Best HBO Series of All Time

jasonxctf

Best HBO Series of All Time  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best series that HBO aired?

• Sopranos
    • Entourage
    • Boardwalk Empire
    • Game of Thrones
    • Wire
    • Larry sanders show
    • Veep
    • Curb Your Enthusiasm
    • Six feet under
    • Other (name it)

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
I'm surprised so many people love Eastbound and Down, I enjoyed the first season but the schtick got old for me.

I'm enjoying Vice Principals more than I ever liked EB&D

I'm surprised so many people love Eastbound and Down, I enjoyed the first season but the schtick got old for me.

Agree 100%.

This was a tough choice for me as well, as The Wire, Sopranos and GOT are 3 of my all time favorite shows. I ended up voting for The Wire.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Band of Brothers (does it count)? If so, it is easily Band of Brothers, followed by Game of Thrones, followed by Entourage.

I'm with you. It was a mini-series, so I'm not sure if it counts for the purpose of this poll. But definitely Band of Brothers for me.

But there are so many good ones on this list.

I was actually kidding. It was funny, but it's nowhere near the top of the list. Unless you ask Kenny Powers.

As far as comedies go, the last few seasons of Veep have been top notch.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
The sopranos was a weekly thing where people literally gathered at houses to watch. I dont think people do that as much today, but I remember in college getting together every sunday to watch with friends.

I've gotten together for GoT with my buddy the last 4 seasons. Depending on where we lived at the time, we would have upwards of 5 people watching and then talking about it after.

1. The Wire. My wife & I binge watched the whole thing in a month or so. I've been thinking about going back and watching it.

2. GofT. I love 90% of this show, but I'm sure I'm in the minority in not liking the Mother of Dragons storyline. And I thought Dinklage had a bad season.

3. Really, probably number 2, but I moved before the last season, and I've still never seen that season. Another one I want to revisit.

I came back in to add that Sopranos was so revolutionary that it might suffer a little compared to some modern stuff, but for its time it was really, really great. Much like athletes, it's more fair to compare these shows to how they stacked up against tv at the same time.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

For me it's GoT, though I'm definitely biased after reading the books. Season 5 mostly sucked and a few other things drive me nuts, but most of it is really good.

2 would have to be The Sopranos, though I haven't watched it in a while.

I've tried to watch the Wire, but I've started and stopped like 4 times. I think I'm somewhere in season 3.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
It's Sopranos and it's not particularly close, IMHO. The Wire is second in my book. The Wire was quite good, but between Gandolfini and Falco, there really is no tv character duo that outdoes them. So many great performances in Sopranos.

I tend to skew this way as well. I think the main characters on Sopranos were some of the most fleshed out and interesting ever seen in TV history. Although I will say I think The Wire told a much more complex yet cohesive story and deserves as much if not more praise for what it accomplished.

And while I'm obsessed with Game of Thrones, I would probably put it second behind Sopranos. As a book reader, there have certain decisions that have impacted my opinion of the show.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
Band of Brothers (does it count)? If so, it is easily Band of Brothers, followed by Game of Thrones, followed by Entourage.

Just saw the thread, without seeing any options, that was my pic...and it's not even close if we're counting it. Otherwise I'd go GoT then Deadwood, then Sopranos then The wire... But those four are neck and neck, band of brothers is way ahead though.

Voted Curb. I'm watching Sopranos, but only through 2 seasons so far. Game of Thrones is just not my cup of tea- doesn't do anything for me. I actively disliked Entourage. Apart from those, I've only also seen Eastbound (I like it, only saw the first season and a handful of season two).

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

1. The Wire

2. Deadwood (criminally underrated here, not even a spot on the poll!)

3. GoT

4. Curb

5. Sopranos

Season 1 of Sopranos would be the best ever, but it was a slow downhill fall from there. There was a lot of bad Sopranos that people forget about (e.g., everything with Jackie Jr. and Ralphie, Season 6a, etc.)

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 01:17 AM)
Should make another thread for best HBO Documentaries. I would start with Paradise Lost and then The Jinx. I also love the Iceman stuff too.

Paradise Lost is a really good documentary but it is so hard to watch. The videos of when they find the kids are just heart breaking.

The Iceman interviews are a great watch. That was truly a man with no moral compass

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
John from Cincinnati?

I hate that show, had a lot of potential, but it made no sense in the end or at least I didn't get it. Perhaps a second season would have helped in that regard. Just too weird for mainstream audiences to continue on.

Edited by Chicago White Sox