NLCS: Cubs vs Dodgers

Panerista

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
It's amazing how quickly the trib columnists start wetting their pants and fall back into their cynical sniping of the players/coaches decisions.

Went from being so annoyed at the ridiculous tweets like "Lester could have chosen to join the Giants, instead he chose a chance at immortality" to now "Madden tried to get too cute, and now he needs to get smart"

Kaplan's meltdown was the best of all to watch.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
An effective 4th or 5th starter is still pretty valuable though.

Sure but I think that's best case. Just as likely to put up numbers similar to a 2015 John Danks. That wouldn't be a terrible thing but definitely a step back from the production they got out of the #4/5 slots this season.

The meatball in me says that while Arrieta and Hendricks are great pitchers, they are NL fools gold that aren't on same level as having a Kershaw/Bumgarner/...Syndegaard

(even though they will certainly get chance in their playoffs of becoming the stopper that randomly comes in late and has success)

Just a bunch of fooools gold.

I know this might sound petty but there is this guy at work that is a big cub fan. He is in his early 30's and married with 2 young kids. He sits with this woman at lunch and flirts with her all day. Messaging on the company chat, going to each others desk, he kisses her on the neck and the cheek, and joke around about getting a hotel room.

He is always nice to me but that crap pissed me off. I hope the Cubs lose so he cries . Karma is a b****.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
The only thing with Urias is how deep will he go? If he only gets to 5th there's a lot of opportunities there, especially with Jensens 1.1 innings pitched last night.

My guess is they're hoping for two times through the order.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)
Nestor Molina begets Mike Montgomery, the circle of life is complete

nobody said anything about turning him into a stud. I love how "acquiring a cost controlled young arm" quickly spun into "they need a front line starter for the playoffs" and "if they can also turn Montgomery into a stud...."

The Cubs dont want Hammell(and who knows, maybe Lackey too) wasting a spot. They want a young starter with talent that could possibly realize his potential. When they acquired Montgomery, this was all said about him. Maddon in his call in this week mentioned Montgomery starting next year. They probably have acquired this arm already

You said they need cost controlled arms, I agree with that and I also think they more importantly need a front end starter like Arrieta was last year. I am not sold that they will continue to be as durable as they were the last two years as a team.

The Dodgers and Mets injury issues and the Giants not getting a bat are benefiting the cubs greatly right now. The cubs are playing right now with essentially the 25 man roster they began the year with sans the LF that cant play LF who was replaced by a potentially better player.

3 wins in the next four games and this all becomes irrelevant anyway.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
It's amazing how quickly the trib columnists start wetting their pants and fall back into their cynical sniping of the players/coaches decisions.

Went from being so annoyed at the ridiculous tweets like "Lester could have chosen to join the Giants, instead he chose a chance at immortality" to now "Madden tried to get too cute, and now he needs to get smart"

I, too, love the wild swings in media/fan narrative. If the Cubs lose this, I fully expect the wildest pendulum swing yet, from "there's really no way the Cubs don't win multiple World Series titles in the next few years" to "there is something fundamentally wrong with the Cubs lineup; it can't succeed in October." The team was insulated from this last year because it was a surprising, one-year-early scenario. But boy, this year...things would turn dark quickly.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
Kaplan probably went home and stomped upstairs to his room and slammed the door yelling "leave me alone!", then put his Cubs Pujols jersey on and cried himself to sleep

You forgot where he put on "Go Cubs Go" on his stereo and turned it all the way up to mask the sounds of weeping.

On Tuesday, the Blue Jays ensured life for another day as they took Game 4 of the ALCS against the Indians and cut their series deficit to 3-1. Out in L.A., the Dodgers suffocated Cubs bats yet again in Game 3 and now lead the NLCS by a count of two games to one. That means it's time for a reset of our LCS and World Series odds.

Per SportsLine, here are each playoff team's updated chances to win the LCS and World Series, sorted by World Series championship chances:

Team Win LCS Win WS

Los Angeles Dodgers

70.4% 40.9%

Cleveland Indians 86.6% 36.4%

Chicago Cubs

29.6% 17.0%

Toronto Blue Jays 13.4% 5.7%

Needless to say, the Dodgers' win in Game 3 over the Cubs was a critical one, as it drastically improved their postseason outlook.

As for Wednesday's slate, all four teams will be in action, and the Blue Jays are once again one game from elimination. Likewise, though, they're one game from sending the series back to Cleveland.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-play...ilities-101916/

Edited by whitesoxjr27

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
On Tuesday, the Blue Jays ensured life for another day as they took Game 4 of the ALCS against the Indians and cut their series deficit to 3-1. Out in L.A., the Dodgers suffocated Cubs bats yet again in Game 3 and now lead the NLCS by a count of two games to one. That means it's time for a reset of our LCS and World Series odds.

Per SportsLine, here are each playoff team's updated chances to win the LCS and World Series, sorted by World Series championship chances:

Team Win LCS Win WS

Los Angeles Dodgers

70.4% 40.9%

Cleveland Indians 86.6% 36.4%

Chicago Cubs

29.6% 17.0%

Toronto Blue Jays 13.4% 5.7%

Needless to say, the Dodgers' win in Game 3 over the Cubs was a critical one, as it drastically improved their postseason outlook.

As for Wednesday's slate, all four teams will be in action, and the Blue Jays are once again one game from elimination. Likewise, though, they're one game from sending the series back to Cleveland.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-play...ilities-101916/

All I'm reading is an 83% chance the Cubs don't win the World Series