Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

I've seen the opposite.

They are split. Some say he's untouchable some say he must be included. I think Meadow's been included in proposals and that is what has put all this momentum behind the Pirates rumors.

That said I dont expect him to be a part of the return because I refuse to get my hopes up.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
I've seen a lot of comments like this too from Pirates fans. Like they want them to get Q at all costs but are very skeptical the organization will actually do it. If there was ever a guy to put all your chips on, it would be someone as durable and consistent and cheap as Q.

This sounds a lot like the Pirate fanbase to me.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Pirates get: Quintana and Granderson (1 year left)

Mets get: McCuthcen and Robertson

Sox get: Bell, Glasnow, Conforto, Smith, and Dunn

Thoughts? At first though, I think this is light from the Mets side.

Why would the White Sox want to acquire Bell and Smith? Makes no sense since both are 1B/DH only players

Feels light from the Mets

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
Abreu won't be expensive (relatively of course) until he's a free agent. Don't let the word arbitration scare you, he's not going to make much more than his original 6 year contract called for even he goes through arb 2 more times.

I was using the pirates view of expensive. I think it would start to get pricey for them especially if they keep the team as is and add Q.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Pirates get: Quintana and Granderson (1 year left)

Mets get: McCuthcen and Robertson

Sox get: Bell, Glasnow, Conforto, Smith, and Dunn

Thoughts? At first though, I think this is light from the Mets side.

That would be a horrible trade for the Pirates IMO.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Why would the White Sox want to acquire Bell and Smith? Makes no sense since both are 1B/DH only players

Feels light from the Mets

Just realized this lol.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
That would be a horrible trade for the Pirates IMO.

Yeah I thought so. I was just spit balling. I failed.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
This. The number of the people that don't understand Abreu's contract situation, especially after what he just agreed to for his 2017 salary, is staggering.

Adding Abreu even at arb prices will increase the payroll especially when they have Bell really cheap already. under 1 mil

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
This will be very interesting if its a 3 way trade but super complicated. I haven't seen one yet where I completely get motivation from all three sides.

Yeah I agree. I don't see a scenario where the Pirates don't get fleeced and the Mets don't give up enough

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
Yeah I agree. I don't see a scenario where the Pirates don't get fleeced and the Mets don't give up enough

Exactly, especially since I'm not quite sure why they are focused on McCutchen to start with

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
Exactly, especially since I'm not quite sure why they are focused on McCutchen to start with

Pirates fans seem the most willing to take the plunge and trade for Quintana

All other teams are hugging their precious prospects

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)

Yeah, i don't get it unless they don't want to play Cespedes in CF. They have Cespedes, Bruce, Granderson, and Conforto in the OF already.

White Sox Get: Tyler Glasnow((Pit), Dominic Smithl(NY), Austin Meadows(Pit)

Mets Gets: Andrew McCuthen(Pit) and David Robertson(Chi)

Pirates Get: Jose Quintana(Chi), Michael Comforto(NY) Justin Dunn (NY)

Pirates get two high end guys with control and a young prospect

Mets: They get there centerfielder and closer

White Sox: We get two high end position players with a young stud prospect pitcher.

Close?

Edited by kwill

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
This will be very interesting if its a 3 way trade but super complicated. I haven't seen one yet where I completely get motivation from all three sides.

Other than the fun of idle speculation, I don't see why the complication of a three-way trade is really relevant here. The Pirates have three good to great starting major league OFs, one signed through 2018, one through 2021 and the third through 2023. They can absolutely afford to part with a prospect like Meadows to acquire a starting pitcher of the caliber of Quintana. The match up for a trade makes perfect sense.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
Other than the fun of idle speculation, I don't see why the complication of a three-way trade is really relevant here. The Pirates have three good to great starting major league OFs, one signed through 2018, one through 2021 and the third through 2023. They can absolutely afford to part with a prospect like Meadows to acquire a starting pitcher of the caliber of Quintana. The match up for a trade makes perfect sense.

I think it would also kind of hinge on if the Mets could move Granderson or Bruce. They have a logjam in the OF currently and a three team deal where they move Conforto but acquire McCutchen doesn't help that. It would only give them a "CF" (quotes because personally I don't think he is one anymore but apparently, the Mets do lol).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)

White Sox: We get two high end position players with a young stud prospect pitcher.

Close?

This is a good example for me. I don't see why Pirates would feel need to include 3rd team if they still need to trade Meadows. I would assume 3rd team is to prevent losing Meadows/Bell.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
This is a good example for me. I don't see why Pirates would feel need to include 3rd team if they still need to trade Meadows. I would assume 3rd team is to prevent losing Meadows/Bell.

They would be able to keep Bell and still get a controllable outfielder in Comforto. They could then move Marte to ceneterfielf.

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)

Close?

It's an interesting proposal, tons of moving parts

White Sox would likely accept that deal. Not sure if it is in the Mets long term interest to part with Smith, Conforto and Dunn though

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
They would be able to keep Bell and still get a controllable outfielder in Comforto. They could then move Marte to ceneterfielf.

But are you better with Conforto in LF than Cutch? Even his down year was better than Conforto last year.