Everything posted by Lip Man 1
-
Dodgers interested in Robert, Crochet, Pham
Glasnow starting Wednesday, Kershaw starting Thursday for the Dodgers. We'll see how they do and how it may impact their trade interest.
-
White Sox broadcast rated dead last
I'm guessing it is because the personal relationship between Brooks and Jason became toxic over time and Brooks wanted to let Jason know who was boss.
-
7/21- Sox at Royals, 1:10
Let's go winless in Kansas City for the season! Don't stop now boys!
-
7/20 Sox @ Royals 6:10PM
You mean when new ownership arrives. Inquiring minds want to know...do they have another double digit losing streak in them???????????????
-
Crochet "top" priority for LAD
The Dodgers are a lock for the playoffs this year. They aren't a "contender" you can pencil them in for the N.L. playoffs. They have the opportunity to get a person who could be an ace pitcher for several seasons including this year and have him ready to go when it counts the most...this season...come October. They can monitor his work load until then without risking anything as far as making the post season. They have that much flexibility. Dodger fans will understand that situation easily, It is strange that others don't seem to grasp that concept.
-
Revenue vs Payroll
The other reason the owners agreed to do it back in 94-95 was to try to move negotiations forward towards a settlement on their terms. Needless to say the result they got wasn't what they wanted.
-
Revenue vs Payroll
If for no other reason to give credence when they claim they are "losing" money which most fans on the surface simply do not believe. But you don't have to worry, after the Stanford economist destroyed that claim in 94-95, owners vowed they'd never do it again. The Braves are the only exception because they are a publicly owned company and have to do so.
-
Revenue vs Payroll
That also was brought up in The Lords of the Realm. Owners are so dishonest they'll even attempt to screw each other over after supposedly agreeing on something.
- Sox @ Royals, 7:10 pm, Flexen v. Wacha - Battle of the Union Stations
-
Revenue vs Payroll
The book The Lords of the Realm by John Helyar goes into detail on some of the ways teams were hiding income when MLB agreed (for the only time) to let an independent accountant examine their books. He was from Stanford. The accountant exploded Bud Selig's myth that 18 teams were losing money at the time of the 1994-95 labor impasse. MLB vowed they'd never open their books again (and they haven't) One example Helyar went into was the Braves under Ted Turner. Instead of putting up the broadcast rights for the club on the open market in Atlanta, he simply gave them to his own WTBS at a reduced rate. Then claimed that the Braves weren't bringing in as much revenue as they should have and were "losing" money in this area. Smart people can make numbers say just about anything you want them to when they are done with all the manipulations.
- Sox @ Royals, 7:10 pm, Flexen v. Wacha - Battle of the Union Stations
-
Revenue vs Payroll
Agreed but that income still goes to him. That's why it is so tricky to get a real accurate read on what a team does or does not make. There are so many ancillary companies and areas to stash revenue.
-
Sox Quote of the Day...7/19
JR doesn't like to pay people not to work and as others have stated he's the designated scape-goat at the end of the year.
-
Revenue vs Payroll
Until any team allows an independent accountant to examine their books this is all speculation but Manfred has said MLB is now at least a 10 Billion dollar a year business. There are more revenue streams both domestically and internationally for MLB than ever before. And in the Sox case it is not just revenue from merchandise, parking, concessions and advertising it is the very team-friendly deal they have on the stadium with the ISSA.
-
White Sox broadcast rated dead last
That's fine if the two different broadcasts i.e. radio/TV are in synch. Often times they aren't.
-
Sox Quote of the Day...7/19
To Scott Merkin: “We want to develop to win. We want to develop winners. And yes, you gotta develop players fundamentally. But most of the time, these guys come up here fundamentally sound."--Pedro Grifol. WHAT????????????? Is he watching the same things we've been seeing for years in this organization?
-
White Sox broadcast rated dead last
I asked around and I don't know if this is the complete story. I was told Jeff texted Schriffin at a number he thought was his but later learned it was the wrong number. It was a Sox office number. The Sox alerted Jeff and he reached out to John to apologize and to set the record straight for a story that was about to be published. Schriffin never responded. That's all I know.
-
White Sox broadcast rated dead last
? This may be one of the most asinine statements I've ever read in my life. I don't "claim" to announce games, I've broadcast games for 40 years on both TV and radio. This past May for example I broadcast the Big Sky softball championships on ESPN+. 11 games in four days. I've broadcast high school sports, college sports and semi-pro baseball in Kentucky, Louisiana and Idaho. Oh I was also in TV sports anchoring for 14 years at three different stations. I'd be happy to give you a complete list of where I worked and who I broadcast for. I'm 68, there's no way in hell I would have even applied at that age, you must be insane. Bottom line, the broadcast on the TV is poor. Period. End of story. Full stop. Yes it would have been easier to listen to if the Sox were winning but that doesn't change the fact it is poor. And I guarantee you it would STILL be talked about. The "hometown" broadcast is one of the few ways fans connect to the team and organization. It is a damn important connection. You want the best possible person representing your organization in this fashion. Schriffen right now isn't it. He may get better we'll see how he improves next year but I think he'd be better off dropping the "attitude" that he's trying to bring to the broadcast. He shouldn't have a chip on his shoulder, he's not down on the field and frankly he gets paid the same if they win or lose. Just be professional, that's all.
-
MLB front offices under the most pressure, aka WERE #1
There is a lot of truth in the bolded part but I think it is mitigated somewhat with the Sox given the "loyalty" factor by JR and the fact that it is a lot easier to let pride in doing a job well, slip, if you are making a six figure salary. Human nature.
-
Managers on the Hot Seat...
This is the second year of a three year deal.
-
White Sox broadcast rated dead last
He just can't help himself can he? Guy is an embarrassment. 'I don't care how many L's we've got, we're not going to take that s%*# from Milwuakee...er I mean the media!' ?
-
Maldy DFAed
You're right, it is over my head. Don't get it.
-
Brooks Baldwin called up
It was Brook Baldwin and she left a few years ago at CNN.
-
Maldy DFAed
It may not have been his decision.
-
Rays stadium deal is close...
Under the agreement, the county would commit $312.5 million in tourist money to the project. The Rays would pay for more than half of the stadium’s estimated cost as well as any additions or overrun. https://www.mlb.com/news/rays-stadium-city-council-approval The Rays can put up a lot of money to get their stadium deal off the ground but Jerry Reinsdorf apparently can't. ?