Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4m4 minutes ago

On other hand, one #Nationals player sent me this text: "WTF?!?!" Team still needs closer. Likely out on big two. Melancon, Davis off board.

Bryce HarperVerified account ‏@Bharper3407 9m9 minutes ago

Wow...

Yeah, Bryce ain't happy. lol

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
I'm still not sure why you don't think this is a GOOD thing. They NEED to suck for a couple of seasons to get good players. That's how this game works. We're not going to outspend the contenders in payroll.

He is actually Ken Williams

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4m4 minutes ago

On other hand, one #Nationals player sent me this text: "WTF?!?!" Team still needs closer. Likely out on big two. Melancon, Davis off board.

Bryce HarperVerified account ‏@Bharper3407 9m9 minutes ago

Wow...

Yeah, Bryce ain't happy. lol

Someone's there to possibly take his jerrbbbb

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
With all of the position players out there, there are plenty of smarter deals. I have littered multiple threads with all kinds of names that made more sense for the White Sox. A deal with Washington can include a Gio or Lopez, but you have got to bring back a Robles too, even if means you take less than a Dunning at the 3rd player. At the end of the Red Sox deal, don't bring back a reliever, bring back a position player of some sort.

For Adam Eaton?

Now you're really grasping at straws.

And Basabe is a position player at the back end. This feels like arguing just to argue.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
I'm still not sure why you don't think this is a GOOD thing. They NEED to suck for a couple of seasons to get good players. That's how this game works. We're not going to outspend the contenders in payroll.

I don't think we have to suck cause draft picks in baseball are still a major crap shoot, but I do agree we had to make the moves we are doing to infuse the talent and give us a huge head start in pushing the restart button. Plus, while the Cubs had more money to spend, we have Q/Sale/Eaton/Jones/Robertson/Frazier/Melky to leverage to off-set some of the impacts of the Cubs spending more in FA / internationally.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
I don't think we have to suck cause draft picks in baseball are still a major crap shoot, but I do agree we had to make the moves we are doing to infuse the talent and give us a huge head start in pushing the restart button. Plus, while the Cubs had more money to spend, we have Q/Sale/Eaton/Jones/Robertson/Frazier/Melky to leverage to off-set some of the impacts of the Cubs spending more in FA / internationally.

The #1 and #2 picks are almost always solid regulars at worst and on average are stars. Sox don't just need to be mediocre, they need to SUCK. Getting one of the top two picks the next two years is critical.

Sign Albers and Latos asap.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
The #1 and #2 picks are almost always solid regulars at worst and on average are stars. Sox don't just need to be mediocre, they need to SUCK. Getting one of the top two picks the next two years is critical.

Sign Albers and Latos asap.

No...we need to draft well and develop talent. I think everyone totally overrates top picks in baseball, especially in this era where you will no longer really be able to leverage the "extra" cash for more draft picks (since they are retinkering with the funds). Teams that pick in the top 5 don't just automatically get good. EVeryone here is totally overselling that piece. We need to draft well and higher you pick helps, but baseball draft is a huge huge f***ing crapshoot. Christopher Sale / Mike Trout are just some examples where the best player wasn't anywhere near the top 2 or 3 picks.

Criticality is on our talent development. Also, look at last few years...a ton of high picks have totally busted (and that isn't anything unusual either). This isn't the NBA where the value of a top pick is clearly huge.

Just to be a party pooper(not really) but the media is of course going to love this deal for the Sox. Eaton just isn't a big name and since he doesn't put up huge offensive numbers there are going to be a ton of people that don't love the deal, especially when a guy like Giolito who has been a big name prospect on is on the move for the Nats.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:05 PM)
No...we need to draft well and develop talent. I think everyone totally overrates top picks in baseball, especially in this era where you will no longer really be able to leverage the "extra" cash for more draft picks (since they are retinkering with the funds). Teams that pick in the top 5 don't just automatically get good. EVeryone here is totally overselling that piece. We need to draft well and higher you pick helps, but baseball draft is a huge huge f***ing crapshoot. Christopher Sale / Mike Trout are just some examples where the best player wasn't anywhere near the top 2 or 3 picks.

Criticality is on our talent development. Also, look at last few years...a ton of high picks have totally busted (and that isn't anything unusual either). This isn't the NBA where the value of a top pick is clearly huge.

sorry, you're wrong historically:

Net-WAR-by-draft-pick-pre-free-agency-65

What I love about this trade is that when the dust settles, and we look up, and see that Sale and Q are no longer here, what we will see are the names Rodon, Fulmer, Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Hansen, and Burdi. That is as promising a view on the pitching standpoint as any team in baseball, even after giving up the two elite guys. But we'll also see the future MVP in Moncada, whomever we get for Q (obviously presuming top positional prospects), Anderson, and Collins for positional players. How is THAT for your new core! No, this is encouraging, Ladies and Gentlemen. Very encouraging, indeed. Certainly more so than living through continued Rollins, Navarro, Jackson, and Latos signings. Good riddance to that nonsense!

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:06 PM)
Just to be a party pooper(not really) but the media is of course going to love this deal for the Sox. Eaton just isn't a big name and since he doesn't put up huge offensive numbers there are going to be a ton of people that don't love the deal, especially when a guy like Giolito who has been a big name prospect on is on the move for the Nats.

I'm sure that's why lots of Nats fans are pissed. They don't think all-star when the name Adam Eaton pops up.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
What I love about this trade is that when the dust settles, and we look up, and see that Sale and Q are no longer here, what we will see are the names Rodon, Fulmer, Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Hansen, and Burdi. That is as promising a view on the pitching standpoint as any team in baseball, even after giving up the two elite guys. But we'll also see the future MVP in Moncada, whomever we get for Q (obviously presuming top positional prospects), Anderson, and Collins for positional players. How is THAT for your new core! No, this is encouraging, Ladies and Gentlemen. Very encouraging, indeed. Certainly more so than living through continued Rollins, Navarro, Jackson, and Latos signings. Good riddance to that nonsense!

The irony here is that those are the exact sorts of players you will be watching this year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
I'm sure that's why lots of Nats fans are pissed. They don't think all-star when the name Adam Eaton pops up.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
Was just thinking that. I flipped on MLB Network and they are basically killing the Nats.

If Eaton is batting leadoff for the 1st place Nats, the national media will start to understand his value more.

Exactly. I love the move for the Sox but I definitely see what the Nats are doing. That said it is a bit weird since he's going to be playing center this year but hey they got their Bryce replacement in right field too I guess.