2016-17 free agency thread (NON WHITE SOX RELATED)

southsider2k5

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Username @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 08:00 AM)
Marlins just gave up 2 pretty decent prospects and a lotto ticket for Dan Straily, LOL! The guy had a 4.88 FIP last year. Have to think that can't be bad for Q's market.

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/822069860620533762

These are the deals that make me wonder why we haven't heard more about Nate Jones and Dan Jennings being available.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
Only $12M per for Trumbo...crazy, 5 years ago he probably gets a contract bordering on $100M. I think it might be real tough to get anything other than a couple lotto ticket 19 year olds for Frazier and Melky if/when they do get moved.

Yep, pretty wild how the market shifted so fast in just a couple years. All the sluggers have had lower than projected contracts this off-season.

... And the waiting game continues.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 05:50 PM)
Only $12M per for Trumbo...crazy, 5 years ago he probably gets a contract bordering on $100M. I think it might be real tough to get anything other than a couple lotto ticket 19 year olds for Frazier and Melky if/when they do get moved.

Frazier put up a 2.4 WAR in 2016 a down year for him. It would be a career high for Trumbo. Napoli was a 1.0 WAR guy. Chances are Baltimore still overpaid.

It seems contenders aren't looking for a 3B right now. Eventually at least a couple will be through injury or poor performance. Frazier improves his BABIP, and keeps his career best walk rate up, he should be a coveted guy during the season. Melky, the Sox will probably have to eat some cash unless he is just smoking the ball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Frazier put up a 2.4 WAR in 2016 a down year for him. It would be a career high for Trumbo. Napoli was a 1.0 WAR guy. Chances are Baltimore still overpaid.

It seems contenders aren't looking for a 3B right now. Eventually at least a couple will be through injury or poor performance. Frazier improves his BABIP, and keeps his career best walk rate up, he should be a coveted guy during the season. Melky, the Sox will probably have to eat some cash unless he is just smoking the ball.

Thank you for posting this. Drives me crazy seeing people lump Frazier into the one-dimensional slugger category when he's a solid 3B.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 06:20 PM)
Yep, pretty wild how the market shifted so fast in just a couple years. All the sluggers have had lower than projected contracts this off-season.

... And the waiting game continues.

It shifted pretty quick didn't it. I think some of the factors are...

1) the number of teams rebuilding

2) stricter penalties for going over the salary threshold

3) more teams realizing that in general, most veterans in that 30+ year old range decline during the new contract.

4) as we've seen the last few years with the Sox, the contracts of Melky, LaRoche and Danks have hindered future moves. Remember last year when Hahn said he would have to get creative in order to make a run at Cespedes/Upton/Gordon? The LaRoche and Danks contracts definitely hindered that.

I think a perfect example is Alex Gordon. He recieved a guaranteed three year deal for 60M and regressed in '16. Can you imagine the b****ing that would be going on right now if it had been the Sox that signed Gordon? All I can say is thank you KC.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 07:08 PM)
Thank you for posting this. Drives me crazy seeing people lump Frazier into the one-dimensional slugger category when he's a solid 3B.

Same here. It's not that Frazier doesn't have value, he most certainly does. The problem is that there is not many teams interested in Frazier because they already have a 3B or they are rebuilding. I think it's the lack of suitors that hurts Frazier's value more than anything.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 05:50 PM)

Melky, ya probably.

Frazier? He can actually play a position and is better bat than Trumbo. Problem is, market for 3B is garbage right now. But I think he'll still get something decent when moved.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 07:13 PM)
It shifted pretty quick didn't it. I think some of the factors are...

1) the number of teams rebuilding

2) stricter penalties for going over the salary threshold

3) more teams realizing that in general, most veterans in that 30+ year old range decline during the new contract.

4) as we've seen the last few years with the Sox, the contracts of Melky, LaRoche and Danks have hindered future moves. Remember last year when Hahn said he would have to get creative in order to make a run at Cespedes/Upton/Gordon? The LaRoche and Danks contracts definitely hindered that.

I think a perfect example is Alex Gordon. He recieved a guaranteed three year deal for 60M and regressed in '16. Can you imagine the b****ing that would be going on right now if it had been the Sox that signed Gordon? All I can say is thank you KC.

Would anyone be any happier with Justin Upton's performance? Probably not.

His overall stats look decent, but he was absolutely terrible for the first half of the season, and his intermittent hot streaks in the second half weren't enough to push the Tigers back into it, not with JD Martinez out for most of the year and the starting rotation after Verlander and Fulmer struggling.

In the end, even in the "best case" scenario of those three outfielders, we'd have pretty dramatically overpaid for Cespedes for one year and have almost nothing left right now to show for it except an even more middling first round draft pick.

That's not counting Heyward, Fowler and Desmond as part of the conversation.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 08:00 PM)

You call it a down year, I call it a guy who clearly isn't a good hitter anymore. Frazier's entire approach at the plate is awful and has been for 1,000+ AB's now, I don't see that suddenly changing. So yeah, it's nice that he plays a pretty good 3B, but if he can't prove he's capable of hitting better than .230/.310 he's going to be pretty worthless at the deadline.