White Sox trade Zach Duke to the STL Cardinals

flavum

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16) Charlie Tilson, OF, Grade C+: Age 23, hit .295/.351/.388 with 20 doubles, four homers, 46 steals, 46 walks, 72 strikeouts in 539 at-bats, excellent athlete with fine defensive ability, a threat on the bases though he can still be somewhat raw there, will need to develop more power to be a regular but could have long career as fourth outfielder.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/3/3/11...spects-for-2016

Speed is indeed Tilson's best tool and it can serve him well both on the basepaths and in center field. He improved in terms of his basestealing skills in 2015, but the Cardinals would love to see him become even more aggressive, which they think will help him cut down on his caught stealing rate. Tilson has a good idea of what he's doing at the plate, albeit without power. He draws walks, drops down bunts and uses the whole field. With more experience, he has the chance to be a tick above-average in center field defensively, though right now he still outruns mistakes he makes with his jumps and routes. He has a below-average throwing arm.

Tilson may profile best as a valuable fourth outfielder, though there's still a chance he can be a top-of-the-order catalyst and everyday center fielder.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=stl

I’ll admit to being a little torn on Tilson. Watching him hit is not an impressive sight, with his choppy, pushy swing built for ground balls and no power. He’s not an elite defender, but should do well enough in center field, and he has plus to plus-plus speed that he is learning to use on the bases. Speedsters with ground-ball swings tend to do much better in the minors than in the big leagues, but Tilson has a bit more upside with his hitting because of his contact and occasional solid-looking swing path. We’ll just have to see where it shakes out over the next year or two.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-...ouis-cardinals/

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Let Tilson lead off. Seems that's what he is. Move Eaton to the 2 hole where he excelled and allows us to move Anderson down the order. For now, put him in the outfield over Shuck.

Helps he can hit lefties too. However with Eaton and Tilson at the top, you'll be susceptible to a loogy mowing them down.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
Helps he can hit lefties too. However with Eaton and Tilson at the top, you'll be susceptible to a loogy mowing them down.

Maybe. But his splits against LHP this year at AAA are actually good at the plate.

100 ABs, .380/.423/.480 8 BB 16 K (at worst 14.81 K rate, not sure of HBP #s, SACs, SF #s against LHP). I like this trade for Zach Duke. It seems worst case scenario we have a 4th OF that can play good D, make contact, and can run. Best case scenario we have a starting CF that hits around 275/330/375 and steals 20 bags a year while playing good D. Similar to what Jacoby Ellsbury is putting up this year for the Yankees (264/326/367 .103 ISO 4 HR 17 SBs).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
It doesn't look like they liked him as much as Keenyn Walker.

Maybe a decent 4th OF is a real nice return for Duke. But as I posted before and has been posted a couple times since, there really is no reason to make this trade right now unless something big is going to happen.

LH relief is needed. Relief is needed. He doesn't make a ton of money, and the prospect coming back isn't overwhelming. Some dominoes are going to fall.

It's probably a bad move unless something big is going to happen.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
Not bad at all.

Duke wasn't part of the long term future anyway, and the Sox were able to get his contract off the books too.

I don't know much about Tilson, but I'd be happy if he was a Denard Span or Ben Revere type with good defense.

He basically profiles as a Span/Revere type (best-case scenario) with average defense. I'd be happy with that too

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
Not bad at all.

Duke wasn't part of the long term future anyway, and the Sox were able to get his contract off the books too.

I don't know much about Tilson, but I'd be happy if he was a Denard Span or Ben Revere type with good defense.

If the Sox aren't going to make any bigger moves, they just traded one of their better relievers from their already thin bullpen for a fourth outfielder which weakens them for next year. So if the plan was to give it one more shot with this group in 2017, this is a bad move as it stands alone.

Duke's contract should not have been an issue.

This move should signal that the Sox are about to make some big moves, or at least a flurry of smaller moves. Otherwise it looks pretty much like making a trade just for the sake of making a trade.