Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 11:03 PM)
Moncada's 20 at-bats and the results of the AFL are getting way too much play here.

Isn't that one of the largest reasons we ended up with Tyler Flowers?

Another example, Adam Engel was the best hitter there (average-wise) and he's barely a Top 20 prospect with the Sox now...on the other hand, there's already so much hype around Torres, it's now or never to get a player like that before he repeats it at AA and gets called up at the end of the year.

Of course, for any team holding such Top 30ish players, there's the equal danger he tanks like AJ Reed or Gallo and loses a lot of his luster in quick fashion.

Judge strikes out far too often for my liking. I would be more lenient with a small sample size, but he turns 25 in a few months and is not exactly a "young" prospect anymore.

Torres + Frazier ++ is what it would take, and I do not think the Yankees are willing to pay that price

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
Judge strikes out far too often for my liking. I would be more lenient with a small sample size, but he turns 25 in a few months and is not exactly a "young" prospect anymore.

Torres + Frazier ++ is what it would take, and I do not think the Yankees are willing to pay that price

I have a feeling it was more due diligence as Morosi reported they've called just about every team for pitching.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
Plenty of GM's go about doing their due diligence without it getting reported by the media. Cashman is more serious than many are letting on.

If he's serious about acquiring him, then Torres + Frazier starts the conversation. Sox should not settle for anything less

Judge and Mateo's stock are both down, and Rutherford is minimum 3+ seasons away from the majors

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
Plenty of GM's go about doing their due diligence without it getting reported by the media. Cashman is more serious than many are letting on.

But its not just "plenty of GM's." It's the GM of the Yankees. Anything they say or do is reported. You can't go a day on MLBtr without seeing some sort of Yankees update.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
But its not just "plenty of GM's." It's the GM of the Yankees. Anything they say or do is reported. You can't go a day on MLBtr without seeing some sort of Yankees update.

I see the Yankees interest being that of the Braves on Chris Sale. They are checking in to see what the price would be, and then never really getting serious by putting premium players on the table.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
I made a pretty long post about why the Yankees interest in Quintana makes too much sense, I don't want to repeat myself. I doubt the first time Hahn and Cashman touched base on Q was yesterday, so the timing of that report from Morosi is interesting.

You could have included a link to the post, I tried to find it and couldn't.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
If he's serious about acquiring him, then Torres + Frazier starts the conversation. Sox should not settle for anything less

Judge and Mateo's stock are both down, and Rutherford is minimum 3+ seasons away from the majors

That's putting it midly. That's like Yankee fans trading say.. Tanaka (minus the contract and injury history of course) to us and wanting Davidson + back. Neither guy is in any deal for Q for me, especially Judge who will be 25 when the season starts and makes Jermaine Dye look good in RF.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
That's putting it midly. That's like Yankee fans trading say.. Tanaka (minus the contract and injury history of course) to us and wanting Davidson + back. Neither guy is in any deal for Q for me, especially Judge who will be 25 when the season starts and makes Jermaine Dye look good in RF.

Hahn is not an idiot

The only true gems in the Yankee system are Frazier and Torres. Everything else looks pretty overrated to me.

Judge is going to be 25, plays questionable defense and strikes out too much. Mateo regressed in high A ball this season and got suspended for breaking organizational rules (whatever that means).

Rutherford is too far from the majors to fit with our rebuild strategy and has never played above rookie ball. They have other interesting prospects, but the quality takes a significant step down from there.

Torres + Frazier ++ gets them Quintana. Anything less hard pass

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 04:22 AM)
The ~rebuilding Yankees may need Quintana more than even the win-now Astros. After 2017 both Sabathia and Pineda are free agents and Tanaka has an opt out that he will almost surely take if he has another good season. The best pitcher on their 25 man right now who they will have control over in 2018 is either Luis Severino or Ivan Nova.

Now next years crop of pitching on the free agent market is crazy good. Arrieta, Darvish, Cueto, Tanaka, Duffy and Estrada will all be available plus a bunch of guys like Lance Lynn, (our own) Miguel Gonzalez, Jaime Garcia, Clay Buchholz etc. who could become a lot more desirable with a strong 2017. The Yankees are almost assuredly going to sign one of these guys, if not two or three. However a lot of very rich, very pitching hungry franchises are going to be going hunting for pitching as well and the Yankees still must concern themselves with saving money for the truly monster 2018-19 class. Its not a secret that they want Harper, and they have to balance having enough available payroll for Harper with having a good enough team to lure (a possibly ringless) Harper to New York. Quintana, king of the rotation workhorses on a team friendly deal for another 4 years, would go a long way to alleviating some of the Yankees' long term pitching concerns while barely denting the Yankees payroll.

That said its pretty obvious the Yankees plan is to just attack as many postions as possible with prospects and fill in with monster free agents megadeals. As much as they'd like Quintana they would be stupid to sell more than one of their headliners to get him. If anything they'd want to deal from their system depth and for a team like the White Sox that has such a top heavy system that's not a bad match. Five-for-one deals are rare, but I could see it here.

Great analysis. Could you also argue this is why we need to trade Q this year? The supply of pitchers is low now and will be greater next year , Q will have one year less of control, thus the price may drop. If you don't get what you want now and next years offers do drop, I think you may consider keeping Q in the mentor role. Also in a year some of the Yankees prospects will progress up to higher levels and have more value. They have such a quantity of prospects that if they feel they won't get to the playoffs this year they are better off waiting a year. Because of failure risk, you may get 4 players this year but 3 next.

For me I want Torres + one of (Rutherford, Sheffield, Andujar, Kaprielian) + one of (Fowler, Adams, Wade) + Sands(catcher prospect)

Edited by BamaDoc

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 12:59 AM)
Frazier is build like a brick s***house. Legs like tree trucks and arms all jacked up.

s*** man, I could swear Frazier works out with Carrot Top. :lol:

Since the Yanks have kicked the tires on Q, I'll go ahead and indulge. I think I'd be pretty happy with a package of Frazier, Mateo, Fowler and Montgomery.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
Great analysis. Could you also argue this is why we need to trade Q this year? The supply of pitchers is low now and will be greater next year , Q will have one year less of control, thus the price may drop. If you don't get what you want now and next years offers do drop, I think you may consider keeping Q in the mentor role. Also in a year some of the Yankees prospects will progress up to higher levels and have more value. They have such a quantity of prospects that if they feel they won't get to the playoffs this year they are better off waiting a year. Because of failure risk, you may get 4 players this year but 3 next.

For me I want Torres + one of (Rutherford, Sheffield, Andujar, Kaprielian) + one of (Fowler, Adams, Wade) + Sands(catcher prospect)

We can get depth and quality with a Quintana deal. I don't want one headliner plus a bunch of lottery tickets for 4 cheap seasons of Quintana. We must get a return like the Sale deal for him

Torres + Frazier + Montgomery + Sands is a package I could see working

Remember, Andrew Miller's 2 1/2 seasons netted the Yankees Frazier + Sheffield + two more prospects

A Chapman three month rental netted the Yankees Torres + Warren + McKinney + Crawford

Anything less than a Torres + Frazier ++ package would be us selling Quintana for less than he is worth.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
Hahn is not an idiot

The only true gems in the Yankee system are Frazier and Torres. Everything else looks pretty overrated to me.

Nah Rutherford is pretty damn good. Like raBBit said earlier in this thread, he was actually talked about as a top 3 prospect heading into the draft. Good patience at the plate, (sox are going toward this more) solid contact, good defensively, etc. We'll see what happens with this kid, but keep an eye on Nick Solak as well. Yankee scouts were high on him in the draft as well. And Greg Bird WAS looking very good as a prospect until his shoulder injury. He's up in the air now.

Virtually every trade package has the White Sox taking 19 year olds as headliners. We are going to get more risk in a Quintana trade, but the MLB has just seen a huge graduation of players last year so that should be expected. Let's just trust our scouts.

If we get Torres, I'd feel thrilled.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
Virtually every trade package has the White Sox taking 19 year olds as headliners. We are going to get more risk in a Quintana trade, but the MLB has just seen a huge graduation of players last year so that should be expected. Let's just trust our scouts.

If we get Torres, I'd feel thrilled.

Where are you seeing this?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Where are you seeing this?

From this board. In Houston we are talking Tucker. NY outside of Frazier and Sheffield (whom I'd bet anything NY will not trade in regards to JS) is Torres/Mateo, Rockies is Rodgers.

If we want near ready position players they look a lot more like Judge, whom the board is terrified of.

I know this is dumb, but the thing that makes me most hopeful of a Q to Yanks trade is their fans have been the most excited by it and reasonable on what it takes to get him.

And yes, that is based off of a single blog and twitter replies ha

QUOTE (Username @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
JP Morosi just went on MLB network and said the Yankees interest is "definitely serious" and Q would be a future piece as well, which makes it less painful for the Yankees to unload top prospects.

That is next level stuff. Interesting.