'drunk'. She has had numerous surgeries because of it. From what I have read of it, it's a quite painful condition. Maybe that's it. Some of the stuff she was saying last night didn't make any sense at all. Its normal when she does the whole praising everyone crap and getting mad at Simon, but some of the stuff that was coming out of her mouth last night was just weird.
-
Australian PM Slams America's "Evil" Guns
QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 10:18 AM) ... about a nation that all but systematically eliminated a race. Who us or Austrailia?
-
the power couple
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 09:58 AM) Isn't it? The amount of inbreeding regarding all sides on this deal blows my mind. If it hasn't been said already... "Its not what you know... Its who you know." Or to make it a 21st century version, "Its who you pay".
-
the power couple
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 09:35 AM) Actually, Bill Clinton publicly opposes the deal. Are you serious? Holy s*** is that funny
-
Arizona @ Sox - 3/2 Game Thread
QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 2, 2006 -> 09:25 PM) Jim, TQ, if either of you guys are there, please, please post anything that merits some sort of mentioning. With every spring training that passes, I realize more and more I appreciate what our Soxtalk "Insiders" have to say far more than the beat or national reporters. You guys do a grade-a job and I would consider your baseball prowess to be invaluable. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. ^^^ I'll second that post. Don't let the morons ruin it for the rest of us.
-
July 4th game for uk fans
I would bet on the game being sold out, maybe quickly by the way tickets are selling this year.
-
the power couple
Turns out not only was Bill Clinton advising Dubai on how to get the ports deal approved, but also he was trying to get one of his old buddies hired on to handle the PR aspect of things, who just happens to currently be employed by Senator Clinton through his consulting firm. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...nationworld-hed So that makes 3 Presidents that have now come out publically in favor of this deal, from all sides of the spectrum.
-
American Idol Predictions
QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 07:50 AM) Pretty unsurprising cast-offs. Bottom 3 girls: Heather, Kinnik, Brenna (Kinnik stays) Bottom 3 boys: Kevin, Sinatra kid, and Sway (Kevin stays) I think the real question still remains: when do we get to vote Paula off? No joke on at counts. America was pretty spot on with who left, and I think Paula was completely drunk last night. That's the only explanation that makes any real sense to me.
-
FYI-Good program chance on Islam
Tonight and tomorrow on History Channel they are doing one hour each on Decoding the Past on the Koran. I am going to tape it and watch it this weekend. It will be interesting to get a little more indepth than the total lack of info we as Americans generally have about Islams holy book. I would definately recommend watching.
-
Bush briefed on Levee breaches before Katrina Hit
Oops.
-
Glitch in certain browsers
It looks like we had a corruption somewhere in the data base... It seems to be fixed, but I am waiting for official cofirmation from Kap or Jason. If it goes back down, you know why...
-
American Idol Predictions
The guys for the most part were pretty disappointing. It was hard to pick just two to get voted off.
-
Rowand and the Ring Ceremony
QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 11:48 AM) Well the invite better be extended anyway. He's the best player ever to put on the uniform. He also better be getting a statue if guys like Fisk got one. It won't be a matter of the Sox not wanting to recognize Frank. It will be matter of Frank refusing to participate, which he basically already stated.
-
Rowand and the Ring Ceremony
QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 11:39 AM) If that's the case, Frank better be invited as well. Frank won't attend. He is already on record as saying that he wouldn't have thrown out the first pitch in the WS, there is no reason to believe he would pick up his ring in front of everyone either.
-
In like a Lion... March 06 Quotes of the Month
An excellent post from Addison that speaks for itself. QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 09:40 PM) The Paul Konerko seventh-inning Grand Slam in Game Two of the 2005 World Series will go down as my favorite moment in White Sox history. Actually in attendance, the place was just waiting to explode, and, at that very moment, Paulie connects on a first-ball fastball. Being able to enjoy that expierence with my old man, someone who has lived and died with this ballclub, someone who passed his passion for his White Sox on to his oldest son, and someone who needed to break out of an in-person post-season losing streak with his belov'ed Sox, is just indescribable. We were just saying, "hey, how about Paulie comes through and hits a grand frickin' slam," and mid-sentence, Paulie connects. The ball kept carrying, carrying, carrying...the outfielder went back, back, back...and even when that ball landed in the left-field stands, it took a couple moments to realize what exactly just happened. We just looked each other and lost our minds; it was at that very moment that I knew that team was destined to win, not just for themselves, not just for the critcs, but, for all the fans that have been waiting their entire lives for this best-of-seven. An image frozen in time, an absolute flash-bulb memory, something I'll never forget for as long as I live...seeing our Paulie hit a go-ahead Grand Slam in the World Series with my old man on the Southside of Chicago, rocking out to the "Go Go White Sox" montage and AC/DC's Thunderstuck moments later... I just got the chills.
-
Americans indeed are idiots
Before clicking on the link, how many of you can name the 5 tentants of the first amendment. Nationwide it is one in one THOUSAND. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4761294.stm
-
A Google Earth/U.S. Cellular Field Experiment
I remember reading a while back the Sox pitchers didn't believe the dimensions at Camden so they measured to the LF wall by hand and came up with something like 296 feet.
-
Guillen tells Frank to be quiet and play
For Ozzie, this is staying out of it...
-
Films
Watched the last hour of the Untouchables yesterday and realized all over again how much I absolutely loved that movie. Its so easy to distracted by how good the movie is and miss all of the great Chicago architecture and buildings that they shoot in.
-
Sox etiquette
In general I subscribe to hockey etiquette rules because they just work well. Wait until a desernable pause in play so that you don't disturb the viewing pleasure of the fans around you. Wait until their is a switch in batters and/or innings before making anyone get out of their seat. Now as for the much more heated when to stand and cheer arguements. I always side with the people who want to get cheers going. I totally believe in the whole lets get the crowd and team fired up stuff. If the team looks flat and needs a boost, or if you realize this could be a critical junction in the game, by all means stand and cheer. I hate the people who complain about people wanting to stand and cheer at a professional sporting event. This isn't the damned opera or symphony we are talking about where something subtle could be missed by the extra noise. This is baseball we are talking about. I paid a lot of money to enjoy this, and if I think we as a crowd can help the team, or hurt the other team, then I am damned well going to do it. If you want to sit on your hands, feel free. This isn't ain't the subway, this ain't the opera, and when its time to get the team going, its time to get the team going.
-
Cheney Persuaded to Retire After Mid-Terms
even if by some miracle of God this were true... The first crack at VP would come from an internal canditate. If we have learned nothing about the Bush admin, they always promote from within. That being said, I would bet Condi Rice would be their choice. Bush gets to make his history, and he puts in someone who is on the same page as him. win-win.
-
American Idol Predictions
I missed the first half of the show, but judging by the quick replays the only one who struck me as "bad" was Heather, which when you only see the replays is saying something.