2016-2017 Off-season Plans (extensive)

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
I have no issue with signing FAs like Melancon, Weiters (assuming he's not a QO FA), Reddick, and a fifth starter.

Melancon probably gets a 3-4 year deal (no QO),

Wieters probably takes a 1 year deal (no QO, but I think he stays in Bal),

Reddick could probably get a 4-5 year deal (A's tried to extend him for 3, he wanted 4, could probably get 5 in this market, also no QO),

Fifth starter: if no one from our rotation is dealt, it probably remains how it is now.

If they signed that group above and the team is not contending in July, then blow it up.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
You just added $50 million to next year's payroll! :lol:

How? I'm guessing Garcia and Lawrie are gone and the bullpen is cheaper than last year (no Duke or Albers replaced by rookies) minus whoever they sign. I'd guess Melancon, Wieters, Reddick, and a guy like Volquez costs ~$40M-45M so in total it's adding in the range of $25M to last season's payroll. As stated, if JR wants to compete now that's the cost. Going to have to spend near the $150M range.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
Melancon probably gets a 3-4 year deal (no QO),

Wieters probably takes a 1 year deal (no QO, but I think he stays in Bal),

Reddick could probably get a 4-5 year deal (A's tried to extend him for 3, he wanted 4, could probably get 5 in this market, also no QO),

Fifth starter: if no one from our rotation is dealt, it probably remains how it is now.

If they signed that group above and the team is not contending in July, then blow it up.

Precisely but by blow it up I mean trade Melky, Frazier, and Robertson. Those three moves alone would shed ~$40M for the following season. So even if JR were to pump up the payroll to ~$150M at the start of the 2017 season, they would still have a ton of financial flexibility going into 2018.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
Precisely but by blow it up I mean trade Melky, Frazier, and Robertson. Those three moves alone would shed ~$40M for the following season. So even if JR were to pump up the payroll to ~$150M at the start of the 2017 season, they would still have a ton of financial flexibility going into 2018.

Maybe not a ton, since, if things go south, Jerry might not be inclined to keep a high payroll.

I really do think that if the 2017 White Sox are hot garbage (after adding this offseason), they'll trade most of their assets. I feel like Hahn has been managing fans expectations in a way that indicates that direction.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
Maybe not a ton, since, if things go south, Jerry might not be inclined to keep a high payroll.

I really do think that if the 2017 White Sox are hot garbage (after adding this offseason), they'll trade most of their assets. I feel like Hahn has been managing fans expectations in a way that indicates that direction.

But that's the thing. By trading two expiring contracts (Melky and Frazier) and another expiring after the 2018 season (Robertson) at next year's deadline if they are not competitive, they'd be clearing a ton of payroll while keeping the core intact to add to again in the 2017-2018 offseason. That's why a guy like Reddick makes a lot of sense now and in the future. No QO, not a mega contract like Cespedes, and you plug him into LF until 2020/2021. Same can be said about Wieters and to a lesser extent Melancon due to age.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

I still think the Sox do some type of a rebuild but I think Q stays, he has 4 years left and realistically be on the team when the Sox are good again. I thnk Sale, Robertson, Frazier, Melky and maybe 1 or 2 more guys are dealt this offseason. Trying to add on to this team in the UFA market wouldn't be wise because after watching Cleveland in the postseason, the Sox aren't even close to competing with them next year especially when you consider they didn't have Brantley or Carrasco playing and Salazar was regulated to the bullpen because of his injury. Sox need to get younger and try to build a team that can sustain success over time as the current model hasn't worked.

Here's my off-season plan (full rebuild) for our beloved ChiSox:

Trades:

Chris Sale and Nate Jones to the Boston Red Sox for OF Andrew Benintendi, RHP Eduardo Rodriguez, 3B Rafael Devers, 1B Sam Travis, OF Luis Alexander Basabe and C Christian Vazquez. FINALLY! The blockbuster deal we've all been waiting for. Red Sox get their ace and power arm they're looking for in their pen. DD caves and gives up the farm in this deal.

Jose Quintana to the Washington Nationals for RHP Lucas Giolito, RHP Erick Fedde, and OF Andrew Stevenson. The Sox get Giolito after the Nats can't close the Sale deal and get the Sox second ace to help their quest in another postseason run at a World Series which is why they give up the prized young future star in Giolito.

Jose Abreu to the Houston Astros for RHP Francis Martes, OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Albert Abreu. The Astros get the 1B they need to infuse their lineup. They're interested in Miggy as well but Abreu is younger and cheaper.

Todd Frazier to the New York Mets for 1B Dominic Smith and RHP Justin Dunn. With David Wright's health uncertainty, the Mets acquire a power hitting 3B they need.

David Robertson to the New York Yankees for RHP Domingo Acevedo and C Luis Torrens. Robertson is sent back to the Bronx to give them a familiar, cheaper alternative to Chapman and Jansen.

Melky Cabrera to the Arizona Diamondbacks for 2B Domingo Leyba, SS Jack Reinheimer and C Ryan January. Sox get a nice return for Melky from a DBacks team that needs a LF.

Adam Eaton to the Los Angeles Dodgers for 1B Cody Bellinger, RHP Jose De Leon, and OF Yasiel Puig. The Sox land 2 great young prospects and a change of scenery OFer with tremendous potential.

Rotation: Pen:

Shields RHP Putnam RHP

Rodon LHP Petricka RHP

Gonzalez RHP Jennings LHP

Fulmer RHP Ynoa RHP

Rodriguez LHP Hochevar RHP

Storen RHP

CP-Burdi

LF-Yasiel Puig CF-Charlie Tilson RF-Rymer Liriano

3B-Matt Davidson SS-Tim Anderson 2B-Tyler Saladino 1B-James Loney DH-Justin Morneau

C-Wilson Ramos/Christian Vazquez

Bench: 4th OF, utility IF-Carlos Sanchez, Backup C-Christian Vazquez

FA signings:

P Drew Storen 1yr $7 million. Sox try to fix Storen as the set-up man for Burdi.

P Luke Hochevar 1 yr $4 million. Depth to the bullpen.

C Wilson Ramos 1yr $9 million. Sox take a worth while gamble on Ramos who likely won't return till April or May at the earliest.

DH Justin Morneau 1yr $5 million. Sox bring back Morneau to fill the DH spot.

1B James Loney 1yr $5 million. Sox sign Loney to fill 1B void.

Lineup:

1. Tilson CF

2. Saladino 2B

3. Puig LF

4. Morneau DH

5. Davidson 3B

6. Anderson SS

7. Loney 1B

8. Vazquez C

9. Liriano RF

Rick Hahn and the scouting department help replenish the Sox farm into the best in baseball by adding 18 prospects. It'll be a rough few of seasons but he Sox will be competing for real this time when they're ready. The Sox wipe the slate clean of all the veterans and begin the rebuilding process.

Sox make some FA moves to fill the roster out in a rebuilding season and in hopes some of them bounce back and are able to flip them at the deadline.

Flame away boys!

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 02:30 AM)

Trades:

Chris Sale and Nate Jones to the Boston Red Sox for OF Andrew Benintendi, RHP Eduardo Rodriguez, 3B Rafael Devers, 1B Sam Travis, OF Luis Alexander Basabe and C Christian Vazquez. FINALLY! The blockbuster deal we've all been waiting for. Red Sox get their ace and power arm they're looking for in their pen. DD caves and gives up the farm in this deal.

Jose Quintana to the Washington Nationals for RHP Lucas Giolito, RHP Erick Fedde, and OF Andrew Stevenson. The Sox get Giolito after the Nats can't close the Sale deal and get the Sox second ace to help their quest in another postseason run at a World Series which is why they give up the prized young future star in Giolito.

Jose Abreu to the Houston Astros for RHP Francis Martes, OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Albert Abreu. The Astros get the 1B they need to infuse their lineup. They're interested in Miggy as well but Abreu is younger and cheaper.

Todd Frazier to the New York Mets for 1B Dominic Smith and RHP Justin Dunn. With David Wright's health uncertainty, the Mets acquire a power hitting 3B they need.

David Robertson to the New York Yankees for RHP Domingo Acevedo and C Luis Torrens. Robertson is sent back to the Bronx to give them a familiar, cheaper alternative to Chapman and Jansen.

Melky Cabrera to the Arizona Diamondbacks for 2B Domingo Leyba, SS Jack Reinheimer and C Ryan January. Sox get a nice return for Melky from a DBacks team that needs a LF.

Adam Eaton to the Los Angeles Dodgers for 1B Cody Bellinger, RHP Jose De Leon, and OF Yasiel Puig. The Sox land 2 great young prospects and a change of scenery OFer with tremendous potential.

Shields RHP Putnam RHP

Rodon LHP Petricka RHP

Fulmer RHP Ynoa RHP

Storen RHP

CP-Burdi

3B-Matt Davidson SS-Tim Anderson 2B-Tyler Saladino 1B-James Loney DH-Justin Morneau

FA signings:

P Drew Storen 1yr $7 million. Sox try to fix Storen as the set-up man for Burdi.

C Wilson Ramos 1yr $9 million. Sox take a worth while gamble on Ramos who likely won't return till April or May at the earliest.

Lineup:

1. Tilson CF

2. Saladino 2B

3. Puig LF

4. Morneau DH

5. Davidson 3B

6. Anderson SS

7. Loney 1B

8. Vazquez C

9. Liriano RF

Rick Hahn and the scouting department help replenish the Sox farm into the best in baseball by adding 18 prospects. It'll be a rough few of seasons but he Sox will be competing for real this time when they're ready. The Sox wipe the slate clean of all the veterans and begin the rebuilding process.

Sox make some FA moves to fill the roster out in a rebuilding season and in hopes some of them bounce back and are able to flip them at the deadline.

Flame away boys!

I would try to deal Nate Jones separately, or at least include him in the Yankees trade and bring back Rutherford and a low level guy. Take Jones and Vazquez out of your Red Sox/Sale trade.

I think that's a huge overpay for Abreu. I don't think his value is that high.

I like the Quintana trade, but I feel the Adam Eaton trade is light. Add in 2B Willie Calhoun and SS Gavin Lux. Remove Puig.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 03:30 AM)

Flame away boys!

One question. Who do we take with the #1 pick in the draft the next year?

And Puig would be awful on that team would be a cancer and distraction with how bad the team would suck. I only like him as a bounce back candidate on a team that is playoff bound.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 02:59 AM)
I would try to deal Nate Jones separately, or at least include him in the Yankees trade and bring back Rutherford and a low level guy. Take Jones and Vazquez out of your Red Sox/Sale trade.

I like the Quintana trade, but I feel the Adam Eaton trade is light. Add in 2B Willie Calhoun and SS Gavin Lux. Remove Puig.

I agree with all these points. I think people are really sleeping on how valuable Nate Jones is. He's locked up for the next four years at a total price of $18M, which is less than Jansen & Chapman might make in a single year. IMO, he's a serious trade chip and should command a huge package on his own. The Ken Giles deal is what we should be aiming for. The proposed Red Sox deal above greatly undervalues both of these players IMO.

The proposed Abreu deal is definitely a huge overpay and will not happen. I think he's worth more than some posters here think, but he's not commanding three top 100 prospects. I do wonder if the Astros would be willing to do a straight Abreu for A.J. Reed swap. I actually think that trade make a lot of sense for both sides.

That Eaton trade is ridiculously light. We're talking about a guy who might put up $200M in surplus value over the next five years of his contract. Cody Bellinger is a nice looking prospect, but he can not be the second piece in an Eaton deal. We'd need a decent major league piece plus multiple prospects to come close to fair value. Replace Puig with Pederson and add in another piece like Lux and we have a deal worth considering.

Also, you're going to be very disappointed with any Melky trade. He's not going net us much in return IMO.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 12:30 AM)

Trades:

Shields RHP Putnam RHP

Rodon LHP Petricka RHP

Fulmer RHP Ynoa RHP

Storen RHP

CP-Burdi

FA signings:

Lineup:

1. Tilson CF

2. Saladino 2B

3. Puig LF

4. Morneau DH

5. Davidson 3B

6. Anderson SS

7. Loney 1B

8. Vazquez C

9. Liriano RF

Flame away boys!

I like the effort you put into it too much to knock any of the trades. However you did trade for Benintendi but he's not a starter in the OF ? He's arguably the best piece you got from the trades and ML ready.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 03:59 AM)

I agree and just included him to get the best possible package from Boston.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
I like the effort you put into it too much to knock any of the trades. However you did trade for Benintendi but he's not a starter in the OF ? He's arguably the best piece you got from the trades and ML ready.

I sat for over an hour reading about prospects and who fits with us.

I'd put him in AAA to get more seasoning.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 05:45 AM)

I'd be so freaking stoked if this all happened. I'd gladly watch up lose 100 games in 17 and 90 in 18.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
Add in back to back top 5, maybe number 1 picks and we're back.

Exactly. I just don't know if we could literally get 18 prospects of that level or not. Who really knows what's realistic and what's not... aside from actual front office folks.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
You aint getting De Leon, Bellinger and Puig for Eaton. You'd be lucky to get one of Bellinger or De Leon.

I disagree strongly. Puig doesn't have a lot of value and is in need of change of scenery, thus why he's the last piece in the deal. Eaton can absolutely fetch those first two.