Dave Kaplan reports Kenny Williams holding back Rick Hahn

Donaldo

QUOTE (Coach @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
Here is where we will agree to disagree. In my opinion, unless a team wins the whole thing, all you did was play some more games than everyone else who did not make the playoffs. No one cares who lost the World Series.

This may be the dumbest thing I have ever read

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With as many 1 run games the Sox have been involved with, one bat, whether it was Abreu being Abreu, Desmond, Cespedes, who knows, maybe even LaRoche...could have made a huge difference. But, they didn't have it. Going half assed , eyeing getting better at the deadline, burned them again. Of course, they could have spent money on Upton or Gordon, and KW would be getting cussed out for that right now. It appears it was damned if you do, damned if you don't this year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 06:44 AM)
Lol that's the best part of it. Him wanting the Sox to wait until after the draft and then acting like he wanted the Sox to sign him from the beginning.

Were the Sox EVER going to give up the draft pick for him?

The answer to that was obviously no.

Ergo, the only possibly way they would have signed him would be the same way in which Morales signed with the Twins and Drew with the Yankees two years ago.

Not rocket science. And obviously the Rangers are a much better run organization than the Sox, because they already have enough power arms in their pen and minors the draft pick is more or less immaterial.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
Were the Sox EVER going to give up the draft pick for him?

The answer to that was obviously no.

Ergo, the only possibly way they would have signed him would be the same way in which Morales signed with the Twins and Drew with the Yankees two years ago.

Not rocket science. And obviously the Rangers are a much better run organization than the Sox, because they already have enough power arms in their pen and minors the draft pick is more or less immaterial.

You posted the June stuff in the Sox talking to Desmomd. They were certainly considering it. Nice spin too bad that is what it is. Besides, you wanting to trade Quintana for Puig would have left no room in the OF. Also your interest in Hector Olivera doesn't seem so bright now either.

Besides you posted it in the same thread you said pay Latos $10 million and Parra $8 million. 2 things the Sox wouldn't do either. When they signed Latos for much cheaper you complained saying not enough teams were interested. I wonder why you didn't say that about Desmond. And you went through all the palmtops with Parra and Avi, never even mentioning Desmomd.

One thing is for sure. If the Sox signed Desmond, gave up the pick and he failed, you would be mentioning how stupid the move was considering he had been trending down 3 straight years, and spinning your idea of June as being smart because they would at least have the draft pick.

And the draft pick also shows how full of s*** you are. You blast them for not making Burdi a starter, but in another thread point out how Frankie Montas would have been a big help to the bullpen this year if they only hadn't stupidly traded him. Not only ignoring he has been hurt all year, but making HIM a reliever. Something you said was stupid to do with Burdi.LMAO.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
I think looking at it like that is shortsighted. When we were good at pro scouting we flipped Mike Morse, Miguel Olivo and Jeremy Reed for Freddie Garcia. None of them did that well and it didn't hurt the white sox, but they had trade value and Garcia was really good. Now we trade 3 not very good players for 1 not very good player. Trading thompson for Frazier cost us the opportunity to trade him for someone useful OR keep him. We know what we got from Frazier, a replaceable year on a bad team.

I agree with your point, but I think you're selling a few guys a little short. Mike Morse hit .276 with 104 HR and 352 RBI over his 12 year career. He was a pretty solid player; sometimes you have to give up something to get something. Olivo wasn't a great catcher, but he was pretty good (both offensively and defensively). The M's also sent us Ben Davis, a good defensive catcher who couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag.

IMO, both sides benefited from that trade.

Gio Gonzalez and Fautino de los Santos for Nick Swisher... BAD TRADE

Kip Wells, Sean Lowe, and Josh Fogg for Todd Ritchie... BAD TRADE

Shouldergate was a disaster for both teams (IIRC, Toronto GM Gord Ash actually lost his job over that trade).

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)
I agree with your point, but I think you're selling a few guys a little short. Mike Morse hit .276 with 104 HR and 352 RBI over his 12 year career. He was a pretty solid player; sometimes you have to give up something to get something. Olivo wasn't a great catcher, but he was pretty good (both offensively and defensively). The M's also sent us Ben Davis, a good defensive catcher who couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag.

Shouldergate was a disaster for both teams (IIRC, Toronto GM Gord Ash actually lost his job over that trade).

You're forgetting Ryan Sweeney, who was a serviceable bench player amid occasional bursts of starting glory throughout his career. He did enough to attract one last payday from the Cubs.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)

But the point is the sox used to explicitly benefit from trades where they acquired ML ball players for minor league talent and it didn't hurt their overall club. NOt that they were 100%, because Ritchie was IMO multiples worse than the Samardjiza trade.

But the run of inconsequential acquisitions we made is alarming. For hahn's we have 2 very good acquisitions in the beginning - Abreu and Eaton.

But there is no Loaiza for Contreras, Miles for Uribe, Borchard for Thornton, (this will be controversial but) Marte for Guerrier(sp?), Dye, Garcia, Ramirez, Thome,

i.e. no players that were acquired that were significantly good on the sox that would offset any losses. We are constantly acquiring for the most marginal of upgrades at the acquired spot and killed by depth issues.

We had great pro scouting for 2000s and I don't know what the hell happened to it but it has been horrible.

Edit: Rienzo for D. Jennings is Hahn's 2nd best trade. MiGo is probably now my 3rd ranking.

Edited by bmags

Hahn-we have had conversations on how this operation works.I would not have taken the GM job unless I thought it was a recipe for success

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/768929676299472896

Hahn:we have had a number of talks(Kenny -Jerry and I)about the best way to approach the off season. When it comes we will execute that plan

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/768927529101037569

#WhiteSox GM Rick Hahn on perceived rift with Kenny Williams: "Frankly, tired news and repetitive and there’s nothing there."

https://twitter.com/scotgregor/status/768933039090995200

Rick Hahn on reports of front office division: "It seems every few months we need to have this same conversation. ... It's simply untrue."

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/768933235761963008

Hahn: "There also comes a pt where there is a level of frustration with the way things have played out over the last couple of years." 1/2

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/768935729581862912

Hahn: "I’m not saying (a rebuild) is the route we’re going to go, but assure you there is absolute openness from Jerry, Kenny, myself." 2/2

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/768935822984740864

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
This may be the dumbest thing I have ever read

Basically what you are saying is it's ok to make the playoffs and lose in any of the rounds. Making the playoffs is no big deal. It does gives you the opportunity to win the whole thing. But like I said, this is my opinion. Without the grand prize, the team had a better season than many of the others but they only played a few more but came away empty.

What can I say? This is my opinion.