Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Grandstand
They do have a nice internet site if you don't need it right away...
-
Crosby left off of team Canada
For anyone who didn't see it, Crosby's response to not being picked was mature beyond his years. He handled himself with class, and Jeremy Roenick might want to take some notes from him...
-
Cavaliers @ bulls 7:00 pm... on tnt.
Its kinda ironic the Bulls could end up with the top pick in the draft with Oden coming out of HS, who would have been the top pick... Now he has to go to college for a year, and they will most likely miss out him anyway.
-
The lastest on Garland
QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:15 PM) I love that some retard regurgitating on a keyboard got 8 responses and my two solidly cited quotes from reputable newspapers are ignored. Your thread on the Bat Mitzva did really well though
-
Rumor: 4-Way Garland Trade
Not unless guys Pie, Paplebon etc were involved as well.
-
Defiant Bush admits breaking law
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 02:19 PM) US News: I'm not quite sure why that would be illegal, except for maybe the part about going onto people's property. The government isn't allowed to monitor radation levels without a warrant? How do they monitor things like pollution, radon, smog etc without warrents???
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 02:15 PM) Boy George, I think he's got it! Not bad, but bonus points would have been awarded for Bi George...
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 11:48 AM) You are a brave man for being able to admit that. [/cues up some Culture Club on his iPod.] And after the toilet paper joke, yes I REALLY want to hurt you
-
Want to be a hero?
The Chicago post office still has about 5000 letters to Santa that have gone without someone to fill their wishes. Many of these kids are asking for the basics such as food and winter clothing. If you have the ability, go downtown and make a kid's Christmas a memorable one. Keep in mind that local charity has actally been down this year, because of people giving so much to the efforts after Katrina, the Tsunami, and the quake in Pakistan... Many people don't have anything left to give. http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/1134.php
-
Happy Festivus! December 23rd
QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:18 AM) um........that's all you Tex......
-
Official Blackhawks Thread
Yeah I can't understand when all of the rules were towards opening up the game, they signed grinder type players instead of skill players. Really dense IMO.
-
Wal-Mart in the crosshairs
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:51 AM) You know, I'm not sure that's totally true...yes there were political reasons involved, but it's not that we wouldn't let them, it's that enough of our politicians raised a stink over the offer for Unocal that CNOOC decided to drop their bid. We don't know if it would have passed legal or political tests had it really gone forward. It was later revealed that a good hunk of the loan CNOOC was getting was basically from the Chinese government directly. The pols would have never let it fly, and that is why their bid wasn't seriously explored. They would not have let it happen.
-
Troop levels to be reduced in Iraq
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:46 AM) Are you sure about that 2k5? The impression I get from reading things is that the troop levels were boosted solely do provide the extra security forces needed to clamp down during the election, and the numbers are merely falling back to right where they were a few months ago (and to right where they fell after the election before that). According to what was said on WBBM this morning, this is beyond that. The troop level was going back to the 138,000 it was at, and now they are going to let it go closer to 130,000 by not deploying two brigades that had planned on going over, dropping from 17 to 15 brigades in Iraq.
-
ANOTHER football team in Chicago?
QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:35 AM) At least he's finally serious about getting the olympics here. I've been eying 2016 for years! (PS: THe olympics would probably pay for the stadium just by itself) If Cuba isn't the World baseball classic, we can kiss the olympics goodbye for decades.
-
Christmas plans
So what is everyone else doing for Christmas? For me the family gets packed up and takes the 3.5 mile trek to the inlaws.
-
Wal-Mart in the crosshairs
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:32 AM) Why is that? Because China's "union" is the government, and it was a prerequisite for Walmart to locate in China. Same reason we didn't let CNOC buy one of our oil companies... It was just a front for the Chinese government involvement.
-
ALCS game 2 on comcast right now
QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:17 AM) Did they show that freak jumping up and down screaming when the game ended in section 108... No, but they did show that dope with the ring sign that changed the magic number before the game was over, who almost got his ass kicked
-
Troop levels to be reduced in Iraq
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:12 AM) If the reduction is in the form of cancelling deployments of army brigades that had been scheduled for combat tours as suggested then I am happy to see it. If it represents the beginning of our 'standing down' as more Iraqi security forces 'stand up,' then I consider it to be some welcome news. Sounds like a little of both from what I heard on the radio this morning. Iraqis are taking over jobs that were previously done by Americans, so they need less troops. With the natural attrition of troops rotating home, those who would have been rotating in are staying home instead of coming into Iraq to acheive two less brigades being there.
-
Foundation sitting on Katrina donations
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports....E20051222a.html Irony.
-
Troop levels to be reduced in Iraq
Looks like we are going to drop about 7000 troops in Iraq. http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051223/D8ELP508P.html
-
Dems: We're losing the war and our economy stinks
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 09:33 AM) Actually, I think both Nuke and I pretty much stated that the recession was caused by factors that Clinton had little control over (overbought markets, upside down tech sector finances, etc.). But if jasoncx it saying that the recession itself was BS, then I don't know what he's talking about either. I've always been a believer in the Fed taking responsibility for the good and the bad for the most part in an economy, unless the other branches of government actually do something to change the economy, such as tax code changes etc. I took his comment as meaning that the recession was Bush's fault because it occured on his watch, and if that was the case, I was going to explain the velocity of money to him, and that it would be realistically impossible to blame Bush for the recession, which IMO was a long time coming. No one had the guts to prick the stock market bubble years before it burst, back when they really should have slowly started letting the air out of it. Remember the "irrational exhuberance" comments were made in 1997, so the higher ups knew about the overbought status of the equity markets, and yet no one dared stop the good times to insure a soft landing. Instead the markets got into ridiculous levels, especially the NASD, and when the bubble finally did let lose, the result was predictable. To be honest I am surprised things weren't MUCH worse, especially when 9-11 is factored in. I honestly believe the tax cuts were the right move at that time because a big shot of liquidity was HUGE for the economy, more than the cash even was the confidence factor going back into the jobs markets.
-
Tickets Available
QUOTE(vegasking @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 08:05 AM) So will I be able to get tickets or not, do they sell out immediately for the July 4th game? They won't sell out right away, but I wouldn't waste time trying to get them at the sametime. Especially if the Sox get off to another quick start, it could become next to impossible to get tickets to Sox games.
-
Wal-Mart in the crosshairs
QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 08:45 AM) I missed that. I love it when it is unpaid, and the employer is expected to force people to take unpaid time off. I know I would rather work 6 hours straight and eat afterwards then be at work 6.5 hours and have to eat at work, or at some place really close on a :30 break. BTW, in Mexico, large plants are required to provide free meals for their employees. And a medical care, usually a Doctor on staff, in the plant. Oh, and transportation, usually on company buses. They are so far ahead of us As a former manager of a retail store, we had to fight with the teenagers especially to make them take breaks because of those reasons. There are a lot of people who think like you do, and to be honest I can't disagree with them. Personally I like breaking up the day a little, but totally understand the people who just want to get it done too.
-
ALCS game 2 on comcast right now
That was the first time I saw all that in "realtime" on TV as this was the game I was lucky enough to attend. It was interesting to see that the people on TV were just as confused as those of us at the ballpark.
-
Sox Fan Holiday Bash & Get-Together
If it wasn't so late, I would head out there. Dugans is an excellent hangout in Greektown. Send my regards to everyone!!!