Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Winter Meetings Poll
The only name on last years 25 man roster that has a chance of being moved is Marte, other than that expect KW to sit on his thumbs during the meetings.
-
ESPNews Reports
Major injury prone AJ Burnett is going to get a 5 year contract, but it is crazy to think that someone would offer Jon Garland a 6-7 year deal... lol.
-
Happy Birthday, farmteam!
Happy Birthday Farmio
-
Furcal is now a dodger
True story... Friday nite the wife and I back up the baby and go to dinner at Old Country buffet. As we walk in there is a mother with about a 13yr old kid in line in front of us. The kid is reciting his plan on how the Cubs are going to get better in the off season. He saids there is a like a 99% chance that Furcal will sign with them, a half a percent chance with the Dodgers and the same for the braves. "99 percent chance, huh?" I retorted, and he looked at me with all of the confidence in teh world "Yup, he will sign with us" he said back to me. LMFAO, I wonder how soggy his cheerios are this morning?
-
For those who bought a McCarthy Jersey
You all are making the big leap of faith that the White Sox website is correct. There have been no stories or talk of Brandon changing his number so I wouldn't freak out just yet.
-
Political News: 11/27-12/3
QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:56 PM) can't remember where i got this link, hugh hewitt or wmca... but someone is trying to start a campaign to send the ACLU a christmas card... here's their address: ACLU 125 Broad Street, 18th floor, New York , NY 10004 here's the link... it's a christian radio station in new york... http://www.wmca.com/weblogs/kmc/date11302005.aspx i was hoping this would have it's own thread... but i don't make the rules.. i just try to break 'em.. That is excellent
-
Jon Garland
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:59 PM) The Yankees needed starting pitching. There, it's explained. And they won't be next year?
-
Why not Owens???
QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 11:49 AM) They didn't have much choice Mike but there's a difference between a closer vs. an everyday position player. They have options they can pursue for CF and I'd bet they're analyzing all of them. I'd actually argue that it is harder on Jenks than it is on Anderson. Anderson has 8 other guys in the line up to hide in, and two other OFers to help him out. When Jenks is on the mound, odds are the game rests on every pitch he throws, pretty much everytime he is out there. I am just making the point that teams do what they need to do to fill their holes, and balance their spending. For a team like the Sox, that means they need a few cheap guys to balance out their big money contracts. There is nothing wrong with Brian Anderson or whoever getting a chance on a defending World Champion team, as they Sox have the entire rest of the line up as veterans, and an incredible pitching staff as well. it isn't like we are pulling a Florida Marlins and pulling the plug after winning a WS.
-
Jon Garland
QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 11:45 AM) Come on people, Jon Garland is not going to be more than a $10 mil pitcher, and he's really going to have to kick some ass to get that. You need to ignore this year's FA market because it's abnormally thin and there is a lot more money to throw around than most years. You want to explain last years starting pitching contracts to me then?
-
Josh's Media Thread
The title is unnecesary, I edited it.
-
Food I can stomach..
Chicken Fingers at Mikes on Clark St downtown
-
Why not Owens???
QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 06:10 PM) Or that neither has ever played a game in AAA. I love hearing about Young, Owens, and Sweeney, I am excited for all 3, but I personally think a team coming off a World Series title shouldnt relay on Chris Young and Jerry Owens in 2006. How about having a rookie closer?
-
David Cross' Open Letter to Larry the Cable Guy
Let's just hope this beef does turn out like a hip hop war... I am not sure if we could handle losing either of these fine comedians
-
NO Levees only built half as deep as thought
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/12/01...s.ap/index.html Now we could be looking at a fraud case against the construction company...
-
What did Bruce Levine speculate on ?
QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:31 PM) Mueller won't be with the white sox. It would make more sense if the sox got someone who could play a solid 3b as well as another position. Mueller only plays 3b. Paying Mueller $4 mill a yr as Crede insurance makes little sense, esp as he can't play somewhere else in the field The Sox are looking at Mueller for 3B, 2B and 1B
-
Jon Garland
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:45 PM) I'm sorry, but a 6-7 year deal? Even AJ Burnett isn't trying to wing a 7 year deal. I can only think of 1 pitcher who's even managed to pull that off in history - Kevin Brown. Even Tim Hudson's contract Extension with the Braves was only a 4 year plan. Garland is 26, has never been injured, makes all his starts, and could be a #1 starter on a lot of teams. If you sign Jon Garland to a 7 year contract he will be 33 when he is done. In today's marketplace that isn't NEARLY as much risk as some teams are taking for pitching. Heck just yesterday the Phillies gave Flash Gordon of reconstructed elbow and frail body fame, just got a 3 year deal to pitch until he is 41 at $ 6 million per year. AJ Burnett who has had his own serious injury problems is looking at a five year deal, how could Garland not be a safer investment? Hudson got a 4 year deal to stay in Atlanta, who never gives out long term deals, if he would have hit the open market, I think he would have been in the same category as Garland... A very long term deal, with a ton of cash. I am not arguing that I like this by any stretch of the imagination, but in this marketplace, you can't tell me Jon Garland getting an 8 figure per year deal at 6-7 years is an improbability right now.
-
Favorite TV shows
New shows... My Name is Earl, The Office, ER, Law & Order SVU, Simpsons, The War at Home, Family Guy.
-
Jon Garland
If Jon Garland had hit the open market this season, he would have been looking at a 6 or 7 year deal, with at least $10 million a year, probably more (maybe way more). The guy is a workhorse at the very least. A guy like Loiaza who is older, and puts up worse career numbers just got a 3 year deal at 7 million per season. Loiaza in the last 5 seasons has put up ERAs under 5, only twice. Even if Garland "regressed" to his form of the prior 3 seasons, he has averaged 200 innings and won double digits every year, in a hugely hitters ballpark... that would all add up to AT LEAST what Kris Benson after 04, probably more because teams would look at Jon's 05 season and think that they could bring him back to that. Hell Oakland just did that with Esteban, on much less evidence and potential of his ever returning to his incredible form. Garland is a $10 million pitcher at the VERY least in today's market. If he goes out in 06 and keeps his ERA under 4 again, we could be talking about a $15 million per year pitcher, on a long term contract, to a team like the Yankees, Red Sox, or whatever flavor of the month GM was overspending at the moment.
-
Thank You Frank Thomas.
QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:20 PM) They probably mean he won't be offerred arbitration. He's a free agent, his option was declined. He can't be released. the only option the Sox really had was to work out a deal to have Frank decline the arbit offer so that they could keep negotiating... Short of that, unless Frank hangs out until May 1st, we have seen the last of Frank Thomas in a Sox uniform, because the deadline is quickly upon us (Dec 7th I believe)
-
Updated Payroll
QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 02:12 PM) The upper $80 millions isn't $90 to $100 million though. It could just mean $87-$88 million. The Sox also said they would barely go over their $63 million figure of 04 for the 05 season... The Sox are notorious for not putting all their cards on the table, and you all know this... Plus from what I understand we are already sitting at about $87-88 million if you factor in respectable raises to AJ, Crede, and Jon...But, nice try at nitpicking.
-
Updated Payroll
QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 01:54 PM) It was $75 million. http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/sa....aspx?year=2005 Rick Hahn was on the Score and said that the 2006 payroll could be in the upper $80 millions. That's nothing... I have been saying that for months http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...49entry925849
-
Soxfest tickets
Go to the Soxtalk main page, and then scroll down... Its underneath Sex Lies and Politics... Its new, we just added it over the weekend.
-
Soxfest tickets
Try the swapmeet board and ask people who have hotel packages if they are going to have an extras they would be willing to sell you. With each hotel package people get 4 passes, many times with only 2 people staying in the room.
-
Updated Payroll
QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:07 AM) Hopefully this thing shows up. I added 2006 to a chart I made last year to show how dramatically the White Sox had changed the structure of the team over the off season. In 2004 the pitchers accounted for only 1/3 of the payroll but in 2005 they got about half of it. That percentage holds true for 2006 with about 51% of money on the mound. So the balance of the team -after the Konerko signing and switching out Thome for Everett and Thomas- remains true to the winning formula of 2005. Pitch well and execute. Interesting graphs, but everything I read had the 2005 payroll at about 75 mil. I am not sure what is missing though...
-
Jon Garland
Any talk of what Garland turned down? I will reserve judgement until I see those numbers. I am really curious to see if Jon was looking for more money, more years, or both...