2016-17 free agency thread (NON WHITE SOX RELATED)

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
Would anyone be any happier with Justin Upton's performance? Probably not.

His overall stats look decent, but he was absolutely terrible for the first half of the season, and his intermittent hot streaks in the second half weren't enough to push the Tigers back into it, not with JD Martinez out for most of the year and the starting rotation after Verlander and Fulmer struggling.

In the end, even in the "best case" scenario of those three outfielders, we'd have pretty dramatically overpaid for Cespedes for one year and have almost nothing left right now to show for it except an even more middling first round draft pick.

That's not counting Heyward, Fowler and Desmond as part of the conversation.

I would be happier with Upton because he did hit better and is younger but that's just me, others may feel differently. As for the rest of your post, I definitely agree.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Angels have struck a deal with free-agent infielder Luis Valbuena, per Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). It’s believed to be for two years with an option attached, per Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register (Twitter link). The connection between Valbuena and the Halos was first reported by Venezuelan journalist Efrain Zavarce (via Twitter).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/ange...p;post-id=83259

Christ Astros you're facing 3 teams in your division that should now be .500 or better and you have that rotation. I'm not even sure you're a 2nd wild card.

They're probably not, which is why they are searching desperately for another pitcher. If Oakland weren't in their division I think Beane would've sold them Gray by now, but even Gray doesn't hep them that much and Beane is going to up the pricetag on a division rival.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 01:27 AM)
They're probably not, which is why they are searching desperately for another pitcher. If Oakland weren't in their division I think Beane would've sold them Gray by now, but even Gray doesn't hep them that much and Beane is going to up the pricetag on a division rival.

I wouldn't say "They're probably not", but they'll have to fight probably someone in the AL East for it. Unless Buxton and Sano break out, with both the White Sox and the Twins being bottom dwellers in the AL Central the Tigers and Royals have a chance to fatten up with several extra wins and that to me sets up one wild card to come from the AL Central. Out in the West I'm not even sure Oakland is that bad, and that shapes up like a 4 team slugfest without them. Their lineup is probably the best of the group, which makes them a strong contender to even win the division, but I don't know who the favorite is out there right now. If Houston wants to be a favorite for that spot they're going to have to trade something they don't want to trade.

I don't know, as much as I want the Astros to get desperate enough to get a deal done for Q, I feel like that kind of bias is leading posters here to underrate them. Their rotation is suspect and they could definitely use Quintana, but their offense and bullpen should be near the top of the AL. The Royals' rotation is even more suspect and this will probably be their weakest bullpen in years (I'd probably put it in the bottom half of the league at this point). The Tigers are still relying on a bunch of mid-30s players and have plenty of rotation concerns themselves. The Rangers' rotation is very top heavy and even with their top 2 Darvish has health concerns and Hamels is a year older after seeing his walk rate go up significantly. I also think their offense is pretty overrated. Seattle looks interesting but I still think they have more question marks than Houston does. I just don't see why any of these teams should be favored ahead of the Astros right now.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)
I don't know, as much as I want the Astros to get desperate enough to get a deal done for Q, I feel like that kind of bias is leading posters here to underrate them. Their rotation is suspect and they could definitely use Quintana, but their offense and bullpen should be near the top of the AL. The Royals' rotation is even more suspect and this will probably be their weakest bullpen in years (I'd probably put it in the bottom half of the league at this point). The Tigers are still relying on a bunch of mid-30s players and have plenty of rotation concerns themselves. The Rangers' rotation is very top heavy and even with their top 2 Darvish has health concerns and Hamels is a year older after seeing his walk rate go up significantly. I also think their offense is pretty overrated. Seattle looks interesting but I still think they have more question marks than Houston does. I just don't see why any of these teams should be favored ahead of the Astros right now.

Think of how good they would be if they had drafted Bryant instead of Appel. Then drafted Rodon instead of Aiken. They ultimately got Bregman, but wouldn't have needed him with Bryant, and Rodon would look awesome in their rotation. Bryant, Correa, Altuve. I could play 1B and it would be one of the greatest infields in the league.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)

Agreed, their offense is pretty damn great. They can field 9 really good hitters in the same lineup. Pitching and D may be a little shaky, but they could probably mash their way to 88 wins without any pitching upgrades as we speak. And they seem pretty determined to get a pitcher eventually, whether it be Q or someone else.

Altuve

Bregman

Correra

Springer

Reddick

McCann

Beltran

Gurriell

Gattis/Aoki

I sure wouldn't want to have to face that lineup...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
Think of how good they would be if they had drafted Bryant instead of Appel. Then drafted Rodon instead of Aiken. They ultimately got Bregman, but wouldn't have needed him with Bryant, and Rodon would look awesome in their rotation. Bryant, Correa, Altuve. I could play 1B and it would be one of the greatest infields in the league.

They had 2 picks in a row the year they got Bregman. Wasn't he the first of their 2? So yeah they likely would have ended up with Bryant, Rodon, and Bregman. Dearlord.

Edit: They'd probably try to convert Bregman to left (similar to now but would have more reason to do it).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
They have Altuve, Correa and Springer. The rest really aren't that enthusing.

The rest will all likely have wRC+ in the range of 105-110 if not more (with the exceptions of Gurriel and McCann probably being in the 95-100 range). Even if you're not that enthused about the rest, there aren't really any weak spots either.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)
Agreed, their offense is pretty damn great. They can field 9 really good hitters in the same lineup. Pitching and D may be a little shaky, but they could probably mash their way to 88 wins without any pitching upgrades as we speak. And they seem pretty determined to get a pitcher eventually, whether it be Q or someone else.

Altuve

Bregman

Correra

Springer

Reddick

McCann

Beltran

Gurriell

Gattis/Aoki

I sure wouldn't want to have to face that lineup...

After checking I found it extremely interesting that Seattle actually outscored them last year. Despite the ballpark differences and with a career year from Altuve. So did the Rangers, but that's less surprising.

In WAR terms, the pitching was at or near the bottom of the league.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)

It all depends on Strahm and Soria. Karns will be a factor out there, too, in all likelihood.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

now

Source: Dodgers, Rays deep into discussions on a deal that would send Logan Forsythe to Los Angeles. If medicals are good, deal will happen.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

55s

Dodgers and Rays have discussed Jose DeLeon as the main return for Logan Forsythe. Unclear if he is in the deal at this point.

Edited by Sleepy Harold