2016-17 free agency thread (NON WHITE SOX RELATED)

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 09:33 PM)
Jesse Sanchez ‏@JesseSanchezMLB

Source: #BlueJays have emerged as the front-runner for Jose Bautista. He's nearing a deal with the club. #Toronto @mlb

6 years - 150 million

Book it.

:bang:

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 11:43 PM)
6 years - 150 million

Book it.

:bang:

:lol:

Riddle me this poop-meister.

It's an all out fugly royale between Bautista and that contract or Heyward and his contract. Which poop do you choose good sir?

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 10:08 PM)
:lol:

Riddle me this poop-meister.

It's an all out fugly royale between Bautista and that contract or Heyward and his contract. Which poop do you choose good sir?

Heyward. Younger, more tools, better D, higher chance at more value over the lifetime of that contract with a greater rebound chance. Nice question.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 11:18 PM)
The problem with that is it's hard to market Robertson/Jones/Holland simultaneously as closers.

Seems that one needs to be moved (Robertson or Jones) to clear the way...since presumably Burdi will be the man beginning in 2018, unless Nate Jones is somehow still around and they want Burdi to break into the majors as a set-up guy first. Not sure about the wisdom of doing that, since he's closed his entire collegiate career.

Addison Reed basically took over the closer's spot as a rookie, as well. Santos had to earn his way there, but his background was different, as he started out as a first round draft pick SS with the DBacks.

No, it's not a problem having multiple closers on a team at all. That netted the Yankees a boatload of prospects

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 11:18 PM)
The problem with that is it's hard to market Robertson/Jones/Holland simultaneously as closers.

Seems that one needs to be moved (Robertson or Jones) to clear the way...since presumably Burdi will be the man beginning in 2018, unless Nate Jones is somehow still around and they want Burdi to break into the majors as a set-up guy first. Not sure about the wisdom of doing that, since he's closed his entire collegiate career.

Addison Reed basically took over the closer's spot as a rookie, as well. Santos had to earn his way there, but his background was different, as he started out as a first round draft pick SS with the DBacks.

Not a problem at all. In fact, it seems like that would increase the market for Robertson. Holland being on board could be the closer for half the season and then flipped. Jones, being signed for 5 years, would close the rest of the 2017 season post-Holland trade and if not traded in the off-season, would be the closer entering 2018.

I guess.

But Miller, Chapman and Betances are closer to elite.

There's really no guarantee that Robertson, Holland or Jones will increase their value...and I have a feeling the White Sox will be outbid on Holland by a contender if he's at least 85-90% healthy.

That said, there is no guarantee with Derek Holland as well, but can they get this Holland for roughly the same price?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
I guess.

There's really no guarantee that Robertson, Holland or Jones will increase their value...and I have a feeling the White Sox will be outbid on Holland by a contender if he's at least 85-90% healthy.

That said, there is no guarantee with Derek Holland as well, but can they get this Holland for roughly the same price?

Sox just have to outbid those teams. With not much financial commit they can: 1) offer him the most money and 2) if he's healthy and good, he can be dealt to a team that needs him. A contender.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
I guess.

That's not the point at all. The point is the Sox are (supposed to be) collecting assets and turning them into more assets. You are saying that's a problem and that is silly. I'm not saying that Robertson Jones and Holland are the same as Betances Chapman and Miller in talent, im saying that the Yankees collected multiple good relievers and used those assets to get more very good assets for the future.

And why do you keep counting Jones as a closer? His experience is limited at best

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 06:20 AM)
I'd rather have Bats at 2y $40m though. Also, Bats is the better player and has been all of Heyward's career. The age difference muddles their future but still, I'll take Bautista.

The question was Bats at 6 / 150 or Heyward at what he signed for

The question was Bats at 6 / 150 or Heyward at what he signed for

Well which of the two do you think can put the team on their back and win a title? Bats definitely has flashed that ability but at 36 I dont know how much he has left in the tank. Heyward was flat out benched in the playoffs, but he's young enough to turn it around and even if he doesnt he'll never been totally useless becuase his defensive skill set provides some value.

Depends where my team is. If I'm one hitter away from thinking I can win it all give me Bautista and I'll worry about the money later, after I've got my ring.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
Well which of the two do you think can put the team on their back and win a title? Bats definitely has flashed that ability but at 36 I dont know how much he has left in the tank. Heyward was flat out benched in the playoffs, but he's young enough to turn it around and even if he doesnt he'll never been totally useless becuase his defensive skill set provides some value.

Depends where my team is. If I'm one hitter away from thinking I can win it all give me Bautista and I'll worry about the money later, after I've got my ring.

I mean, Bautista is fun and all but he has yet to put any team on his back and win a title. Heyward, for all of his offensive struggles, was invaluable defensively for the cubs. He wasn't really flat out benched either, he played all but one game

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
Heyward. Younger, more tools, better D, higher chance at more value over the lifetime of that contract with a greater rebound chance. Nice question.

I lean towards Bautista myself. I have little hope for Heyward's bat and for now his defense is carrying him but as that 6'5" 240lb frame ages his defense will drop off.

Just thought I would ask to pass a little time and perhaps, some gas.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
I lean towards Bautista myself. I have little hope for Heyward's bat and for now his defense is carrying him but as that 6'5" 240lb frame ages his defense will drop off.

Just thought I would ask to pass a little time and perhaps, some gas.

The dude would be 42 by the end of that contract. Yuck.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
The dude would be 42 by the end of that contract. Yuck.

There in lies the conundrum I was trying to illustrate. Take the aging vet that's still productive or the 27 year old with a s***ty bat and eventual declining defense. There's no right or wrong really, just a matter of preference is all. I wouldn't want either player on the Sox.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
They could really use a platoon LF couldn't they...maybe Melkster.

Platoon with Upton would make sense. Would Bautista stay in RF or could he potentially be getting time at 1B and DH when Morales is out of the lineup? I know they also signed Steve Pearce who makes sense as a platoon option somewhere as well.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
They could really use a platoon LF couldn't they...maybe Melkster.

Thats what I was thinking as well, Melky and MiGo make a lot of sense, especially if the sox eat all of melky's remaining contract, I think there is enough value there to get something interesting back.