White Sox trade Zach Duke to the STL Cardinals

flavum

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (infohawk @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
What stands out for me is that Tilson appears to have some on-base skills. He has an above average .OBP and can draw some walks. The Sox need more consistent .OBP throughout the line-up for a more consistent offensive attack. Additionally, sounds like he has the potential to play slightly above average defense. Not a bad return for Duke.

So coming from a much superior farm system I wonder how long it will take to "uncardinal" him to be the likes of a Avi.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
You save 7 million and get a guy who can play center and hits lefty. While he has little power, if he is a cardinal he will do everything else the "right" way.

That will change if he stays on the Sox farm.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
That will change if he stays on the Sox farm.

That is probably why he is coming up to the main roster right away. Not that the current coaching staff will help coach up and elevate his game by any means.

Sounds like they acquired a possible starting OF/CF if he maximizes his potential, but is more likely a 4th OF.

To be honest, I'm underwhelmed, but I'm no expert. Duke is a good middle reliever, and there seems to be a premium right now on quality pitching.

How does this return compare to what Seattle got for Montgomery?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
Sounds like they acquired a possible starting OF/CF if he maximizes his potential, but is more likely a 4th OF.

To be honest, I'm underwhelmed, but I'm no expert. Duke is a good middle reliever, and there seems to be a premium right now on quality pitching.

Vogelbach is a more one dementional player where as this kid we picked up has a good 3 or 4 tools in the plus column. More well rounded. I personally would have rather had Vogelbach thou.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)

Isn't Montgomery controllable for a while? If so, he should have brought back a bigger return.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
Isn't Montgomery controllable for a while? If so, he should have brought back a bigger return.

They both are under control for at least next season, but I think Montgomery is under control for a few more seasons.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
Vogelbach is a more one dementional player where as this kid we picked up has a good 3 or 4 tools in the plus column. More well rounded. I personally would have rather had Vogelbach thou.

Definitely appears to be a more well rounded player, but is there enough there that he maxes out an everyday CF?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
Definitely appears to be a more well rounded player, but is there enough there that he maxes out an everyday CF?

We'll see - Brett Gardner is his ceiling. I'd say that's a good comp - maybe he's a little faster than Brett with less pop. Scouts still think that he will grow into more power. Gotta like the speed, batters eye, contact skills, and defense.

He sounds like Jerrod Dyson at worst; Willie Wilson at best. Sorry for the two KC Royals comparisons.

Glad Duke is gonzo however.

Well, this is the 'give up on a guy' deal by St. Louis. Obviously trading a second round draft pick for Zach Duke means they have given up on Tilson as a top prospect. It's a good trade for the Sox as Duke is no good and it's Tilson's final chance to blossom. Avi never blossomed, but maybe Tilson will.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
He sounds like Jerrod Dyson at worst; Willie Wilson at best. Sorry for the two KC Royals comparisons.

Glad Duke is gonzo however.

Well, this is the 'give up on a guy' deal by St. Louis. Obviously trading a second round draft pick for Zach Duke means they have given up on Tilson as a top prospect. It's a good trade for the Sox as Duke is no good and it's Tilson's final chance to blossom. Avi never blossomed, but maybe Tilson will.

I don't think this is a case where St. Louis gave up on him. Tilson is just 23 and in Triple-A (and doing pretty well). They Cardinals probably feel like they can afford to give up the 12th best prospect in their system and see Pham, Grichuk, and Hazelbaker as being able to contribute more to their organization.

So the idiot Hahn traded away one of the best relief pitchers in baseball for someone who cannot be any better than a 5th outfielder scrub. Further proof that anyone who advocates wholesale trading of Sox players with Hahn in charge is simply delusional at best and hopelessly insane at worst.

QUOTE (Insp @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
So the idiot Hahn traded away one of the best relief pitchers in baseball for someone who cannot be any better than a 5th outfielder scrub. Further proof that anyone who advocates wholesale trading of Sox players with Hahn in charge is simply delusional at best and hopelessly insane at worst.

Duke, one of the best relievers in baseball? Lol, can we ban this guy, he does nothing but troll.

QUOTE (Insp @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)

You're not very good at talking baseball.

Duke is a valuable reliever, and while the trade alone doesn't improve us significantly it's important to look at the overall plan. I think it proves that we're not going to go through any rebuild......yet again. Perhaps yet another attempt at rebuilding on the fly, which is nauseating.

I understand it's Duke (not Chapman or Miller) and there are still other players left to be dealt, but this doesn't inspire much hope in me. I wouldn't be surprised if Robertson or Jones is dealt for a ML backup catcher